Spec Fuel Pump in the future? (1 Viewer)

Looks like if someone puts "smaller" heads on they could even go faster than 4.90's
Big Jim said to CPlus:

It’s going to cost a lot of money to convert these cars,” Dunn said, as he prepared his engines for Sunday’s final eliminations at the NHRA Midwest Nationals. “You have to change heads because they’ll be too big in the exhaust ports. The blowers are too good"

Well, they reported wrong as we did not have the spec pump on our car. From what I heard the pump is just to small when you pull down on the engine to lock up the clutch and it starts burning up parts. They are already working in another direction to make sure that they have the volume available at this point on the run. You can check out my blog on NHRA.com to get a better understanding. Thanks Jeff

While watching my copy of the 2000 AutoZone nationals from memphis (the one with schumacher and dixon having huge crashes) it was mentioned by Eli Gold that the top fuel cars were using 65 gallon fuel pumps. I thought it rather ironic that that part was mentioned on the race i just happened to pop in considering all the talk going on about changing pump size. Mike Dunn's response was "the more fuel they can shove in these engines the faster they will go." Schumacher was on the pole for that race at a 4.55, and John Force was #1 in funny car with a 4.81. I don't think that was a bad era at all for dragracing. I'd be thrilled with switching the clock back about 10 years. That was also the first year of the 90% rule after Eddie Hill, Mike Dunn, and Cory Mac blew the engines right out of the framerails in the 99 season, and Doug Herbert grenaded on the line in Pomona.

This just in:
DRO

Sometimes nothing goes right and we receive bad information. As it turns out, the Kalitta team was not using the spec 60-gallon fuel pump in their St. Louis test session, as we reported yesterday. Jon Oberhofer wrote us a nice note to tell us that. He also said he and many of his peers were opposed to the smaller fuel pump, as were all of the crew chiefs the Agent talked to at the St. Louis race.

Only John Force and Tim Wilkerson got the pumps to test. The teams were running a quarter mile so the performances were indeed not what NHRA was looking for. One of the Agent’s operatives reports that the pumps are already back at Sid Waterman’s shop for additional work, meaning they will up the GPM. How high is anyone’s guess, but the smart money is on 75 gallons! [5/7/2010]

Jim Head is my hero!!!
:):):)

He's certainly not my hero, but he was pretty much spot-on as usual. Although I really didn't get his whining about the advantage to the multi-car teams with a rule change. No matter what the change, the muli-car teams will continue to enjoy the same advantage they currently do over the independents.

I've touched on traction control on several different threads and really didn't get a bite. I would love to hear from someone who actually knows why this wouldn't be one of the best directions to head in. Forget about the monumental step forward it would take for the near pathetic qualifying show by getting them to actually run side-by-side (or at least much closer), but it sure seems to me that many of these explosions they're trying to prevent are pre-empted by tire spin. Traction control equals more side-by-side racing, fewer explosions equalling less downtime, fewer explosions equalling less money needed for parts possibly leading to more teams being able to participate..................

What am I missing? Why isn't this being talked about?

Sean D

Did you hear him after his interview? It was background but I am pretty sure he was saying something to the effect of "That probably wasn't what I was supposed to say" :D

I already deleted the show but I'm pretty sure that is almost exactly what he said!!!:cool:

Sean: he's not really my hero but he is pretty darned knowledgeable about fuel racing and he does call it like he sees it!!!

Did you hear him after his interview? It was background but I am pretty sure he was saying something to the effect of "That probably wasn't what I was supposed to say" :D

I played it back several times - that is what he said, maybe not word for word, but it's what he said. Did you see him take his hat off, look at the Full Throttle logo and motion to throw the hat to the camera guy..

Classic, and perhaps one of the last times someone sticks a camera in Jim's face and asks a question like that!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't live, and I'm glad they left it in.

I played it back several times - that is what he said, maybe not word for word, but it's what he said. Did you see him take his hat off, look at the Full Throttle logo and motion to throw the hat to the camera guy..

Classic, and perhaps one of the last times someone sticks a camera in Jim's face and asks a question like that!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't live, and I'm glad they left it in.

Yea, I'd forgotten about the hat!!!
PRICELESS!!!
:D:D:D

Although I really didn't get his whining about the advantage to the multi-car teams with a rule change. No matter what the change, the muli-car teams will continue to enjoy the same advantage they currently do over the independents.

Sean D

His point was that the gap between single car teams and multi-car teams gets smaller the longer the rules remain the same (or basically the same). Every time there is a major rule change, the gap gets widened out again. His complaint wasn't against a particular change.........just rule changes in general.

Real simple fix that would cost less than $100.

Reduce the size of the main fuel line(s) from the tank to the pump.

Well, they reported wrong as we did not have the spec pump on our car. From what I heard the pump is just to small when you pull down on the engine to lock up the clutch and it starts burning up parts. They are already working in another direction to make sure that they have the volume available at this point on the run. You can check out my blog on NHRA.com to get a better understanding. Thanks Jeff

I've heard this from Bill MIller, Virgil Hartman, and a few others. But what did they do about this problem before they were running 65-70 GPM pumps???

I've heard this from Bill MIller, Virgil Hartman, and a few others. But what did they do about this problem before they were running 65-70 GPM pumps???

The cars were about 500 lbs lighter back then.That makes a big difference.
Plus the heads and blowers are so much better now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back