Scelzi Announcement on 4/17 (1 Viewer)

If Scelzi announces his retirement I sure as hell hope that we'll still see him. Frankly, I'd love to see him do some broadcast work. The guy is one of those true bigger than life drag racing personalities that this sport really needs.

Retirement would not be a surprise. Gary is very devoted to his boys and really doesn't have much more to accomplish. When he first talked about this a couple of years ago, I guess I pissed him off by stating it wasn't going to happen. Got a very heated call and I learned a lot about how difficult balancing life on the road is with being a loving father.
If he leaves, we will all miss him, but I have a feeling he would be correctly putting his family first. If you're reading this Gary, thanks for some incredible
memories - Jim

I was just listening to Bubba the Love Sponge and he said Gary will be on his show next Tuesday to make a major announcement about him and drag racing. Bubba said Gary wanted Bubba's show to be the first media outlet to hear his news. Let the speculation begin......
O.K. Let's speculate... ;)
First off, how many have ever heard Bubbas show?? raise your hands... Let me just say that this is not the type of radio talk show you might be thinking about... This is Howard Stern on crack... Not a respected SPORTS radio talk show like one would imagine... Now with that being said and probably not being fully understood... I cannot imagine that Gary would make a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT concerning himself and Drag Racing... At least in the terms of announcing his retirement... I do not want to get into Bubba speak here... I'll just say that anything that has to do with being sincere or making a career ending announcement on Bubbas show would be very odd...

I am not saying that is not what is going to happen... I have heard him the last few years talk about this issue as well... However, I still cannot picture him letting Bubbas audience know of this major announcement instead of say Windtunnel or NHRA.com or Raceday or or or... I am a huge Scelzi fan... I just can't fathom him starting the "HANGING UP THE BOOTS" tour on Bubba the love sponge's show... He wears a pink g-string and a yellow tube top on racedays :eek: yes... Please do not bash me for saying that unless you have ever heard Bubba's show, it is pretty far out there... But, whatever... :D I guess I can wait til tuesday... :)

O.K. Let's speculate... ;)
First off, how many have ever heard Bubbas show?? raise your hands... Let me just say that this is not the type of radio talk show you might be thinking about... This is Howard Stern on crack... Not a respected SPORTS radio talk show like one would imagine... Now with that being said and probably not being fully understood... I cannot imagine that Gary would make a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT concerning himself and Drag Racing... At least in the terms of announcing his retirement... I do not want to get into Bubba speak here... I'll just say that anything that has to do with being sincere or making a career ending announcement on Bubbas show would be very odd...

I am not saying that is not what is going to happen... I have heard him the last few years talk about this issue as well... However, I still cannot picture him letting Bubbas audience know of this major announcement instead of say Windtunnel or NHRA.com or Raceday or or or... I am a huge Scelzi fan... I just can't fathom him starting the "HANGING UP THE BOOTS" tour on Bubba the love sponge's show... He wears a pink g-string and a yellow tube top on racedays :eek: yes... Please do not bash me for saying that unless you have ever heard Bubba's show, it is pretty far out there... But, whatever... :D I guess I can wait til tuesday... :)

I kind of agree that it would be odd for Scelzi to make a retirement type of announcement on Bubba's show. Although Gary did find out the power of the Bubba show when he had motorhome problems last year!

I don't know.....I hope it's not retirement......

I still think that if Gary does retire from Schumacher racing, I still think he might accept a part-time schedule if it were presented. Running 10-12 races a year is a lot easier than 23.

Nobody knows for sure, but in my mind when a guy like Scelzi hangs up his helmet, he wouldn't do a part-time deal. Probably an all-or-nothing situation. More likely to take a few years off, then come back in a full-pull deal. Again, this is all speculation, so it's meaningless. Let me just that I too, am a huge Scelzi fan, and hope that whatever happens finds him still connected to the sport somehow.

Bubba also is a part time dirt track racer, driving himself in dirt late models & sprint cars. My guess is Scelzi will be announcing retirement as he's mentioned in the past. BUT, Bubba could be fielding a USAC Midget ride for Gary at the 2008 Chili Bowl. Who knows ? Scelzi is buddies with Tony Stewart & Danny Lasoski, so there could be some open wheel racing in the future. I for one, would hate to see Gary retire from drag racing, but I greatly understand that family & business come first.

well if he is retiring,prolly thinkin of medlins situation and doesnt want to take the chance of having his kids grow up without a father?

LOL I was thinking the same thing. How can he announce something as important as retiring On a comedy show.Although he does fit right in and is a big fan favorite. He's great on the show.Who knows? I hate waiting for things.lol.

Makes sense that he will be announceing his retirement. I guess this will give everyone lots of time to start speculating on who will fill that seat next year.

Makes sense that he will be announceing his retirement. I guess this will give everyone lots of time to start speculating on who will fill that seat next year.
Mendy Fry- Sean Bellemeur- Marty Nothstein

Don- SIR, Three very capable applicants... :cool:
Along with myself of course... :D

Last edited:
I read this post and went and listen to the bubba show today for all of 1 min. if that is all that is on the I woukd just quit listening to anything the 1 min that I listen to he must have said the f work 20 times. If that the kind of show that Gary is going to make a big annoucement I have lost a little respect for Gary

Lanny

Strip...
Surprisingly, it's a whole different market we've got to reach...
We may not like it... so we don't listen

Raider aka Dad

Just Listen To Scelzi... Said He Is Sworn To Secrecy.. Annoucement Tuesday... Personally... Ride In Force's Funny Car

Did anyone catch this

Left Lane: John Force Runs 4.921/287.23, Now #14; Best prior run: 4.888/318.47, Was #13
Right Lane: Gary Scelzi Runs 4.772/325.61, Now #3; Best prior run: 4.941/308.85, Was #15

We're down to the final pair and now J. Force is #13 in the field. Scelzi has fallen just about as far and if they hook they could be close to the top again. Scelzi just runs away from The Boss and he slots into the #3 spot. It appears that he has pushed John into the #14 position. That closes out the session for Nitro Funny Car and we're moving into Top Fuel

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back