Thinking of Eric (1 Viewer)

My twin nephews (at the time around seven, I think) got to spend some real "quality" time with Eric at Topeka a few years back when their grandpa had them along while he was covering the race for Wichita Eagle. Hats and stuff for both boys and he took time to talk to them at their level not the typical "sign and walk away" treatment and the boys were life long fans.

It blows me away it`s been three years already. I remember being at the Johnny Carinos near the track when I was in Ennis with my friends Antone and Stacy the year before he died and the place so packed we ended up eating in the bar. Turns out Eric and some girl were a couple stools over from us and there was a really intoxicated Force fan at the other end of the bar who kept yelling at Eric about how they were going to do tomorrow (which was race day) and when was John going to start dominating again....blah blah blah and to his credit Eric answered all his questions as politely as could be. When we paid our bill and got up to leave, I said to him "good luck tomorrow" and he said thanks. I almost get to the door and Eric yells back at me "HEY!!!" I walked back over to him and he points at my shirt (I was wearing the Darrell Russell "May there be Nitro in Heaven" shirt that was just out) and says, "I like that shirt, he was a good guy. I`m going to miss him". I thought that was pretty cool of him, never thought too much about it afterwards but then the following March he too would be gone. Wished I would have engaged him a little more while sitting at the bar but we just wanted him to try and have a peaceful meal like anybody else!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back