Tony Shoe's Race wins- Bad for the Sport? (1 Viewer)

I guess if you look back through history at what we percieve to a great crew chief, or a great driver that won a championship together; one can and more than likely has always said he wouldn't win without so and so turning the wrenches, or so and so behind the wheel. More cases than not I believe it takes those 2 persons working in conjunction to get anything done in the way of a championship at that particular point in history.

You can look through history at splits between a successful crew chief or driver and sometimes neither regained championship form.

The opposite of somebody always winning is nobody ever winning. You don't need a PhD to figure out what'd happen next. Someone is always going to be dominant, in all ways: The most money to spend. The most talented crew. Most talented driver. Even when it's close, someone always wins.

It keeps us arguing. That's good for the sport.

I guess if you look back through history at what we percieve to a great crew chief, or a great driver that won a championship together; one can and more than likely has always said he wouldn't win without so and so turning the wrenches, or so and so behind the wheel. More cases than not I believe it takes those 2 persons working in conjunction to get anything done in the way of a championship at that particular point in history.

You can look through history at splits between a successful crew chief or driver and sometimes neither regained championship form.

Yeah, there's also chemistry. A good case in point was the ill-fated DSR pro stock venture with Bob Glidden and Jeggie. When I first saw the story on NHRA's site, I figured "Jeggie + Bob Glidden = goodness."

Well it turned out to be the opposite of that. True, they did win a race but that's it.

Shoe is one of the best no doubt. But like Densham said .....at today's prices...soon there will only be the "haves and the have nots" (paraphrased) leaving only a handful of teams:(

Last edited:
I remember reading an interview a while back with prudhomme , he talked about when he was driving for roland leong and that when he left he thought that he would still win because of his driving ability and he said that he turned out to be wrong and that the hawaian car had alot to do with him winning

That makes sense. Huh. How novel of an idea!

How foolish it would be to think AJ isn't one of the primary factors to TS's success the past 4 years...but on the other hand - if they had a bitter relationship and Tony couldn't drive to save his life, you think AJ wouldn't look elsewhere? There's a topic for discussion.

DLB

All Tony is doing is bringing attention to this sport. Granted we all want to go out and see a different show every time, and it gets a little boring seeing him win all the time, but let's admit it, the country likes winners. Oh yeah we also like hot women too, and the only thing that really grabs the attention of the people are dominant athletes that win all the time, hot up and coming females (Ashley Force etc.), and our favorite hot female athletes that win!! So for the popularity of the sport, yes he is doing good. Also he is giving the other drivers something to strive for, a target to obtain, and once they are there, he is better and a new goal is set. So for as much as I do not like the idea of his team winning in such a dominant fashion, he is doing good things for this sport.

Hey Mike, I enjoy your posts, and it's cool to see that you're involved in the sport, I was a big fan of your dad and his Chevy. Are you still racing anything yourself these days?
Also, I was thinking about something else that makes the Army car's dominance so amazing. When Bernstein and Force dominated FC, they had tuners who were real envelope pushers, and it was back when innovation could give you a big hammer on the field, at least until everyone caught up. In the current era, it's really hard to develop anything new in the fuel classes that is legal and will give any kind of advantage, so AJ & Tony really have just got the chemistry and the combo right now that is hard to beat. But they can, and will, be beat. In the meantime, they deserve every win they get, just like any other racers.

Hey Mike, I enjoy your posts, and it's cool to see that you're involved in the sport, I was a big fan of your dad and his Chevy. Are you still racing anything yourself these days?
Also, I was thinking about something else that makes the Army car's dominance so amazing. When Bernstein and Force dominated FC, they had tuners who were real envelope pushers, and it was back when innovation could give you a big hammer on the field, at least until everyone caught up. In the current era, it's really hard to develop anything new in the fuel classes that is legal and will give any kind of advantage, so AJ & Tony really have just got the chemistry and the combo right now that is hard to beat. But they can, and will, be beat. In the meantime, they deserve every win they get, just like any other racers.

I am not right now. I have to driven my brother's super comp car and may possibly another brother's Top Dragster. I have been working on a sponsor for a Top fuel team and a Funny Car team. ( who isn't looking)

Right now I am helping Racers For Christ whenever I can. I have done some interviews we have put on a cd that is given out at the races. I asked questions that ESPN will not ask.

Here are a few examples;
Tony Schumacher
YouTube - Tony Schumacher believes

John Medlen;
YouTube - John Medlen believes

Ashley Force;
YouTube - ashley force believes

Here is the induction for My dad into the Drag Racing Hall of Fame;
part 1;
YouTube - Jim Bucher hall of fame part 1
part 2;
YouTube - Jim Bucher hall of fame part 2

here is my kids doing music for the RFC Chapel last year at Norwalk, my daughter singing;
YouTube - kgb plays for Jesus

other than that I do Triathlons. I swim, bike, run or lift weights 1-2 hours per day to stay in shape in case I ever get the chance to drive. I am in better shape than at any time in my life. ( just in case)

Mike

Last edited:
I am not right now. I have to driven my brother's super comp car and may possibly another brother's Top Dragster. I have been working on a sponsor for a Top fuel team and a Funny Car team. ( who isn't looking)

Right now I am helping Racers For Christ whenever I can. I have done some interviews we have put on a cd that is given out at the races. I asked questions that ESPN will not ask.

Here are a few examples;
Tony Schumacher
YouTube - Tony Schumacher believes

John Medlen;
YouTube - John Medlen believes

Ashley Force;
YouTube - ashley force believes

Here is the induction for My dad into the Drag Racing Hall of Fame;
part 1;
YouTube - Jim Bucher hall of fame part 1
part 2;
YouTube - Jim Bucher hall of fame part 2

here is my kids doing music for the RFC Chapel last year at Norwalk, my daughter singing;
YouTube - kgb plays for Jesus

other than that I do Triathlons. I swim, bike, run or lift weights 1-2 hours per day to stay in shape in case I ever get the chance to drive. I am in better shape than at any time in my life. ( just in case)

Mike
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

DLB

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back