Tony Shoe's Race wins- Bad for the Sport? (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Admittedly I'm not a Tony fan and love when he gets beat. I love it when when one of my favorite cars and drivers can win, "rip their hearts outs" (thanks Snake) and dominate as most others will admit as doing the same thing, but do you think with Tony winning as much and as often as he has done the last few years is good for the sport? If your like me you see where your favorite is qualified, check where Tony is and try to see where you could meet up. Hopefully, it's on the opposite ladder and if your lucky you will make it to the final, MAYBE get lane choice and have a chance.
I know others in the sport have had winning and dominating streaks thru the years but we really need to have other racers at least HAVING a chance to win.
I know you always have a chance and the saying "s#& happens" and "thats why we still run the race" but my feeling is TF is downright boring right now with Team Shumachers total domination.

It aint there fault they are winning , just like john force winning all those years . They found something a good winning combination , the other teams just need to find there something .

Plus apart from the odd team running BAE engines , they all have pretty much the same parts . So yeah its pretty much tuning and driving

It aint there fault they are winning , just like john force winning all those years . They found something a good winning combination , the other teams just need to find there something .

Exactly...
I find it amazing more than anything that they can accomplish something such as this.

I find it a stitch that in every sport when one team dominates for some period of time, somebody always figures it's "bad for the sport". Then, as always, some other team figures it out, or key players leave the team, and the domination is stalled, or destroyed. Think the Yankees or the Patriots (or the Cowboys when I was a kid) or the Canadians or ... No one stays on top forever.

Who won 3 out of the last 5 FC Championships? 14x Winner John Force? Nope. 3 years ago Greg Anderson "had to be stopped" in PS. Still the issue after Jason and Jeggy won the last two years?

The NHRA Season Champs page is enlightening. Look at the "dominators" throughout the years. They all get beat.

Patience grasshopper :)

Everyone said that F1 was boring when Michael Schumacher/Ferrari were dominating in the early-mid 2000s, but F1's rating went DOWN early last year after Schumacher retired. So I guess people did not get bored with Schumi after all.

I'm not sure if it's bad for the sport, but in my opinion it makes Top Fuel pretty boring. If you are a Tony Schumacher fan, I'm sure you are loving this reign he has over the class. However, If you are not overly fond of Tony Schumacher, it not very enjoyable. It's gotten to the point that if a team makes it to the final, they might as well be happy with getting runner-up. Aparently, the army team cannot be beat so where is the excitement? Everybody knows who's gonna win even before the cars light the top bulb. When Force had his run, there were a few cars that could run with him and looked like they might have been able to beat him. With Schumacher, I mean no offense to the other teams, but there ain't anybody close to him. At this point in my life, I really don't know what's good or bad for the sport anymore but I do know one thing, I'm starting to loose interest in Top Fuel with the same guy winning every week.

Dave

but do you think with Tony winning as much and as often as he has done the last few years is good for the sport?

To answer your question: YES I think it's great. Lets face it, at each race there is gonna be a winner. But to repete, and repete, and repete shows a real champion.

Do you think it would be better to have 24 different winners???

Mike Jordon - Ali - Tiger Woods - Babe Ruth - Garlits - Petty, these names are remembered by folks that don't even follow the sport. Why?? Because they were not "one hit wonders".

Last edited:
Jim, using your logic,
Force winning over and over and over...... bad for the sport.
Bob Glidden, and now Greg anderson, winning over and over.......bad for the sport.

No difference. None.

Well heck lets make the races more interesting
Have all the drivers in each class sit down and start knitting booties or something. Who ever finishes first is the class winner that day. Hey this would make racing more affordable, nitro would be a plenty and affordable.
Just for the fans they could start up the engines in the pits. OH how exciting.
Get real. The racing is just fine like it is.
The dark side racing lose a race now and then, it mixes things up.
With the 1000 ft track the races are closer. Most every car makes it under power to the finish line.
DSR just has the right combo.
Live with it.

Best crew chief add in best crew add in good driver = WINS Sure it would be nice to see others have a win here and there. But till they figure out how to read the track and adjust the timers for the proper area of what the track will take. Oh well to bad for you I win you lose.

One thing for certain is I bet the Boys in Iraq are sure enjoying Tony's Wins.

Really funny. Can deff tell the difference between people who like Schumacher and who dont in this post.

I myself am an underdog fan. I never really like John Force until a couple of years ago for the same reason I dont like Greg Anderson or Tony Shoe now. Like Greg Anderson a lot when he came out and took the Johnsons off their high horse but after a couple of years of just Greg in the spotlight. Tired of it. I used to be a huge fan of Wilky but as he is dominating this season I am not as big of a fan. Take that back. Wilky is awesome the guy is his own tuner and driver. He and Jim Head rule!

But back to what others have said. It gets boring. I dont really watch TF anymore because it seems everytime I do, Shoe wins.:rolleyes: Funny car has been really exciting this year because of the different winners. Different/ sparatic winners brings out emotions that both the drivers and fans can understand and enjoy. The same winner every week is no emotion. "Blah Blah Blah Blah sponsor Blah Blah crew Blah sponsor sponsor Blah".

Nothing against him, nothing against his team. But as Bob Vandergrif put it '"I really hate the Army team"'

my .02

I dont really have a fav current team , but I don't think it matters who you support there isnt really anything that can be done about someone dominating . Everybody is playing by the rules and if one teams just happens to find something then good on them . What are they going to do go upto the dominating team and say "you are winning to much you need to let someone else win" you would probably get laughed out of the pits

I am a Tony Shumacher fan (obviously by the avatar), and have been since well before the current streak of winning began (1998 to be exact).

My perspective, everyone else has the same opportunity. Sure, DSR is likely spending more money of their program than a lot of the independent guys are able to - but that's a different topic. They read the track, tune the car, and send it down the track. Any part of their combo could be nailed by anyone else with the time and effort spent.

Alan Johnson is obviously either the best of one of the best T/F tuners out there. However, he is human. Ever other tuner has the same ability as him to make the decisions he makes on race day.

Now, all that said, I think Paul Flores really summed up the answer the best.

DLB

All sports are identified with their champions. Think back, Force, Bernstein, Prudhomme, Muldowny, Garlits...etc. They set the bar high and made everyone dig deep to knock them off. That is the Army Team now. I think they do a fantastic job representing our sport and our troops. Sooner or later though, there will be a new sheriff in town.................:D

We were so glad when Alan left TAD racing, Well cept for that time they couldn't start in the final at Atlanta.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back