Stupid late night idea.... (1 Viewer)

While it didn't happen with the IHRA, I don't doubt that a top-tier A/FD, given clutch management, a higher % of nitro, and not much else, could go into the 4's. Remember, anytime you change the tune-up, with any nitro car, it's never as easy as one would think. But I think if Reichert or Shields or several others had free reign, the 4's would definitely happen. Now, having A/FDs compete with the blower cars is a whole different topic.

At least the debates would be the other way around for a change. The non blown cars running slower than the blown ones!

Why not let unblown nitro cars run with blown nitro cars instead of with blown alcohol cars? Like has been suggested, ease up on their rules and turn them loose. I think that would be awesome.

I love the smell of Nitro in the Morning....
I love the smell of Nitro After Dark....
After Crew Dogging on an Alky Flopper 20 years ago,
I also love the smell of Alky....

But I also believe in my Black Little Heart...
only a little splash of alky should EVERY be mixed with Nitro...

but a couple of splashes of nitro in your alky is fine...

And Rats on Pop sound much different from elephants...
Crisp!!!

d'kid

Hi Ron....

Know anyone that's willing to Run A Rat on pure Pop?

d'kid
feeling EVIL in No folk virginny tonight

deadhorse.gif

William Payne wrote;

"there is a reason the cars running nitro have stolen the show all these decades and thats because of NITROMETHANE.

No; the reason they have stolen the show is they have been engineered to run quicker and faster than any of the other cars. Mid 4's at 335mph.

If a twin-turbocharged 1800-pound alky-fired 750cid car could go just as fast, do you think that the SOUND it doesn't make could make up for all the things that have consipred to raise the cost of Top Fuel racing to the point of bankrupting all but the most well-financed teams?

To wit:

Blower explosions that are so powerful that they can disable a driver, cripple the chutes, and destroy the brakes, and ultimately, the car.

Cause overt and expensive engine damage that must be dealt with in 45 minutes

Destroy drivetrain components such as ring and pinion sets ans clutch components

Cause runs to be aborted because of ignition failures, and the resultant trajectory changes that a cylinder out can cause

Rebuilding of engines after every run due to stress-related component damage

Excessive personnel costs due to the many people it takes to adhere to a 45-minute turnaround with a Fuel motor... lots of parts get hurt

Dealing with a virtual cartel (monopoly) that can charge whatever they feel the market will bear for Pop.... unlike alky, which is CHEAP, by comparison

Dirty aerodynamic package (blower + injector hat) compared with a lower, sleeker twin turbo/injector setup (less frontal area)

But, in the final analysis, even IF this hypothetical alky/turbo mountain motor car could run, say, 4.70s at 310mph, would be MUCH cheaper to run, and WAY more reliable and not hurt nearly as many parts, you still think that a Nitro car is WORTH IT, because it's LOUD.

Nobody loves the sound of a Fuel motor more than I do. There's nothing on earth like it...

But, it's breaking my sport. It's time for a change.

Last edited:
IHRA tried that 4-5 years back, Dave Hirata supposedly built a 500 CI Combo while tipping the Can. But as far as I know nobody's been able to build an A/Fuel car that can run TF numbers!

I don't expect them to win rounds and be competetive unless the Top Fuel car smokes the tires or loses a belt. I would rather see 5 a/fuel cars in the field in Phoenix than an 11 car nitro field. On Mitch Myers 5.11 run in 2004 he ran 4.306 to 1000'. Not competetive with today's numbers but could get lucky in a round or two. I don't recall what first round losers get but it is probably more than an a/fuel car gets for winning an event.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back