Tony Pedregons Comments on ESPN2 (1 Viewer)

5 Funny Car Drivers were interviewed ... only 1 plugged sponsors, crew chiefs and lamented the loss of a qualifying shot.

I edited my post to remove the content, because my emotions were raw and Cruz (a driver I like) most likely innocuously rubbed me the wrong way. Should have held my tongue.

Like my good man T Smith says ... best thing we can do is relax and allow the perspective of time to heal the wounds, even though it is tough to do.

Chris, please do not take my comment personally .... you, as is everyone, including Cruz ... is emotionally raw by this. We all hurt ... we all hurt ... a lot

Cruz was asked by Gary how he felt about the cancellation of the rest of the session which eliminated his chance to qualify for the field, causing his first DNQ of the year. Perhaps he chose his words poorly, but he was answering a direct question.
Exactly! Gerould asked the question and Cruz answered. Everybody needs to lighten up on CPed.

Exactly! Gerould asked the question and Cruz answered. Everybody needs to lighten up on CPed.

Wow ... I must have missed that part. If Gary G truly did ask Cruz that question ... then I was all wet on this one and I would like to publicly apologize to CPed. I thought the question asked of him was similar to that asked of the other drivers.

"Hollywood" I did not take your comments personally, other than to maybe try to see another perspective.

I was at E-Town Saturday with my bud who I was taking to the races (his first) and we were sitting at the 1000' mark during the last pro session.

I'm NOT one to blame or point or whine, so you will get absolutely none of that here. Any speculation is up to the rest of you, and there is absolutely NO shortage of that here.

Your mileage may vary, but as usual, I don't give a rats ass.

What I saw was horrifying and traumatic and I thought and felt as though I was going to be sick or ill in some way.

Scott was on a VERY good run. As he passed us I thought we were going to see a 4.80 something come up on the board.

I would estimate at about 1100' the car exploded, and I mean so violently that I was stunned at the ferocity, and that is comparing to the hundreds of races I have attended in the last 32 years. What is seen on TV or the net cannot convey the devastation.

The car disappeared from view and I looked to the screen and saw the view from the end camera behind the net.

I was at that moment..........I cannot describe what I felt........pure horror, Scott's car, basically chassis with the front part of the body shell still on, fire enveloping the drivers cockpit, the only word I can use......... is...... HURTLING towards......... CONCRETE!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

I have never seen a racecar go into sand anywhere that fast. Probably 200mph.

The car absolutely VAULTED the sand and the camera went dead.

We then saw what you could call a "mushroom cloud" rise from the end of the track.

I knew inside then and there it was non survivable. I had already had too much sun and felt my heart race and physically felt like I could not breathe for a moment or two.

I felt like I wanted to know but had the odd feeling that I knew. Just knew.

We waited for awhile and even went to the Kalitta pit to wait for some miracle or some sliver of hope.

The funny cars started coming back and going back to their pits and I saw not one smile or not even very much spoken between crew members.

I saw Toliver enter the DHL pit and go up to Conrad, turn around, and the look on his face was all it took.

People were on their cell phones and the ladies were holding each other and crying.

I always thought Scott was a great guy, and always been a fan of the whole Kalitta operation.

I'm not going over the top here when I say (and I know all too well, this is not about me, and the family and friends of Scott are suffering much, much worse) that that was my worst day at the races ever. I wish I had stayed home. I cannot get what I saw out of my head or off of my mind.

When I lay down at home last night I said a prayer for Scott and family and wept.

Time will pass, and the memory will surely become less painful, but for now my mind is not completely straight, and the pain is real.

God keep and hold you in his arms Scott, and God Bless and Comfort all his family and friends and crew and fans of this Great Sport.

RIP.

Rex

Rex, this is exactly how I remember the incident. I still don't know how I will tell my 7 year old son when I get home tomorrow.

Rex, this is exactly how I remember the incident. I still don't know how I will tell my 7 year old son when I get home tomorrow.

I agree-same as i saw it. It was just a thing--a very very bad thing. A 1000ft track-a 2 mile shut down-breakaway posts-self deploying chutes-shut off switches-i doubt any or all would have changed the outcome. :( The car was going to keep running full speed till it was out of fuel.

Um no...Considering the engine let go before the stripe...

I agree-same as i saw it. It was just a thing--a very very bad thing. A 1000ft track-a 2 mile shut down-breakaway posts-self deploying chutes-shut off switches-i doubt any or all would have changed the outcome. :( The car was going to keep running full speed till it was out of fuel.

Upon detonation I heard no further engine sound.

On the replay you can hear the engine running, albeit, not at full throttle, just prior to impact.

eerily like West's crash, though the differences in speed were enormous.

I'm surprised the crank was still in the car.

REX

I wonder where the engine was already past the point, though? At that speed, how many feet are traveled between the time the engine starts taking itself apart and when you actually see and hear it coming out of the car?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back