Doug Gordon Stomps Wild Horse & Shawn is the Man (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Dug Gordon ran 5.39 - 270 in Q2 TA/FC. Both ends of the track record for Wild Horse. Only 5 F/C.
T/AD Shawn Cowie is #1 (so far) at 5.20 - 279. Madison Payne #2 at 5.21 A/FD. In Q2 these two drivers raced and that was the 5.20 by Cowie. Madison "only" ran a 5.27 on that pass. There are at least 12 cars in T/AD, so we will actually have a bump spot. Bob Button puked something on the engine at about 1000'. Big cloud of smoke looked like it was out of the injector. Still ran a 5.59 - this is the car with EFI on the engine.

Special mention to Hunter Green from Tucson, ran career best 5.57, TA/FC. He is now racing for Randy Meyer. Keep an eye on this guy.

Joey Severence is #3 at 5.25, is running 8.8 60' times in T/AD.

Bo Butner in T/D and wife Randy Lynn in S/C.

Bruno Massel in Comp, CC/AT, 7.00 - 199. Has a Cobalt with a twin turbo Toyota 2JZ DOHC straight 6. Was strange to see him in person after watching all those shows he does on Motor Trend TV.

Anyhoo, lots of really good racers from several divisions & Canada. Weather was really nice today, but expect winds Sat afternoon, with strong possibility of rain Sat nite. May not affect Sunday, just depends.

Bruno Massel in Comp, CC/AT, 7.00 - 199. Has a Cobalt with a twin turbo Toyota 2JZ DOHC straight 6. Was strange to see him in person after watching all those shows he does on Motor Trend TV.
I talked to Bruno for a couple of minutes at the 2019 Gators.
I told him I agree with Joe Zolper from Garage Squad in wanting to see more Mopars on the show.
He laughed and said there are too many as it is.
As he was pulling away on his golf cart, he thanked me for watching the show.

Oops. Well, at least Hunter ran his personal best ET. Fooey, I thought it was the other Hunter. Thanks Greg.

Oops. Well, at least Hunter ran his personal best ET. Fooey, I thought it was the other Hunter. Thanks Greg.
Come on Cliffy, you dont know Tucson's own Hunter Jones?!?! lol jk.

Anyway that was an awesome run by those guys, I do not believe they have ran the car since the divisional race last year so to run a career best today, not to mention a great run on the test hit last night is awesome. I hope they make it to Sunday.

Sunday morning - it's raining. What, the weather person was right? Supposed to clear up later today & they can finish the race. They ran 2 rounds of alky & will run final rounds today. Also ran a couple of rounds in the other classes as well. Highlite of the day was the Slow Roller Plymouth Horizon, 4 banger Stock car actually won Rd 1. 17 seconds....

Sunday morning - it's raining. What, the weather person was right? Supposed to clear up later today & they can finish the race. They ran 2 rounds of alky & will run final rounds today. Also ran a couple of rounds in the other classes as well. Highlite of the day was the Slow Roller Plymouth Horizon, 4 banger Stock car actually won Rd 1. 17 seconds....
Ol' Wild Bill O'Connor is always fun to watch because that is the kind of stocker I could afford, someday. Not too many EF/S's around. I remember when he went to the semis here several years ago and the crowd was going wild when he would hold off whoever he was racing.

Finals! Shawn Cowie wins T/AD 5.244 - 280.43. Joey Severance broke 11,817 - 58.35. Ray Martin wins TA/FC 5.552 - 259.31. Doug Gordon smokes the hides 6.11 - 139.13. Thought that was an upset, but congrats to Ray Martin team.

I talked to Bill O'Connor about his car a couple of years ago. That Omni has a ton of work and thought in it. In many respects, that car is more sophisticated than an upper class stocker.

I spaced this, but S/C was won by Toby Payne, son of Jay & Shelly Payne. He also beat his sis, Maddy, who was driving S/C and T/AD.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back