Snake Wants Testing Limited (1 Viewer)

Go to an IHRA race and buy them there.

Nascar builds tires for each individual track pretty much. They don't run the same tire at Bristol, Daytona,Indy, so on and so on..... Taking the tires at the end of the day is no big deal, becasue they won't be any good anyplace but that track (in most cases) anyways. NHRA is the exact opposite. IHRA you can still use the older style tire even.

Think about it you must have some type of safety crew available in order to test. That would be a major expensive for a team to employ an entire safety team and clean up crew and everything. Just my 2 cents. I really don't care how much they test or don't test it will be hard for the independent guys no matter what.

Andrea Novelli-Ellis
www.NationalMachineRepair.com

Me thinks Sankes paper is getting low. Why limit testing?

The cost savings, as Snake highlighted, are very significant. Add to that, there are now two teams that operate a vast majority of the fuel teams providing them with a significant R&D advantage over everyone else. it makes for an extremely unlevel playing field IMHO. Schedule a couple dates well in advance and allowing all the teams to be there would be easier, less expensive and, as Andrea said, allow full safety crews to be present.

Why not limit testing? :confused:

Last edited:
Welcome Andrea!
I have no problem with unlimited testing since any team can get into a funk at times. Then NHRA implements a new tire again, and it's vitally important to keep pace.
Most importantly, I don't believe we need more rules imposed on a successful organization, in fact, can we go back to a week before Indy and impose a moratorium on rule changes?

They already brought lesser funded teams back into play with the Playoff Chase and I guess this is the next step to parody.

Just how exactly did they bring the lesser funded teams back into play with the playoff chase?

The limited testing does at least foster that idea and I'm all for it. I agree with Snake on this one.

I've always enjoyed Snake (since late 60's) for what he has done for the sport, but I have never been a big Snake fan. However, as he gets older, and I get older, the stuff he says makes more sense all the time. He has two solid fuel teams, one in each nitro class, which can strike at any time. He is a large figure in the sport, and I think what he is saying about this makes sense. Some think it sounds self-centered on his part because maybe he cannot afford to do things like he could 2-3 years ago. But he seems like the type who puts the sport first. Any time you fire one of those nitro cars up and run it through the 1/4 mile it costs a lot. If you have a $4,000,000 budget, it doesn't hurt too much. If you have a $800,000 budget, ouch. What is the problem with leveling the field a little? Wouldn't 30 car fields be appealing?

Now, Pro Stock, that would be a different thing.

And, why don't we get Congress to allocate any one that wants to run a Fuel car 5 million a year, federally funded and staffed race track and take all auto racing out of the realm of private enterprise?

It's only FAIR!!!!!:(

Two things come to mind. First Snake is NOT a member of PRO so would he still be affected?

Second the way NASCAR limits it's guys are with tires, Good Year sells them tires at the track, but they are NOT allowed to take them home after the race, they must be turned in. So if you have no tires, you can't very well make laps.

Alan

I am not sure if it is still in effect with NASCAR but they used to limit the amount of testing at Cup tracks only. A driver can/could test as much as they wanted at a non Cup track. Kentucky got a lot of drivers testing as it was a non Cup track. I believe they also have goodyear sessions that do/did not count against there testing limits.

NASCAR teams still test at Rockingham.

Which tracks would get to hold the designated tests? The other tracks would want a cut of the action since they make money on the Monday testing under the current setup.

Basically, as was said, it's unenforceable, would just make running IHRA events more attractive.

How would you get parity - a four-car team would still get four times the testing compared with a one-car team.

Just how exactly did they bring the lesser funded teams back into play with the playoff chase?
Because it allows the less-funded teams, who under a 23-race points system wouldn't have much of a shot at championship (based on the previous points standings), would under the new format. Look at Tim Wilkerson. His best season was in 2004, when he finished seventh after winning twice in three final rounds and two semis. Even under his best season, he had no shot at the title, but other the new system, at least he would have an opportunity.
The independent teams can now just shoot for a top 8, and then hope they can get hot in the fall.

Because it allows the less-funded teams, who under a 23-race points system wouldn't have much of a shot at championship (based on the previous points standings), would under the new format. Look at Tim Wilkerson. His best season was in 2004, when he finished seventh after winning twice in three final rounds and two semis. Even under his best season, he had no shot at the title, but other the new system, at least he would have an opportunity.
The independent teams can now just shoot for a top 8, and then hope they can get hot in the fall.
What planet have you been on??? This isn't 2004...it's 2006....the cost for a Tim Wilkerson to run one these car has risen dramatically. Have you looked at the Top Ten in points lately?? Lower funded teams my ass!

What planet have you been on??? This isn't 2004...it's 2006....the cost for a Tim Wilkerson to run one these car has risen dramatically. Have you looked at the Top Ten in points lately?? Lower funded teams my ass!

I've been on planet Earth. The point is that under the chase format, an indpendent team can shoot for a top 8 by the cut, and it still gives them an opportunity to at least compete for the title. That's not the case under a points-only format.

From JROD - "Me thinks Sankes paper is getting low. Why limit testing?"
Very perceptive! Snake's personal pockets are probably nowhere as deep as Shoe, Black, Conrad, Evan, Powers and Lucas. Purported Target and/or Crown Royal deals are not done. Should be interesting to what happens if Snake has to start the season without a sponsor!

I have never seen Snake care about $$$$! since when does he care about the independent/low funded teams?

I agree $20k is alot to spend in a day testing....I wonder how much Snake's jet fuel and pilot bill is for the year? Maybe he should park the jet and test the cars... :cool:

Boy,,,More rules what a terrific idea!! :eek: :rolleyes:

I don't see me owning a fuel car so my opinion really doesn't matter. But, when did it become any of somebody else's business, if or when , I took my hot rod out to play??? I own the thing, if I wanted to go run it I would.

NHRA should go back to being a safety sanctioning body, and not try to make a rule for when I can go start my tow rig to go racing. :mad:

What is next? NHRA holds all the cars and transports them to the races. Then you stand in line with your checkbook and say, I would like to race the blue one today please. It really doesn't matter which one you get, they are all the same. :rolleyes:

Rapid

I have never seen Snake care about $$$$! since when does he care about the independent/low funded teams?

I agree $20k is alot to spend in a day testing....I wonder how much Snake's jet fuel and pilot bill is for the year? Maybe he should park the jet and test the cars... :cool:

Are you still upset about the SPY+ deal?

You seem a little down on Snake.

I see people don't understand sarcasm.
Stop making rules to 'level the playing field'...
I can't afford to play, so I don't. If you can afford to test a hundred days a year, then do it. If you can only afford to test 10 or 20 days a year, guess that's it. If you can only afford to run your mess on race weekends, so be it. Match race on the off weekends, I'm sure there's people that will play to see you race, or do what Gilby's doing the next couple of weeks, go for a title you think you can win.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back