Tony Shoe's Race wins- Bad for the Sport? (1 Viewer)

Doug raced weekly at Knoxville and held the record for most wins until Lasoski took it away.
Remember the Weikert (29) car? Man..Wolfie dominated in that car.

[/hijack x 2]

I got to watch Doug in the 29 on a weekly (when they weren't out of state that is) basis at Williams Grove. Truly one of the all time greats!

Last edited:
That is the most RIDICULOUS thing I have heard! Honestly, do you think this country would EVER not have a military? Someone been eatin' a crack sandwich!!!

more than likely, it is in the political propaganda that if floating around like a turd in the toilet!

We will still have a military but he is on record saying he will greatly reduce it.

Needs more money for federal handouts ect.

Now what has Obama actually ever accomplished? I have not heard that one answered yet.

look past the smooth talking

mike

We will still have a military but he is on record saying he will greatly reduce it.

Needs more money for federal handouts ect.

Now what has Obama actually ever accomplished? I have not heard that one answered yet.

look past the smooth talking

mike

There is a politics room for this. It should probably be addressed there.

There is a politics room for this. It should probably be addressed there.

I agree

I just made a small half kidding comment about the only way Tony could be brought down

Which was not the main point I made before it but that was the only thing commented about.

mike

I agree

I just made a small half kidding comment about the only way Tony could be brought down

Which was not the main point I made before it but that was the only thing commented about.

mike

Mike,

I guess you should understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when it comes to politics on this message board, it has gotten pretty ugly. I will leave it up to the voters in November to decide. Until then, lets talk racing!:D

Yeah, Shoe and AJ are on a pretty good run, but there's been worse (or better depending on who you like) domination before and drag racing is still around. You only have to go back a few years to the days of GA's total domination of PS. We may never see a car as dominant as GA was. In 04 he won 15 races and went to 19 finals. He has the championship won by Indy that year. Think about that for a second. That's unreal. I don't remember the exact number of wins, but 2003-05 GA had something like 35 wins.

Let's not even bring up Lee Shepherd and Bob Glidden. From 1978-1989 one of those guys won the championship. As a matter of fact, from 74-89 only 2 other racers won championships (Larry Lombardo and Dyno Don, 1 champ each).

1990-2004 - JFR domination in FC.
1987-1996 - Dave Schultz won 6 of 10 in PSB
1985-1988 - KB in FC
1975-1978 - Snake in FC

And those are just the guys who won 4 or more championships. There are plenty of other runs with dominant teams. Just pray that the Army team doesn't go on a tear like the Celtics or UCLA Bruins of the 60s, or JFR for that matter!!

Where are these threads?

Tim Wilkerson's Race wins- Bad for the Sport?
Greg Anderson's Race wins- Bad for the Sport?

They both have already clinched a spot to the countdown to 1:confused:

Where are these threads?

Tim Wilkerson's Race wins- Bad for the Sport?
Greg Anderson's Race wins- Bad for the Sport?

They both have already clinched a spot to the countdown to 1:confused:

lol wait until they win 5 or 6 championships and we will probably see those threads , I have noticed it before when somebody new wins everyone is like yaaaayy then when they win all the time people start to dislike it .

The one real advantage Alan Johnson has is he makes alot of the main engine parts that most teams use , like blocks heads and stuff . So if any new stuff comes out that team probably has it first , but I still wouldnt call that unfair I would call it good on him for thinking of an improvement.

I know Alan Johnson is amazing but he is not God and he would be the first to admit it.
I have an interesting (not too well known) story about the season of " The Run".

Tony had asked one of my sons and I to testing after the Columbus race. It was cool, we got to ride around in his golf cart to the starting line with him. Ride it down the track and ride him back. Toss football between runs. We also got to talk alot. Tony was asking me alot of Bible questions ( he is very interested in learning). He was about 360 points behind in the Championship. He told me how many interviewers were asking him if he was ready to concede. That the season was over. I remember having this feeling that it was not over and to encourage him. I was amazed that he had such an " oh well' attitude. He even said he enjoyed watching some of the other drivers when they won. He was happy anyway and thankful for what he was doing driving a Top Fuel car. The coolest thing was that Alan, Tony and the whole team had such a good attitude even when it was hard.

Then he asked me if I would pray for the car. This was when The car would run low E.T. one run then smoke the tires the next. It happened during testing. He would tell me how strange it was because nothing would change yet it would act so differently. I could tell Alan was frustrated. He was very friendly but troubled.

When he asked to pray for the car, I told him that I do not think that would be right but the Bible does say we can ask for wisdom. It says " if any man lack wisdom let him ask God who will give it liberally". I have asked many times on many different issues and have had the Lord answer. He said great. I told him to ask Alan if he would like to pray. He did not hesitate. He said sure. So I stood between them next to the car with my hands on each of their shoulders and asked the Lord to show them what was wrong. ( I do not believe God has favorites but if one person asks for help and the other never asks , God is not showing favoritism to help the one who asked.)

