Tony Shoe's Comments (1 Viewer)

One year when I was at a IHRA race in up state NY. Maybe 15 years ago..

Scotty Cannon was in his PM this was when he was the king killer red tomatoe. He was messing with his car for no good reason other then to play mind game with the other driver..

He make a Killer Pass to the tune of like 4-5 hundreds low et of the meet... he comes back to the pits and takes hi car apart and services it again.. well Brett K. comes over and does and interview.. he says wow scotty where did your #1 come from. There was all kinds of things being said.. then BANG Scotty says right on the PA system.. "I didn't get the #1 spot" bret say yes you did.. Scotty says " No I didn't... I BYPASSED THE SCALES" HA HA HA he was laughing hard.

Bret was dumb founded and asked why he did it.. scotty said " we were just making a test Run "

Moral of story the rule is... pass scale DO NOT collect 200 dollars...

The stuff about cutting down the other drivers is a big no no.. he lost my respect.. if it were not for Alan J. he would not be were he is today.

I was in Pomona last year for his crowning.. and I still get chills when he won and put the record down. it was a true historic win. never to be repeated with the NONSENCE chase. even if it does repeat.. reseting the point to make 4 places MAYBE win is a joke. Ask ron CRAPS how he feels about the chase.

A winner is a winner and should be crowned like one. Not beign backed into it but a FEW lucky races at the end of the year.

BTW Congrads to Tony P. on the Crown.

Last edited:
Enough is enough about last year...that call was made and it was final, this call was made and it too was final. The reason that this has become such a big deal is because it exploded into much bigger things. Tony was called out on failing to stop at the scales...might I also mention that even though TONY is getting blamed for this...that TEAM is in their tow vehicle along with a crewmember in the dragster...we cant speculate what was said on their past the scales but I know that more then one person is at fault here, NHRA being one of them. Is NHRA going to address this much more...probably not because in their eyes they have done no wrong and obviously many of us will disagree with that, me being one of them. I am just shocked at the way things have gone down with the whole deal, the fact that the scales were missed, the ruling, the fights, all of it is a big mess that never should have happened.

Nor do you want to give up earned money due to stupidity, now do ya? Specially in the 6 figure range.

Zizzo ever skip a scale for a 100k race?
No scale skipping around here.

We've always have been under the impression that if you improve in qualifying or win the round, you must weight in and go through fuel check.

I could see being waved away from the scales by tech, but you shouldn't have to be waved into the scales.

I think the Army team just made a mistake and they should live up to it and move on. We'll have to bust Tony Shoe's ball about the whole situation, the next time he stops by the shop.

Especially when your driver you depend on for a meal ticket mucks up

Not defending Tony, but he doesn't drive the tow vehicle, so he didn't "muck up" anything.

30k? Seriously? That is is?

Yes, he's serious. He wasn't talking about key personnel. All of the big teams have support personnel that make very little in relation to the owner, driver and actual service crew. The round money, shoot out bonuses, end of year money, etc., goes a long way towards increasing that total though.

I wonder what the pay is at Fullers? Much more I bet.

HA HA HA HA HA, yeah right.

Not to derail the thread and turn the topic into crew pays, but while $30k isn't a lot of money, I'll bet almost all teams have people at that level, or less, who may be just starting out. Still, as has been mentioned, for a young guy who doesn't have a family and wants to break into the sport and work his way up, it could be a great deal. That same entry level position could quiclky evolve into 50-60k plus bonuses, and these guys are in an environment that they love. And obviously, a few will have the ability to get to the top and be in a six-figure position. Of course, it ain't for everyone, you have to eat, breathe and sleep this stuff. BTW, T, that was hilarious.

Everybody's true colors eventually shine through... it looks like Tony's just did.

Everybody knows if your qualifying time improves or you win a round you present for post run weight check. Don't go pulling this "where is it in the rulebook" stunt, it just makes you look bitter that your team messed up and can't admit it.

The only way that the Army team have a legit gripe is if they were waved through weight by the NHRA.

Everybody's true colors eventually shine through... it looks like Tony's just did.

Everybody knows if your qualifying time improves or you win a round you present for post run weight check. Don't go pulling this "where is it in the rulebook" stunt, it just makes you look bitter that your team messed up and can't admit it.

The only way that the Army team have a legit gripe is if they were waved through weight by the NHRA.

Well this is where there is a problem. Do you put this up to equal a qualifying pass considering that the first two were run as they were qualifying or do you not? Because the rule book only says if you improve on your time must you go to the scales..not if you win and if you put it up on qualifying, they didnt improve their time...I think that was their point with the rulebook and Im glad they mentioned it because dont you think if they would have just showed him the rule that would have shut him up and NHRA couldnt show him the rule because they dont even know which rules they are following and it came back to bite them in the ass.

Everyone says that they have lost their respect for Tony but i have to say I've lost alot of respect for NHRA as well...things were not handled correctly by everyone involved.

