Tony Shoe's Comments (1 Viewer)

Nick

Nitro Member
Tony's comments about him and Melanie Troxel's semi-final race in the shootout "not even a challenge" were WAY out of line. He said this after he was DQ's for skipping the scales and was a bit hopped up, but still.....

Melanie ran a 4.53 to his 4.50...HARDLY not a challenge. :mad:

After that comment, (which he basically repeted the next day on NHRA Raceday) I lost all respect for him. He needs to be grounded....needs a reality check.

am I crazy?

We face many situations in life, but must remember to> "Put Our Brains In Gear, Before We Put Our Actions And Mouth In Motion!!!

Tony's comments about him and Melanie Troxel's semi-final race in the shootout "not even a challenge" were WAY out of line. He said this after he was DQ's for skipping the scales and was a bit hopped up, but still.....

Melanie ran a 4.53 to his 4.50...HARDLY not a challenge. :mad:

After that comment, (which he basically repeted the next day on NHRA Raceday) I lost all respect for him. He needs to be grounded....needs a reality check.

am I crazy?

Not that it really matters but on NHRA Raceday they just used the video from the shootout Saturday.

Not that it really matters but on NHRA Raceday they just used the video from the shootout Saturday.

He also said some things on the broadcast the next day might have been what he meant. I really thought that after Saturday he would have apoligized to Melanie and team but once he said the things again on Sunday, I assumed he probably didnt. I cant disagree with alot of things he said...it sure made it look like NHRA was out to chose the winner...not let them race for it. You also have to remember that things like this probably go on alot behind the scenes and we dont see it so Im hoping that Tony will make it up to all of us, fans included, and get himself back on track...

He also said some things on the broadcast the next day might have been what he meant. I really thought that after Saturday he would have apoligized to Melanie and team but once he said the things again on Sunday, I assumed he probably didnt. I cant disagree with alot of things he said...it sure made it look like NHRA was out to chose the winner...not let them race for it. You also have to remember that things like this probably go on alot behind the scenes and we dont see it so Im hoping that Tony will make it up to all of us, fans included, and get himself back on track...

I'm not much of a Tony fan, however, that comment (which was repeated twice, not duplicated) just killed any hope for me to be one. I doubt he has any intentions of redemption. I truly feel that comment reflected how HUGE his head is getting! Let him drive for a low budget team (the backbone of the sport) and get his head on straight!

I couldn't beleve it when he said that Melanie's run wasn't even in the ball park on Sunday's show. I thought he was better than that. I know "The Don" gets on here from time to time, maybe these comments will get back to Tony.

Sorry guys, I must have missed what was said during eliminations Sunday. I thought he was referring to the Raceday show.

usually tony comes across to me as one of the best
spokespersons nhra drag racing has, not only for his sponsor, but
for nhra as well: example - i thought he outclassed the
skateboarder and indy car driver the nite he was on larry king live.

put yourself in their shoes the day this happened; wherever the fault lies,
and it seems both parties could have done better; i'd be fuming too.
they were pissed and they thought they had an argument;
using former episodes as examples (cory mac).

probably wishes he didn't talk about the other team though.

i think the rulebook will explain 'post race weighing'
a little better next year too.
i don't like or dislike that team anymore or less.

The feeling I get from "The Sarge":rolleyes: is that he thinks Drag Racing owes him something. When you get your NHRA license there is a reminder on the card that it's attached to. It basically says that competing in the NHRA is a privilege, not a right. I think "The Sarge":rolleyes: must have forgotten that part. I have a great amount of respect for Don Schumacher and what he has done in both Drag Racing and in business. As far as his son goes, I think he has a lot to learn about acting like an adult.

Sometimes people say things out of a context or because they are caught up in the moment. I think this is one of those times at least I hope so!
I'm sure everyone on here has had a moment like that the only difference is we don’t have cameras on us.
I'm not defending what was said just looking at it from another angle. :eek:

The part that took me by surprise was that he has guy's on his crew that only make 30K a year how in the hell can someone live off that?

That is almost below the poverty line I guess if you do it, it's for the love of the sport because it isn’t to make a living!
I think Tony wanted to give those guy's their bonuses you can’t fault him for that.
I'm not a big fan of Tony either just another take on what happened. :rolleyes:

>>>I really thought that after Saturday he would have apoligized to Melanie and team but once he said the things again on Sunday, I assumed he probably didnt<<<

I was surprised at that too. I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't do some serious damage control before the weekend. Criminy, Melanie gave him a great race.

