Angie Smith (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
I think that Angie Smith had all of us worried when she couldn't stop her bike and crashed into the corn field. She did a supurb job of keeping the bike up and then laying it down and getting off at the last second. Sure am happy she is going to be OK. Hope she can make the race tomorrow.

Looking at the whole incident it amazed me that the so called "sand trap" was probably smaller than my back yard and I don't think it would even stop a Junior Dragster much less anything from the alcohol or PRO classes. Also, where were the safety nets, etc.. I thought all that safety equipment was required by NHRA. There was also a bunch of people and equipment right at the end of track fence on the left side that a car out of control could take out real easy and they would have a major disaster on their hands.

If a T/F, F/C or Pro Stock wasn't able to stop and went through the sand trap (if you can really call it that) they would probably go into the corn field and really come apart. I sure hope that doesn't happen but it sure looks like an accident just waiting to happen.

Looks like the so called 'NHRA SAFETY CREW' has again let the racers down and sacrificed their safety. I can guarantee you that I would not run my S/C car at that track after looking at the shut down area.

The sand trap at Lions in Long Beach in the 60's looked better than what they are using this weekend.:mad:and it wasn't great.

Last edited:
I think that Angie Smith had all of us worried when she couldn't stop her bike and crashed into the corn field. She did a supurb job of keeping the bike up and then laying it down and getting off at the last second. Sure am happy she is going to be OK. Hope she can make the race tomorrow.

Looking at the whole incident it amazed me that the so called "sand trap" was probably smaller than my back yard and I don't think it would even stop a Junior Dragster much less anything from the alcohol or PRO classes. Also, where were the safety nets, etc.. I thought all that safety equipment was required by NHRA. There was also a bunch of people and equipment right at the end of track fence on the left side that a car out of control could take out real easy and they would have a major disaster on their hands.

If a T/F, F/C or Pro Stock wasn't able to stop and went through the sand trap (if you can really call it that) they would probably go into the corn field and really come apart. I sure hope that doesn't happen but it sure looks like an accident just waiting to happen.

Looks like the so called 'NHRA SAFETY CREW' has again let the racers down and sacrificed their safety. I can guarantee you that I would not run my S/C car at that track after looking at the shut down area.

The sand trap at Lions in Long Beach in the 60's looked better than what they are using this weekend.:mad:and it wasn't great.

Norwalk is the shortest track out there!

Pomona 'IS' the shortest track on the circuit. I would much rather take my chances at Pomona. Once a T/F or F/C can't stop because of a parachute or other malfunction and the driver tries to stop with the breaks you will see them start bouncing. With this tracks shut off area I don't know whether one of those cars would make the corn field or not.....it would probably crash before it got there. I don't know of any other track that does not have catch nets. Even Vegas which is real long and uphill has them.

Do you think the outcome would have been much worse if they had the nets....? I do.

The sand trap, extra grass runoff looks like it would be sufficient to stop a heavier machine, but not a PSB because the surface area for friction is less, not as much machine to 'dig' in.

With a PSB, you wouldn't necessarily want it to bring the rider to a dead stop (throwing her OVER the bike, and potentially running her over).

Larger vehicle, the corn would give and work to slow the car down IF it made it passed the sand. Other than the containment burn, it looks like a decent set up as far as distance for shut down.

I may just go back to my retirement after this.

No way would i ride a motorcycle with a chute on it.
asking for trouble

Nitro Harleys use them, and we're not talking a huge chute, just something to add some drag and slow the bike in an emergency. I'll bet Angie would've loved to had a chute when she found out she had no brakes at 190+ mph...:cool:

Nitro Harleys use them, and we're not talking a huge chute, just something to add some drag and slow the bike in an emergency. I'll bet Angie would've loved to had a chute when she found out she had no brakes at 190+ mph...:cool:

I have NEVER seen a Motorcycle use a chute, not Korry Hogan running over 250 MPH on a Fuel bike!

At Bristol there was a nitro bike with a small chute on it. Can't recall who it was now.

The runoff through the field may be bumpy but likely better and less damaging then smacking a net. A couple of years ago a couple of alky FC went through the field, no where near the carnage of a net. If there's room let them roam a bit

Do you think the outcome would have been much worse if they had the nets....? I do.

Oh yeah agreed... we would be getting reports from the Hospitol if Angie would have ran into a net system.....

for the record.. Rockingham doesnt have a net or sand trap.... its got a cow pasture that is half mile across and up hill...:D

intereting on the link David Keech shared

Norwalk is the second shortest from start to sand (pomona shortest)

but then Norwalk is the second longest as far as runoff (firebird is longest)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back