Sponsor exposure and the Kalitta Boycott (2 Viewers)

Hey now, if we're going to talk football..... seeing as how this IS a Kalitta thread.... how 'bout those Detroit Lions!!! (((( and the room grows silent )))) Yes, I am one of the few, the proud. And I don't mean the Marines. I mean a true Lions fan. Born & raised on the blue & grey, baby! I'm talkin this goes back to the pre-Silverdome days when they played at Tiger Stadium. Don't bother with the "FIRE MARINELLI" posts, and the "KITNA SUX" jabs... because me & a hell of alot of other people absolutley agree with you! It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it! Let's go Lions! ps., I'm anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving Day. Detroit always seems to manage to embarass the hell out of themselves on national TV like clock work each year. In my family, it's just expected... just as reliable as Grandma's lumpy gravy and Aunt Helen's dried-out turkey... we just know the Lions are going to lose.

Last edited:
True in stick and ball, but there's no revenue sharing or paying TV contract in drag racing. Everybody pays to play, despite some appearances a lot of the sponsorships out there aren't full support.

S/F
D

Which is why the countdown is not a great idea. The lack of coverage on Doug Kalitta after winning the race was poor judgement on whoever was doing coverage. The sponsors deserve coverage of winning car and driver, they helped pay for the win, regardless of the car being in the top 8. I want to see Kalitta cars at Vegas, but would also like to see the effect of a protest. Perhaps they can do both.

Welcome to my world Jim. Now maybe you have an appreciation for what guys like me, Scott Palmer, Alan Hartley and many others have been going through for years on end. All of us can't get exposure if we set the national record and win the race. They still interview the others and ask them how they feel about losing. I brought some sponsors to the table over the years and the powers that be not only didn't step up the coverage, they met with them and tried to convince them to spend their money on sponsoring an event as opposed to sponsoring our team. Try that one on for size and see how you like it. The best one was when I took an immense, public company, long term deal to the table and they told the sponsor they should go with a team of their choosing. I could go on for hours but for what? No top team ever came to my defense in this matter and now I am supposed to feel badly that a top team gets a dose of the poison? I don't think so. It may not be right but don't look for sympathy here.

Bill Ancona

Which is why the countdown is not a great idea. The lack of coverage on Doug Kalitta after winning the race was poor judgement on whoever was doing coverage. The sponsors deserve coverage of winning car and driver, they helped pay for the win, regardless of the car being in the top 8. I want to see Kalitta cars at Vegas, but would also like to see the effect of a protest. Perhaps they can do both.

I agree, I'm just starting to tire of those who drank the KoolAid singing the countdowns praises and telling the rest of us to just suck it up and shut up.

D

Welcome to my world Jim. Now maybe you have an appreciation for what guys like me, Scott Palmer, Alan Hartley and many others have been going through for years on end. All of us can't get exposure if we set the national record and win the race. They still interview the others and ask them how they feel about losing. I brought some sponsors to the table over the years and the powers that be not only didn't step up the coverage, they met with them and tried to convince them to spend their money on sponsoring an event as opposed to sponsoring our team. Try that one on for size and see how you like it. The best one was when I took an immense, public company, long term deal to the table and they told the sponsor they should go with a team of their choosing. I could go on for hours but for what? No top team ever came to my defense in this matter and now I am supposed to feel badly that a top team gets a dose of the poison? I don't think so. It may not be right but don't look for sympathy here.

Bill Ancona

very interesting....a little peek inside Maggies Farm.

Last edited:
I agree, I'm just starting to tire of those who drank the KoolAid singing the countdowns praises and telling the rest of us to just suck it up and shut up.

D

Never told you to "suck it up and shut up".

Wail away.........just be prepared to debate.

BTW.........I don't like KoolAid.

How come people like me that like the different format are KoolAide drinkers? No entity has told or made me like it....I just do.:eek:

how is that hard to fathom?

I tend to think the KoolAide chuggers are the 80% on the internet message boards that all agree to agree with each other. Only 3 or 4 of us are going against your (collective) grain.

I'm not or ever been swayed by opinion.

If your side stopped inferring that our side was brain dead KoolAid drinking idiots maybe actual debate could be started.

Until then...........Knock yerself out..............:)

REX

D

No KoolAid here, just Bacardi and Diet Coke. Sorry, but I like to have some facts to support an opinion and to discard the Countdown before the first season is done is foolish because you have no facts to support your view. I, and others, have made the decision to wait an see how the Countdown works out before passing judgment. I think change is a good thing and the old structure was in place for 20+ years, so it was time for a change and create some more excitement for the sport.

.....No top team ever came to my defense in this matter and now I am supposed to feel badly that a top team gets a dose of the poison? I don't think so. It may not be right but don't look for sympathy here.
Bill Ancona

thanks for you .02 bill. very interesting.

Hey now, if we're going to talk football..... seeing as how this IS a Kalitta thread.... how 'bout those Detroit Lions!!! (((( and the room grows silent )))) Yes, I am one of the few, the proud. And I don't mean the Marines. I mean a true Lions fan. Born & raised on the blue & grey, baby! I'm talkin this goes back to the pre-Silverdome days when they played at Tiger Stadium. Don't bother with the "FIRE MARINELLI" posts, and the "KITNA SUX" jabs... because me & a hell of alot of other people absolutley agree with you! It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it! Let's go Lions! ps., I'm anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving Day. Detroit always seems to manage to embarass the hell out of themselves on national TV like clock work each year. In my family, it's just expected... just as reliable as Grandma's lumpy gravy and Aunt Helen's dried-out turkey... we just know the Lions are going to lose.

you are not alone. I too am a Lions fan. I think Millen is the worst GM in the history of sports. I saw a demotivator (if you haven't seen these look them up demotivator..com) someone posted one with Millens picture. It says "stupidty. Quitters never win, and winners never quit, but those who never win and never quit are idiots" I love that saying about him.

Depite being a fan, I actually don't care anymore. I refuse to go to a game (even turned down freebies) and I wont but any Lions sutff as long as Millen is there. The bad part is that as horrible as the nfc is thos year they may actually make the playoffs, which means we're stuck with Millen even longer. Just be glad you're not in town, you'r enot as stuck with it as we are.

it is funny to be at other events around town and have people start chanting Fire Millen

Hey PJ,

I think me & my husband, Mace are coming up to Ypsilanti for Christmas. Are you going to be around town then?

well lets see John Rogers isn't too far away, Dave Major, Bob K and I know I am forgetting others

I could do the "get it the f*ck off me dance" for ALL of you!!! But I want some serious ballet moves as an even trade!!!

I didn't realize there were that many Michiganians!!!:D

Correct me if I am wrong, PJ, but I thought the term was Michiganders? But I do know to never correct someone with two large "twin" brothers that all three originated from Joisey!!

Correct me if I am wrong, PJ, but I thought the term was Michiganders? But I do know to never correct someone with two large "twin" brothers that all three originated from Joisey!!

No kidding. All she would have to do is say that Doug just won a race and they would start pummeling you!!!;):D

You got it, Jay!!! And all in the name of good fun! Ask Suzie about being the recipient of the "People's Elbow" (and probably the deliverer of several also)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back