T/F F/C.....Get rid of throttle stops. Lets see real burnouts. Better than P/S (1 Viewer)

If you were a new fan, you would not miss the dry hops or long burnouts. You would think the burnouts we have now are very cool. If they went back to dry hops, most of the people in the crowd would have no idea what is going on. Besides, if they went back to long burnouts and dry hops, there would be more tire smoke on the runs themselves because of how narrow the tuning window is. I don't want ANYTHING that leads to more aborted runs.

I am just glad we don't listen to Jim Head, who says burnouts are completely unnecessary on modern cars and wants to eliminate them completely.

If you were a new fan, you would not miss the dry hops or long burnouts. You would think the burnouts we have now are very cool. If they went back to dry hops, most of the people in the crowd would have no idea what is going on. Besides, if they went back to long burnouts and dry hops, there would be more tire smoke on the runs themselves because of how narrow the tuning window is. I don't want ANYTHING that leads to more aborted runs.

I am just glad we don't listen to Jim Head, who says burnouts are completely unnecessary on modern cars and wants to eliminate them completely.

LOL....well we did run 3.75 @ 329mph without burnout.:p:p:p

Many years ago I watched Melanie Troxel drive around the water box and set low ET, and a new track record without a burnout in the In-N-Out Burger Top Alcohol dragster. I can't remember if it was the A/Fuel car, or the B/AD..... but I'm pretty sure it was the nitro car. It was at that point I realized burnouts didn't make much difference in performance.

I've been to several Nostalgia FC/TF races and have yet to see a dry hop or a nice (1/8 mile) burnout. Or any really nice long burnouts.

May I suggest Keystone in Pennsylvania, Saturday July 14, 2018. 30+ nostalgia F/Cs ally some blown, some injected. The largest gathering of FC. I guarantee you'll see dry-hops. And long burnouts? I've seen Solid Rock Mustang turn on the win light getting it stopped.
PLAN a road trip.

Tony Donisi, here I last years ad:

THIS SATURDAY ....Do you like nostalgia funny cars, where you can tell what the make and model is? Do you like long, smoky burnouts? Come on out to the LARGEST funny car race on the east coast, the 10th annual Good Vibrations Motorsports Nostalgia Funny Car Nationals, Saturday, July 15 at Keystone Raceway Park! A 32 car field of nostalgia funny cars will be fighting to be crowned champion, and after the final, there will be a funny car burnout challenge, topped off by an amazing fireworks display! This is a must see event!

Steve Evans used to hype the dry hops over the PA system whenever he was announcing. He said the drivers were "communicating with each other" aka "I'm going to kick your @ss." The fans ate it up. To think no one today would know or understand what they are doing or why they are doing it would be underestimating the fans.

I thought of this regarding other forms of entertainment. What if the WWE decided too much time was spent on hype and macho-ness. Instead of flexing muscles, throwing their girlfriend on top of their shoulder and parading around and spitting on each other while yelling who's better than who, what if when the bell goes "ding" one guy picks up a chair and knocks the other guy out with it and they all go home. 3 seconds max. Hmmm. That's about right, isn't it?

Great analogy Randy! As much as I get why those rituals are gone, they really were an awesome way to build suspense before each run. Similar to the burner pops the jet car drivers do, it builds drama.

Steve Evans used to hype the dry hops over the PA system whenever he was announcing. He said the drivers were "communicating with each other" aka "I'm going to kick your @ss." The fans ate it up.

He was the best! He was also good at killing time when we (Infield fire) had an oil down to clean up. He worked the fans! Miss his style.

Tony Donisi, here I last years ad:

THIS SATURDAY ....Do you like nostalgia funny cars, where you can tell what the make and model is? Do you like long, smoky burnouts? Come on out to the LARGEST funny car race on the east coast, the 10th annual Good Vibrations Motorsports Nostalgia Funny Car Nationals, Saturday, July 15 at Keystone Raceway Park! A 32 car field of nostalgia funny cars will be fighting to be crowned champion, and after the final, there will be a funny car burnout challenge, topped off by an amazing fireworks display! This is a must see event!
I suppose I'll have to make a run to PA. None, around my area, do DHs or long burn outs.
I also miss them doing 2-3 burn outs, past the starting line

all of us that miss all those 'extras' can be glad we saw it.......IMO nhra had a 'sweet spot' that was around 1985 thru 1995.
just about when kenny rolled out the first aero tested bud king fc, and bradley decided 300" was better than 280", and amato
and tim thought a high wing mite just work.....and the cackle of 100%. i miss it all tremendously. all the cars didn't look the
same, each team had one car and driver (w/rare exception), and the stands were overflowing.....nhra winston drag racing in it's heyday.

I agree with Mike's post 100%. Having said that, I believe every sport that's been around for decades has it's "Glory Days" or Golden Era. Drag Racing's may have been exactly when Mike mentioned, but I still really get amped up about the "big show" facet of our sport. And like all other motorsports, or sports in general, there are many hurdles/challenges to overcome moving forward. But to me, we still have the most unique, violent,and badass cars of any sport, and I can't wait for winter to end, although I think it actually officially starts today or tomorrow.:(

For sure the tire compound as changed and they don't smoke even close to what they used to. The throttle stop wouldn't make any difference and I would have to say with the higher idle check pressures and stuff it would be next to impossible to do a repetitive burnout without one. The other reason you don't see real long burnouts anymore is because they idle and do the burnout with way more fuel volume than "the good old days." Just idling, the average TF or FC burns at least a gallon of nitro every 15 seconds and you can only really make the fuel tank so big with the current bodies.

Lots of good answers............Lets add something here................Put more of the driver back in the car. How many drivers out there now could actually do a burnout without a throttle stop or throwing the blower off the car?

I would bet that the current crop of fuel drivers could adapt to most changes, including no throttle stops on burnouts.

I never used a stop while driving alcohol funny cars or dragsters, never had an issue at all, actually a pretty easy deal. Now I have tried to go stopless in the nostalgia nitro funny car and its a completely different deal very hard to do and do it correctly. Super sensitive. I can't imagine doing one in a big show car without it.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back