Angie Smith (1 Viewer)

I have NEVER seen a Motorcycle use a chute, not Korry Hogan running over 250 MPH on a Fuel bike!

Korry Hogan:

215482_10150150869520028_4423255_n.jpg

I have NEVER seen a Motorcycle use a chute, not Korry Hogan running over 250 MPH on a Fuel bike!

Korrys bike does/did have a chute, and I'm sure his new one will have one also.
There are other Top fuel Import teams considering them,

I am actually glad in this instance that there was no net at the end of the track, it would have wadded both Angie and the bike.

She caught a huge break being at a track with no catch fence. I don't want to think of what a catch net would do to a rider at the speed she was travelling.

Several years ago, Karen Stoffer went off the end at Pomona. She did a perfect job of laying the bike down in the sand, and she slid under the net.

There was a video of it at the time.

Have to say, Angie did a remarkable job riding it as far as she could and laying it down as easy as she could.

Several years ago, Karen Stoffer went off the end at Pomona. She did a perfect job of laying the bike down in the sand, and she slid under the net.

There was a video of it at the time.

Have to say, Angie did a remarkable job riding it as far as she could and laying it down as easy as she could.

Connie Cohen at Englishtown 2007.

OMG! Angie Smith's brakes failed and she went off end of track! She's ok, no injuries. But, just in case, we should increase runoff area at all tracks, shorten PSB runs to 1/8th mile, put parachutes on all PSB and only let PSB compete at 6 national events. Furthermore, all riders will be wrapped in bubble packing and be required to test their brakes right after the 60 foot mark of every run. All, of course, just to be safer. :rolleyes:

On a serious note. Angie, as expected, handled the situation like a pro and I'm glad she's ok. :)

OMG! Angie Smith's brakes failed and she went off end of track! She's ok, no injuries. But, just in case, we should increase runoff area at all tracks, shorten PSB runs to 1/8th mile, put parachutes on all PSB and only let PSB compete at 6 national events. Furthermore, all riders will be wrapped in bubble packing and be required to test their brakes right after the 60 foot mark of every run. All, of course, just to be safer. :rolleyes:

On a serious note. Angie, as expected, handled the situation like a pro and I'm glad she's ok. :)

I don't think requiring chutes on an almost 200mph bike is uncalled for..bubble wrap is a little over the top though :rolleyes:

Remember when crewchiefs used to wiggle the calipers before a run to push the pads back from the rotors?

At an IHRA event this year one of the nitro bike racers told us the chute was used more to stabilize the bike in the shut down than slow it down.

Elmer Trett never used a chute that I know of.
Jay Upton has one.
And no, Larry dont have one, yet.

Elmer was a hold out. He said stopping the bike at that time was not the problem. Stopping the rider was. He could get on the brakes so hard that he would start sliding forward on the bike. He said he could let off the brakes a second and push himself back in the seat.

He used to work out with weights to keep his arms strong enough to keep him on the bike when it was stopping. He used to also hook his feet behind the pegs in the lights to help hold him on. I still think that worked against him at Indy when he started coming off.

He said a chute would be a commitment. Once it was out there it was out.

That is why when Sam Wills first started experimenting with a chute on a TF bike, they started with very small ones and worked their way up in size.

The reason they cannot put a catch net or improve safety system at finish line is because Airport property, which this is, will not allow it.

Last edited:
The reason they cannot put a catch net or improve safety system at finish line is because Airport property, which this is, will not allow it.
really nothing wrong with what they have. Seems like a couple of cars ran off in the corn patch a few years ago and damage was minimal compared to hitting a net. I rode a Honda into a corn field once not much fun but really didn't hurt me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back