Stupid late night idea.... (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
You know how the IHRA lets A-fuel dragsters compete in top fuel?

Well if there are going to be only fields of 9 or 10 TF cars, why not let the A-fuelers in the class and give them a head start of like 3 or 4 tenths?

I'm not saying this would be the best idea or how it would even work. Just throwing this out there.

I'm not saying this would be the best idea or how it would even work. Just throwing this out there.

And I'll throw it right back atcha. The idea sucks. Pure and simple. Bracket racing on nitro??????

Puhleese:rolleyes:

You got my reaction. You don't like the reaction? Don't throw it out there........

And I'll throw it right back atcha. The idea sucks. Pure and simple. Bracket racing on nitro??????

You got my reaction. You don't like the reaction? Don't throw it out there........

Probably because of all the red-lights that this type of setup might produce.

And sheesh, lighten up. Don't need to be so harsh.

Remember the All-Star race? T/F cars would red-light when the Funny cars left early.
I gotta agree with David on this matter..........

you know how the ihra lets a-fuel dragsters compete in top fuel?

Well if there are going to be only fields of 9 or 10 tf cars, why not let the a-fuelers in the class and give them a head start of like 3 or 4 tenths?

puff, puff, pass....

I would say let the A/Fuelers run with 100% nitro but no head start. They would be at a big disadvantage but it would be better to watch 3 or 4 a/fuelers that a short field of Top Fuel. The qualifying money alone would make it worth while for an a/fuel car to run.

I would say let the A/Fuelers run with 100% nitro but no head start. They would be at a big disadvantage but it would be better to watch 3 or 4 a/fuelers that a short field of Top Fuel. The qualifying money alone would make it worth while for an a/fuel car to run.

Apparently Don Prudhomme is all for it. He thinks that as long as the NHRA don't tell us we will never notice!!

Give the poor boy a break David, he knew it was a stupid idea to start with. Keep too many stupid ideas in your head and you don't have room for good ones. ;)

Heck, let em all dial in, and just run it like any other Bracket Race.... let the floppers in on it too......

NOT!!!!!

d'kid

hey,
if your car runs on nitromethane and you want to try and qualify for the
top fuel show, then be my guest.

another guy made a good argument on other thread......
reasons to keep nitro vs. reasons to switch to different fuel;
he reasoned another fuel for pro racing was worth exploring.

unless nitro cost & availability become unrealistically out of reach,
i say keep nitro at all cost.
NHRA pro fields have basically been stagnant for 15+ years, TF & FC
wavering back & forth for who have most cars touring, and now bleak
news on the horizon for '09.
what about all the guys running nitro in A/F?
if you took a poll and asked 100 fans if they'd rather watch 16 PSB's
or 16 A/F's (on 100%!), whether they ran in own class or mixed in with pros;
i know i'd vote for the nitro cars.

what i'm sayin' is.......lot's of people playin' with nitro that aren't today's
definition of 'pro' - today's definition of 'pro' losing players daily.
are the cars the stars?
are the drivers the stars? (i've argued this in past)
is the fuel the star? (never thought about it that much, but it's got it's place)

so what if first round losers are losing by a second; at least you're watching
16 cars.........and when the A/F beats the T/F! how cool for the fans.

Give the poor boy a break David, he knew it was a stupid idea to start with. Keep too many stupid ideas in your head and you don't have room for good ones. ;)

LOL!!! Well, Jenn, that 'splains a few things with me and MY ideas!!!!!

By the way Sam, nothing personal. Just giving you grief. It's been a long wierd off season so far....

I am 100% ok with A/Fuel cars running with top fuel. As a matter of fact, give them fuel and clutch management too-all the fun toys. A full field is a full field.

The head start deal is "A Stupid late night idea."

IHRA tried that 4-5 years back, Dave Hirata supposedly built a 500 CI Combo while tipping the Can. But as far as I know nobody's been able to build an A/Fuel car that can run TF numbers!

While it didn't happen with the IHRA, I don't doubt that a top-tier A/FD, given clutch management, a higher % of nitro, and not much else, could go into the 4's. Remember, anytime you change the tune-up, with any nitro car, it's never as easy as one would think. But I think if Reichert or Shields or several others had free reign, the 4's would definitely happen. Now, having A/FDs compete with the blower cars is a whole different topic.

Someone mentioned finding a replacement for nitro , what a silly idea that would be there is a reason the cars running nitro have stolen the show all these decades and thats because of NITROMETHANE!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back