Dump the superchargers (1 Viewer)

Billy

Nitro Member
What if we dump the superchargers and make the top classes A/Fuel Dragster and A/Fuel Funny Car and then we can run 100% nitro again? And the A/FD fields will be full because you'll get an influx from T/AD, that way T/AD could be just supercharged dragsters?

Just a thought to slow them down. I think with the ways IHRA wrote their A/Fuel rules, the experts thought 4.90s close to 300 mph was possible.

Just a possibility. I think the idea of switching distances for different categories will be difficult to understand for the beginner spectator.

Of course, I don't know what that would do to the blower manufacturers. If only the alcohol cars and Pro Mods are running blowers, how much will that affect their business?

Anyway, just a thought that would keep the crackle in the pipe for 1320 feet.

Last edited:
What if we dump the superchargers and make the top classes A/Fuel Dragster and A/Fuel Funny Car and then we can run 100% nitro again? And the A/FD fields will be full because you'll get an influx from T/AD, that way T/AD could be just supercharged dragsters?

Just a thought to slow them down. I think with the ways IHRA wrote their A/Fuel rules, the experts thought 4.90s close to 300 mph was possible.

Just a possibility. I think the idea of switching distances for different categories will be difficult to understand for the beginner spectator.

Of course, I don't know what that would do to the blower manufacturers. If only the alcohol cars and Pro Mods are running blowers, how much will that affect their business?

Anyway, just a thought that would keep the crackle in the pipe for 1320 feet.

Great idea Billy, but unfortunately spectators would be more prone to watching the alcohol cars because people pay to see blown motors.

I think the issue does not need to be resolved by 1000' racetracks, but an full out assault on restricting the cars. I don't know if there was a consordium at Norwalk, but I believe the teams must have gotten together and agreed to slow the cars down themselves. 4.82 @ 295 was an absolute shocker, but it just shows you can run ET on the bottom end and slow them down on the top.
NHRA should restrict fuel pump volume, so much so they should hand them out at the race! Similar to the pop-off valves on Indy Cars. Blower overdrive should be restricted (i.e., pulley size) and the wing surface should decrease, or they will anyway with said changes. I love drag racing and don't want to see anyone else get hurt, much less killed due to insufficient safety measures. 4.90-5.00 290-300 FC's and 4.70-80 @ 290-300 TF's are just fine with me.
On the flipside what happens is simple, you are more likely to increase interest in the show because you have now tightened up the fields and side by side races will become commonplace.

I would much rather watch the current cars go 300 mph at 1000 foot over "Pussified":p cars going 300 mph at 1320' any day!

Another thought; if or when they slow the TF and FC's down they may need to do the same to A/FD and BB/FC. It would seem quite odd to have those classes running within a couple of tenths of eachother.

Yeah, and give the nitro to the Pro Mods. They put on a better show anyways and still resemble a factory car.;)

Another thought; if or when they slow the TF and FC's down they may need to do the same to A/FD and BB/FC. It would seem quite odd to have those classes running within a couple of tenths of eachother.

1126219512970.gif

Randy, could you explain?

If I was in charge, TA/FC (BB/FC) would have the PSI "C" series GIZMO supercharger at 125% over and I would reduce the car weight back to 2,200 pounds instead of the tanks we have to run now.

5.20's and 5-teens at 280 mph would be likely in TA/FC without the nitro explosions.

Just like the TF and FC racers, we're feeling the pinch of all that weight they added to our cars, too. With John Lombardo, Jr, driving my car I have to carry 3 full size weight bars filled to the brim with lead shot. Plus, I removed our aluminum rear motor plate and added a steel moly one just to get the weight up. How safe is all that especially when trying to stop?

Walt Austin once said back when our overdrive was reduced from 125% to 92% that if NHRA keeps detuning the alky cars, pro mod will be quicker than we are. Then the TA/FC's would be worthless. But wait, pro mods are also heavily restricted. I wonder how fast these cars could really go.

RG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back