Last edited:
Well this is where there is a problem. Do you put this up to equal a qualifying pass considering that the first two were run as they were qualifying or do you not? Because the rule book only says if you improve on your time must you go to the scales..not if you win and if you put it up on qualifying, they didnt improve their time...I think that was their point with the rulebook and Im glad they mentioned it because dont you think if they would have just showed him the rule that would have shut him up and NHRA couldnt show him the rule because they dont even know which rules they are following and it came back to bite them in the ass.

Everyone says that they have lost their respect for Tony but i have to say I've lost alot of respect for NHRA as well...things were not handled correctly by everyone involved.

My thoughts are it was a round of the Shootout so they should have presented.

Mikaela,

If you think for one second that any of the guys wrenching on the car, the crew chief, the driver, or the owner was thinking about this run in terms of it being a qualifying pass.......I wish you'd share what you're taking.

As for the rule book arguement, that goes both ways. Tony or another member of the team could have marched up there with the book and asked for clarification.

Graham Light takes a lot of arrows in his behind and I supposed a couple of them are deserved, but to say that the man is not aware of the rules and that the guy doesn't know what set of rules he is operating under is just plain wacky.

It seemed out of character for Tony to do what he did in the tower with regard to the cameras and some of his statements.

Brian

While I agree he should have weighed in to avoid any confusion period...

Here's my honest thought (with Hot Rod, Melanie, Tony, or JR Todd who were all in the semi's). With that being a special race - not a points race - what does the rule book say about it? If any of you can think outside of Tony Schumacher for 2 seconds, and think about that, and answer the question, I think you will understand the 2-sides a little clearer. SINCE it wasn't any longer a qualifying pass (only the first 2 rounds of the Technicoat shootout are counted for qualifying), and it was a special race, then what does the book say? Remember - think outside of a specific driver (yeah, right... :rolleyes: )

All that said - I still think he should have weighed, but since he didn't, I don't think they should have put Melanie back in. Maybe they shouldn't have let him run either. Perhaps a rematch between the two would have been in best interest? Perhaps a single for Fuller. I don't know. But I do know if it had been Doug Kalitta that got booted you all would sing a different tune - regardless of what he said.

DLB

tonys comments were a real slap in the face to mel and her crew. the whole thing made tony look like the spoiled rich kid who didnt get his pony he wanted for his birthday. just because thier in danger of not winning the championship this year this is how they act- NO CLASS! hey tony - all the $$$ wont make you win every year. hes really not representing the race team and being the champ very well acting like that.

tonys comments were a real slap in the face to mel and her crew. the whole thing made tony look like the spoiled rich kid who didnt get his pony he wanted for his birthday. just because thier in danger of not winning the championship this year this is how they act- NO CLASS! hey tony - all the $$$ wont make you win every year. hes really not representing the race team and being the champ very well acting like that.

I'll bet the Army isn't too happy with him, either...You would think that they have a completely different image that they'd like to portray...

That being said, I know Don Shumacher, and in my experiences with him, he has always been very nice and friendly towards me...but he is human, too... Even the nicest people get pissed off when they feel that they were wronged...

Regardless of whether or not you like Shue, there were $$$ on the line, therefore it was a race. It is not the weighmaster's responsibility to "wave" you in or make sure you stop. Neither is it the responsibility of Rich, whoever that is, at the end of the track. It was the crew's responsibility. If the weighmaster decides to wave you on, then consider yourself fortunate. By no means does that give you a pass for the remainder of the event.

I just want to know who turned him in?

No one "turned him in." It's not about the messenger.

Before the run sheets are printed after each session the information from the scales and fuel check gets reported by each group working that area. No run is final until these two items are noted.

If you notice, sometimes a qualifying run will say DQ after their name on Drag Race Central. That can mean the driver crossed the centerline, flunked fuel check or came up short at the scales.

Forget about Tony and everybody else involved for a minute..
Is the NHRA that "bush league" to not be organized enough for something this stupid to happen?
We're talking about a "rule" that sounds very inconsistant, and rules should be 100% consistant from track to track.
Red light, green light?
Some tracks have them, some don't?
Sometimes you weigh, sometimes you don't?
What a total joke and Graham Light is a moron for not seeing this potential train wreck years ago...

I would think that they would weigh every car on every run, period.
It isn't brain surgery.

If I were Tony, I'd be pretty HOT myself. I'm not condoning him or DSR, pretty classless on camera, but this would be very frustrating for anybody.

Last edited:
Forget about Tony and everybody else involved for a minute..
Is the NHRA that "bush league" to not be organized enough for something this stupid to happen?
We're talking about a "rule" that sounds very inconsistant, and rules should be 100% consistant from track to track.
Red light, green light?
Some tracks have them, some don't?
Sometimes you weigh, sometimes you don't?
What a total joke and Graham Light is a moron for not seeing this potential train wreck years ago...

I would think that they would weigh every car on every run, period.
It isn't brain surgery.

If I were Tony, I'd be pretty HOT myself. I'm not condoning him or DSR, pretty classless on camera, but this would be very frustrating for anybody.

Couldnt agree with you more!

Wow, I opened a big can of worms here! :D

I was just pissed at what he said about Troxel's team...oh well...we digress.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back