Tony Pedregons Comments on ESPN2 (2 Viewers)

It's situations like this that kinda make me wish for the days before the Internet! Everyone automatically goes into panic mode demanding wholesale changes to the sport! :rolleyes:

Compared to post-Gainesville last year ... I think the board has been positively civil and respectful.

I see that on google earth now,is it a private rd.? Lead to someones house? What's to stop them from building over it?

It is a residential road.

No way in hell or on Gods green earth is it gonna' be altered.

The residents of that community do not want that track there.

not all of them, but enough upper scale homes now that that tracks days are numbered

Rex

Compared to post-Gainesville last year ... I think the board has been positively civil and respectful.

I agree 100% Homie! The Key Board Crew Chief's have learned a lot in a year Chris! We all have! We will learn from this horrible accident, hopefully make the appropiate changes, and the sport will go on...

my god do something!!! no more 330!!!! i cant take the hurt i feel for these guys

Rick, don't you think a parachute might have saved Scott's life? I'm stunned at just how many people are ignoring that very fact! How much worse would Tony Pedregon's fire at Pomona be had his chute not come out?:rolleyes:

Yesterday I was at the Lucas Oil divisional race up in Seattle so I had no idea about what happened. I woke up this morning and was just getting ready to watch the qualifying show from yesterday when my wife came down and asked me if I had been online yet and wanted to know about a racer being killed yesterday. At that moment my heart just sank. Once I watched the video of his run, I can only speculate that the explosion rendered Scott unconscious because it looked like he wasn't attempting to brake the car or even try to steer it in any fashion. If this is the case, no lengthening of the shutdown area, or restrictions on e.t and speed would have prevented this from happening.

On another thread someone had suggested a hook & catch mechanism similar to what aircraft carriers use. I think having some kind of spring loaded cable tucked between a seam in the asphalt say maybe 100' before the sand could be something that should be looked into.

Yes, if there was an Advanced Autoparts near by me, I would not buy from them. That was an crappy thing to say at the time.

I normaly do not post to these types of comments, but felt like I must. Those that know me, would know that I would be the last person to come to Cruz's defense unless I felt very strongly about the situation.

Please do not judge Cruz (or anyone else right now for that matter) by the words he spoke so soon after the accident. Cruz is an emotional driver and it was very obvious he was overcome with emotion. Look at his eyes, those were not the eyes of a man with sponsors on his mind.

Were the words ill-phrased? Possibly. But they were in no way meant inappropriately. I doubt very seriously if Cruz even remembers what he said, he was just trying to say something ....

I normaly do not post to these types of comments, but felt like I must. Those that know me, would know that I would be the last person to come to Cruz's defense unless I felt very strongly about the situation.

Please do not judge Cruz (or anyone else right now for that matter) by the words he spoke so soon after the accident. Cruz is an emotional driver and it was very obvious he was overcome with emotion. Look at his eyes, those were not the eyes of a man with sponsors on his mind.

Were the words ill-phrased? Possibly. But they were in no way meant inappropriately. I doubt very seriously if Cruz even remembers what he said, he was just trying to say something ....

I agree......I can not remember my statements I made to friends after I found out my dad died. It is a terrible time to have an interview.

Well Said.......

Scotts chutes came out but they fluttered and did not 'hit' like they are designed too..

The parachutes are the one safety item that is not a mandated SFI inspection bi-annually. The rules call for protective sleeving from the mounting location tot he pack but aside from that you are on your own.

The NHRA does not require you to deploy it during tech to inspect.

IMO...nothing should change...a very sad situation and most pilots know of the dangers.

5 Funny Car Drivers were interviewed ... only 1 plugged sponsors, crew chiefs and lamented the loss of a qualifying shot.

I edited my post to remove the content, because my emotions were raw and Cruz (a driver I like) most likely innocuously rubbed me the wrong way. Should have held my tongue.

Like my good man T Smith says ... best thing we can do is relax and allow the perspective of time to heal the wounds, even though it is tough to do.

Looked to me like Cruz was hurting and serching for words. When you stick a mic in someones face after something like that happens you get what you get. I don't think he did anything wrong.

Cruz was asked by Gary how he felt about the cancellation of the rest of the session which eliminated his chance to qualify for the field, causing his first DNQ of the year. Perhaps he chose his words poorly, but he was answering a direct question.

But when i heard what happen i knew it would not be pretty. What upset me the most and made me very mad was this same exact thing occurred last year at a lucas oil divisional at etown. Thankfully the alcohol racer was ok, but the sand pit and net did not do its job and threw the driver in the woods at the far end of the property
i didn't want to write this and post this but its been on my mind since hearing the bad news yesterday.

there's nothing else that needs to be said about this than that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back