T/F F/C.....Get rid of throttle stops. Lets see real burnouts. Better than P/S (1 Viewer)

Porkchop

Nitro Member
Its an embarrassment when a P/S car does a better burnout than a T/F dragster or Nitro F/C. Put the driver back in the car........Lose the throttle stops on burnouts.

They could still burn 'em to the finish line with the throttle stops on.

While I agree that the long burnouts are cool for the fans, they do absolutely nothing to improve the run in any of the classes.

It would be cool though if they had an award for each class on Saturday for the best burnouts. Cars & Bikes that qualify well on Friday could earn a reputation as the "King/Queen of Burnouts".

I've been to several Nostalgia FC/TF races and have yet to see a dry hop or a nice (1/8 mile) burnout. Or any really nice long burnouts.

Its an embarrassment when a P/S car does a better burnout than a T/F dragster or Nitro F/C. Put the driver back in the car........Lose the throttle stops on burnouts.

Nah...not really.

Also, know one is taking off their throttle stops anytime soon, it creates to much inconsistency with the clutch and tire temps, unnecessary abuse on rotating parts would be a factor as well, but let's say we did take them off, my instructions would be the same before the car is started..."short burnout".

Dry-hops are a thing of the past in most forms of drag racing. I couldn't imagine doing one taking in consideration of how much clutch we wear on a actual run just to the Christmas tree.

I miss the long burnouts and dry hops too, but it’s getting old listening to folks asking to bring them back. They went away as part of the evolution of drag racing, which first and foremost has been about going quicker and faster. So, they’re not coming back. Just like you won’t be seeing a stock appearing body on a Funny Car that’s going 290 to the 1/8, or 4 speeds in Pro Stock that require you to push the clutch in for gear changes.

A lot is repeatedly said about going back to doing things like in "the good old days" and at the same time people are crying that NHRA doesn't allow innovation anymore. Innovation is what has gotten us to where we are now and there's no going back. You can't have both innovation and things being like they were in the "good old days". Unfortunately long smokey burnouts and dry hops do nothing to help the performance or consistency of the cars, which is why nobody is doing them.

Nah...not really.

Also, know one is taking off their throttle stops anytime soon, it creates to much inconsistency with the clutch and tire temps, unnecessary abuse on rotating parts would be a factor as well, but let's say we did take them off, my instructions would be the same before the car is started..."short burnout".

Dry-hops are a thing of the past in most forms of drag racing. I couldn't imagine doing one taking in consideration of how much clutch we wear on a actual run just to the Christmas tree.
All very true but unfortunately that is part of what is causing the lack of interest in the sport. Pro drag racing use to be as much about showmanship as racing. Now it’s all business and not as entertaining.

Apparently the modern tire compounds don't produce as much smoke as the old ones. Goodyear has apparently put a great deal of effort into not having the tires smoke. Some big time nitro guy said that, I just can't remember who. I saw it on facebook.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back