This is wrong (1 Viewer)

C'mon folks, don't go generalizing about the Nascar thing. That's just not right and its unseemly to suggest that being a Nascar fan has anything to do with it.

The real question is whether or not the photo is legal to be sold since it obviously occurred at an NHRA event. If the photog didn't acquire the proper licensing I'm certain the the NHRA legal dept. will be "ask" that he and any others with similar offerings remove their auctions.

Bingo. This is one instance where you want to attack the person, not something they're associated with.

Imagine if it were the other way around. A NASCAR driver passes and an "imadragracingfan" on ebay is selling pics, and someone on a NASCAR board is saying "There ya go. Typical drag racing fan."

I think we all know that the value of artwork, etc, is going to go up after someone passes. I don't know how you determine at what point in time it's appropriate but, agreeing with the rest of you, this is WAY too darned soon. Didn't a judge once say, concerning what's indecent, "I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you when I see it!"?

I think what bothered me the most was, did he really have to go into such a description of Eric's injuries? I mean it's one thing for a press release or a fan forum, but an auction site? Oh well, all I can hope for is karma & he gets his in the end.

I'm having dialog with imanascarfan just because..and he wrote back saying he didn't care at all about the circumstances..so I'm proceeding to at least kick his ass verbally..hehe.

C'mon folks, don't go generalizing about the Nascar thing. That's just not right and its unseemly to suggest that being a Nascar fan has anything to do with it.

The real question is whether or not the photo is legal to be sold since it obviously occurred at an NHRA event. If the photog didn't acquire the proper licensing I'm certain the the NHRA legal dept. will be "ask" that he and any others with similar offerings remove their auctions.

Any chance of anyone with NHRA connections passing this info along & possibly getting NHRA to chat with the guy?

Here is what I sent him: (Sorry Mods)

You are a real piece of chit, you know that? You try cashing in on a tragedy. I hope you feel what its like, only nobody will bother bidding on a picture of your scumbag ass. Go kill yourself.

He replied, telling me to leave him alone and go back to 2nd grade and learn how to get a life.

I then sent him a link and challenged him to come here and defend himself.

ok maybe this is not something that I would do but, how many people make a living off of tragic events? Just because this is a different venue is it so wrong, someone else may end up with a picture of Eric because of this. What period of time must pass before its correct to do this ?Could you imagine if Ebay was around when Elvis died.

Guys and Gals....I know the actions of idiots like this piss us all off. We are caring individuals who know the difference between right and wrong. We have consciences. There are going to be some (and EBay certainly has its share) who are scumbags. Fighting with them just brings you down to their scummy level though, and the people who frequent this board aren't scum. Like it's been said before, if you're against it, don't bid on it. Even if you want to send him a message, you can still be civil and get your angry point across.

For cryin out loud, don't argue with this moron. Like the old cliche says, "what goes around, comes around". He'll eventually get his for being such a jerko*f.

Bob

Right... It's like TV. If you don't like the program, turn the channel. After Dale Earnhardt died in the racecar in Daytona, the same thing happened but on a much larger scale. The only way it's going to change is if we, as fans, boycott these sellers. If they don't sell, they can't profit. It's just ashame that people take advantage of a situation such as this. What makes it so bad is that people were interested to see what EBAY sellers were doing so soon after his death. See what I mean here? Maybe I'm just way off base.

And being a NASCAR fan doesn't make him all bad. I'm both. I worked on the BRUT showcar program in '05 and '06 and absolutely LOVE the NHRA deal and all the fans. I'm back on a NASCAR deal this year and there is a distinct difference in the fans. Worse than I remember. Maybe it's just the sheer volume.

Thanks for taking time to listen to me rant.

RIP Eric, you will be missed sincerely.

Victory!

The ad's been pulled! Maybe it wasn't a big thing, but maybe some of us were able to do a little something for Eric. What an opportunity! Here's a copy of what I sent the guy.

"I'm sure it doesn't seem to you to be too "soon" to be doing this and I'm not even going to try to argue that with you because I'm sure you don't care. I do take satisfaction in that fact that NHRA has been dilligent in the past when enforcing the use of their property, such as any images taken at their events for commercial use, which I believe they retain the rights to and which I believe is spelled out on the backs of tickets as a condition of entry. Plenty of people on the two major drag racing boards I'm on are forwarding this to them. I'm sure you won't see anything more than a warning from their legal department. I believe a judge once said, concerning indecency "I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you when I see it." This is way too soon, in the opinion of many. Ron Dunlap"

I did send Ebay a complaint about potential copyright violations from the sale last evening. I thought that NHRA retained the copyright if pictures taken at an event were to be used for commercial purposes. I thought this might at least buy some "review time" prior to the vulture trying it again.... Perhaps this tactic might work with other people doing the same thing? I don't now if my complaint resulted in pulling the item, but maybe it helped....