BTW: Didn't Tony start with the Peak Brothers operation? That's a long time ago and a completely different world.

Sorta been a fan of the Shu family in the past, but not for any particular reasons.

The reason, I would be a fan, would because they are good, bring tons of quality sponsorship, exposure, and names to the sport.

Schu Sr was a midwest FC team since I was a kid, so I have seen them race many a time, and all the others from the midwest for years. Always follow the local guys. In person if you could, on tv when you couldn't.

The reason I wouldn't be a fan, if I wasn't before, would probably only be because of the introduction of so, so very many teams, haulers, expenses, that have driven the costs spiraling up. But, that isn't just him, they just have the most. And they are businessmen, so that wasn't a real reason. 2nd edge of the double sided sword.

After last weekend, nope, not a fan any longer.

We all know. Shu wins against Mel. .028 et.
Then, depending on who says what, Tony Shu was either not pulled over, or could not get the scale team to pull them over after jumping and waving.

Or, he ran the scales.

First off, Light did not ask, or I think want, the cameras in there. And, they should not have been. Shu asked for them. This should have been settled in tech. Now, lots of people bust on NHRA Tech, but this was embarrassing for the sport.

When the cameras turned on him he gets vindictive. People complain about drivers not getting exposure?
Here is #1 qualifier, 2 time champ, #4 driver in points who is there only because of the countdown, storming the tower and demanding to be teinstated for something he could have done, and has done hundreds of times. Driven over a scale.

Where was Doug's TV time sitting number 9 and only needing to stage now that Baze is parked to get to the number 8 spot (i think) Oops, not TV time, Shu got it.

Why, the very second Shu was given a microphone, did he start trashing the countdown? It has absolutely nothing to do with this pass. His only argument may be that he treated it like a Q pass, and blew off the scales since he didn't better himself. That doesn't add up to me. At least not to 100k.

He cant win it, so lets just trash it.

But, that, as he found out, isn't the case. It cost him, as a businessman, 94 large.

In the end, his mistake cost his 30k crewmen a 100k split, and he should do them right.

Him calling out Mel, and the team, if NHRA dq'd Shu did was pretty embarrassing for the sport. She was actually in the number 2 spot behind him .046. She was worthy of being there. For him to trash her, well, if were not his dads team, he would be gone, I bet.

I guess he, and his team owner can crash right in and make points (which, I think they lose) on TV. Should not have happened this way.

Tony's "I am quick, I win races, I, blah, blah, blah", covers up that he broke the sacrilegious rule of a winner in a drag race, especially where 100k is on the line. Scales? Nope, they didn't....
Oh, wait, we jumped up and down and they didn't see us, so we left. BS.

NHRA violations, and accusations should not be settled on TV, but rather with tech. Especially if he wants to toss drivers names out there with them able to defend themselves. With 100k on the line. Well, unless you want to make this wrestling.

And next time you screw up skipping the scales for a 100k, dig in your own pocket and pay em what you cost em. You earn enough lil shoe.

Last edited:
The part that took me by surprise was that he has guy's on his crew that only make 30K a year how in the hell can someone live off that?
Now don't you just wanna go quit your job and go work on some fuel car, so someone from the lucky sperm club can drive it?

Now don't you just wanna go quit your job and go work on some fuel car, so someone from the lucky sperm club can drive it?
Nor do you want to give up earned money due to stupidity, now do ya? Specially in the 6 figure range.

Zizzo ever skip a scale for a 100k race?

That is almost below the poverty line I guess if you do it, it's for the love of the sport because it isn’t to make a living!

Well, if you think about it...these guys are on the road for such a long time throughout the year. Heck, some of them probably don't even have a rent payment every month, drive clunker cars, and have all of their food while on the road paid for. That ain't too bad...

Still though, I agree that they are underpaid for the work that they do.

Well, if you think about it...these guys are on the road for such a long time throughout the year. Heck, some of them probably don't even have a rent payment every month, drive clunker cars, and have all of their food while on the road paid for. That ain't too bad...

Still though, I agree that they are underpaid for the work that they do.

Especially when your driver you depend on for a meal ticket mucks up,
Sort of shame when he blasts other teams. At least they can get jobs with teams that pay lesser than count down point teams if the lock in now.

30k? Seriously? That is is?
I wonder what the pay is at Fullers? Much more I bet.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back