31 years ago today we lost Jungle... (1 Viewer)

My father-in-law grew up with Jim, man, the stories he tells. Wish I was old enough to have met him.

"Jungle" was my childhood hero, counter culture and cool, a rock star in a fire suit. While I only got to witness seven years of his career it was seven spectacular and memorable years. A true living legend when he was around and a spirit who's story grows stonger in our memories. "Jungle", those who saw your act will never forget!! :)

I've been very fortunate over the last couple of years to have spent time with a few people who knew and ran with him. When one was with me earlier this year and "Desperado" started playing over the radio, he talked about what it was like to be sitting in a motel late on a quiet night and hearing that song being played on a harmonica, how most people don't know he was an accomplished player of that instrument.

Some of the stories I've heard I definitely can't repeat. How many are true? LOL.

From a marketing and showmanship standpoint, he was obviously THE MAN with nitro funny cars. It's often wondered how things would have been if he were still alive.

R.I.P.

There is a reason I'm depressed this time of year, besides getting older this week... starting with Labor Day Weekend I've lost to many of my Heros to the month of September. Zoo, Dickie, Elmer, Blaine, Jungle.

31 years ago, I'd just gotten back to the coast. 31 years ago, I was making plans to go to my sister's to celebrate my 23rd... evening of the tenth, riding home from work on the bus, there it was in the Garden Grove Evening News...

and here I've gone and depressed myself again...

d'kid
being a virgo sucks

What a showman he was. I will be proudly wearing my jungle t-shirt to my Dr's appointment today.

At New England Dragway he would drive back down the track to the starting line after wnining a race. Then hop out and wave to the crowd. He was one of the younger drivers and very cool. No one has ever replaced him. Somehow Funny Car racing was better back then. More seat of the pants.
Lots of blown motors, wheelstands , sideways travel , and much better burnouts, he would sometimes smoke them almost to the finish line before backing up, when Shirley raced against him she would equal his bunouts.
I feel lucky to have seen him race, and Pam was not hard to look at either.

Pulling in to Connecticut Dragway,1971. Dennis Doubleday

IMG168-1221009884.jpg

IMG168-1221009982.jpg

More pictures of Connecticut!! Keep them coming! I'd love to take a walk through.

To show how popular he was, today there are twice as many "genuine" former Jungle cars restored, than Jungle ever had.

Jay

Jungle was one of a kind... Got to know him very well, when I drove for Coil..
I even drove his car one night at US 30 in Chicago.. He was having a Spat with Pam, and decided to leave.. He told Coil.. "Put Savage in the car, I'll see ya later".. We were runner up, and set Low ET... One of many stories..:)
Denny

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back