All that stuff is still on e-bay .I just went and looked. nothing has changed.
Iamanascarfan still has pics for sale on there ..? S.O.B... it would like me puting me blane johnson autograph alky dragster card...on there..

I did send Ebay a complaint about potential copyright violations from the sale last evening. I thought that NHRA retained the copyright if pictures taken at an event were to be used for commercial purposes. I thought this might at least buy some "review time" prior to the vulture trying it again.... Perhaps this tactic might work with other people doing the same thing? I don't now if my complaint resulted in pulling the item, but maybe it helped....

eBay will only pull an auction for copyright violation after a VeRO (Verified Rights Ownership) form has been completed and faxed to them by the copyright owner. This process does take a couple of days and can only be completed by the rights holder or their authorized agent.

In the past I've assisted in shutting down some sellers of unauthorized, reproduction track decals. If you are the copyright or trademark owner, the VeRO program does work.

It's all about the dollar bill. Some people don't know anything else, but sooner or later everyone learns this lesson. My father preached this to me as I was growing up and it took me a while to learn this, but I did. More than once, in the back of the Paramedic Unit I was riding in, I had patients say to me "Young man, I only wished I had focussed more on my health than on money."

Three Most Important Things In Life!
By W.B.F. Haymaker Jr.

Sooner Or Later, As You Travel Down The Road Of Life, Everyone Will Learn What The Three Most Important Things In Life Are. Unfortunately For Some, It May Take Them Til They Reach Their Death Bed To Learn Them.

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Your Health, Mentally, Physically And Spiritually. Nothing In The Universe Means More Than This.

The Second Most Important Thing In Life Is Your Family And Friends, And I am Not Talking About The Family And Friends That Are Sitting On Your Front Porch After You Win The Hundred Million Dollar Lottery. I am Talking About The Family And Friends That Are There For You When You Are Having Your Toughest Times.

And If You Find That You Have The First One And The Second One, You’ll Come To Find You Have The Third One, And That’s A Wonderful Thing Called “Happiness”!

God Bless,
Ever Bill

If someone here has the ability to make 8x10 photos of Eric.. and put them on E Bay right next to his and offer them for FREE I will pay you what ever expenses you incur..

My thoughts being if someone sees his photo for sale for $5 and one like it for FREE they will go after the free one .. thus effectually putting him out of business !!
Put it up for FREE and whoever wants it pays for postage only!

Just a thought.. I don't know if this is a good or bad idea.. I'm open to feedback.

Last edited:
I think what galls me the most about the listing is what he writes:

"I'M SELLING A ERIC MEDLEN 8X10 PHOTO PRINTED ON HIGH QUALITY PHOTO PAPER THAT I TOOK IN 2006 AT INFINEON RACEWAY IN SONOMA CALIFORNIA WHERE I GOT THE CHANCE TO HANG OUT WITH ERIC, HIS FATHER JOHN AND HIS UNCLE STEVE AFTER HE WON THE RACE. I'M OFFERING YOU A ONCE IN A LIFETIME CHANCE TO OWN A ONE OF A KIND PIECE OF NHRA DRAG RACING HISTORY OF THE LATE ERIC MEDLEN"

Talk about taking advantage of the situation...I'm just appalled!!

then he talks about copyrights: "THIS AUCTION IS COPYRIGHT PROPERTY OF IAMANASCARFAN ANY COPYING, STEALING OR TRYING TO IMATE THIS LISTING, TEXT OR PHOTO WILL RESULT IN LEGAL ACTION AGAINST YOU"

Can we take legal action against a MORON??

Last edited:
If someone here has the ability to make 8x10 photos of Eric.. and put them on E Bay right next to his and offer them for FREE I will pay you what ever expenses you incur..

My thoughts being if someone sees his photo for sale for $5 and one like it for FREE they will go after the free one .. thus effectually putting him out of business !!
Put it up for FREE and whoever wants it pays for postage only!

Just a thought.. I don't know if this is a good or bad idea.. I'm open to feedback.

If this were to happen, perhaps the 'free" photo could have a "donation" option via credit car or paypal that would go to Eric's family or favorite charity?

eBay will only pull an auction for copyright violation after a VeRO (Verified Rights Ownership) form has been completed and faxed to them by the copyright owner. This process does take a couple of days and can only be completed by the rights holder or their authorized agent.

In the past I've assisted in shutting down some sellers of unauthorized, reproduction track decals. If you are the copyright or trademark owner, the VeRO program does work.

Perhaps someone at NHRA might take the time to initiate a complaint pending investigation?

Can we take legal action against a MORON??

The individuals with the the best case of 'legal action' would be anyone who purchases the item and finds out that this guy has sold more than one copy of the same picture.

Don't forget, he advertises the item as "one of a kind".

Unfortunately, none of that helps the Medlen's or those who dislike this seller's business practices.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back