Well they did figure it out within a couple of weeks. There was a big turn around. As the season moved along and he gained ground I told him that if he had a chance to win going into Pomona I would be there.

Well he was 45 points out so I went. There were so many things that happened that were beyond coincidence. Even the oil leak Saturday night. Kalitta ran good but Tony would have gotten the record right there. The fact that he did not and Doug went to # 1 made it so Doug would race Melainie in the semis instead of Bernstien. That race was amazing. Melanie had ( I think) her only holeshot win of the year against someone who is one of the best reaction drivers. For the final you had perfect air, Sun went down. I remember telling Tony and his Dad that the the day felt like we were living in a movie. It just felt strange. Even though it was a longshot , that it was going to happen.

I had the chance to be at the end of the track. Tony said he would be the last to know because he would know if he won but not if he set the record. I told him that if he saw guys with red Mac Tool shirts jumping up and down then he did not. If he saw guys with black Army shirt celebrating then he did.
He also said that if Doug won he wanted to be the first one to shake his hand and that if he did not win of all the drivers Doug was the one he wanted to win it. That was the only bad thing because someone had to lose. Doug Kalitta is a good driver with a great attitude.

If you remember the interview. Tony said " we have to thank the Lord for this one, this one came from above" In the winners circle I asked Alan if he remembered praying at Columbus and he said yes. I said this one came from the Lord and he shook his head yes.

I think that whole season would make a great movie.

Not that the Lord is on the Army team side but that season I think did have something supernatural to it. Alan and Tony would both agree.

Mike

Wonderful story, Mike. Very enlightening. That sure was a special last half of '06.

Late.................Mitch

Like him or not, the second half of the 06 season made one of the best stories in all of sports. It just doesn't get any better than that. What Shoe and AJ accomplished would be like Aramis Ramirez hitting his 74th home run in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded with 2 outs and a full count so the Cubs can win the series.

Sorry Cubs fans, not gonna happen!!!! :D:D:D:D

Doug raced weekly at Knoxville and held the record for most wins until Lasoski took it away.
Remember the Weikert (29) car? Man..Wolfie dominated in that car.

[/hijack x 2]
Partial Hi-jacker here - Wolfgang & Weikert from late 84 to 87 was unbeatable. 55 wins in 1985. Steve Kinser- what else needs to be said ? Same locally with Keith Kauffman at Port Royal & Fred Rahmer at Lincoln.

People love winners & people love to hate winners. I'm like that with Jimmie Johnson. I can't stand seeing him win. As a kid, I hated Bob Glidden. As an adult, I understood the greatness of his accomplishments being the lone Ford beating up on everyone. I eventually became a Bob Glidden fan. Dominance can be easily hated by fans (and the other teams), but it must be respected.

Alan Johnson is a winner. The whole Army team is.

Like him or not, the second half of the 06 season made one of the best stories in all of sports. It just doesn't get any better than that. What Shoe and AJ accomplished would be like Aramis Ramirez hitting his 74th home run in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded with 2 outs and a full count so the Cubs can win the series.

And after being down by 15 runs going into the ninth inning!

mike

Amazing that God cares about and helps Tony win , and does not listen to parents with children dieing of cancer. Tony is not disliked because he wins, he's disliked because he comes across as being the most arogant person in the history of the sport. Others that dominated, Big .... Snake .... Grump
worked on their cars between rounds, and did not stand around with hands on hips. I would like to see him lose in the dreaded countdown to Doug Herbert. But thats not likely , Doug is'nt using a traction control device.
That is one of the most asinine statements I've ever read Dennis. I just about deleted it..but I'll leave it to show your true colors..then I'll do my best to get you out of here.

Tony always..ALWAYS gives kudos to the people that got him there..AND the person he's racing. I can't believe what I'm reading. Like him or not..to say what you did is childish..ya know..like 1st grade playground.

I'll leave it for now..but look at your spelling as well..the composition..is that a reflection of the mind your stuck with?

Big, Snake, Grump were buttholes in their time buddy..but not as butthole as you just were.

Amazing that God cares about and helps Tony win , and does not listen to parents with children dieing of cancer. Tony is not disliked because he wins, he's disliked because he comes across as being the most arogant person in the history of the sport. Others that dominated, Big .... Snake .... Grump
worked on their cars between rounds, and did not stand around with hands on hips. I would like to see him lose in the dreaded countdown to Doug Herbert. But thats not likely , Doug is'nt using a traction control device.
Dennis, that is hands down the worst/nastiest/angry/bitter sounding post I’ve seen on this forum. The statements on who God cares about and Tony are arogent. I’ll suggest that you sleep on what you posted and consider modifying it. I’m no moderator but your statements are out of line. Blaze away, but since we all have our opinions there’s mine.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back