Force to sit out 2007-Scelzi discusses accident on Bubba the Love Sponge-today (1 Viewer)

Man, that's about the worst (incorrect) description of the accident i've seen yet!!!

Very true, but his statement about Force being out for the rest of the season, is why I posted it.

All in all, John will do what he wants to do, I'm sure. We'll just have to see how this plays out I guess.

I agree, John will do what he wants to do--but I don't see him driving before the year is out.

About 5 years ago, there was a paraplegic racer that outfitted a nitro funny car to try and license in. For the life of me, I can't remember his name, but I know he had hand operated throttle and clutch controls on the steering wheel, so it is possible. I think the Worshams helped get a little bit of a base line tune up, but I never heard of the guy going more then a couple hundred feet.

EDIT-- Driver was Steve Kotten.

Last edited:
I can't believe some will be suprised John won't race again this year! It may be a stretch for him to run without pain come Jan!

I've had this pic for a long time, and it came from DRO or Comp+ I don't remember.:eek:

HandControl.jpg

Last edited:
Steve Kotten was even able to get out of the roof hatch in the required time. With a few to spare.

Being a Paraplegic myself I would loved to see him do that.

here's a link of his car

http://www.nhra.com/2002/news/February/images/kotten.jpg

So, what does the rulebook have to say about injured people driving?

If a paraplegic can drive a car, and get out in the required amount of time...what would be the thing holding Force back from getting back in the seat? As long as he can grip with his hands...any ideas?

Oh Lordy! Scelzi and Bubba together again...the radio just might not be big enough for the two of them. You think Scelzi's crazy? I can hardly wait for Thursday because Bubba alone is worth the cost...add Scelzi and it's just INSANE!!!!! Someone needs to whack them both on the nose with a newspaper and yell 'MIND' at them. like puppies!

Oh Lordy! Scelzi and Bubba together again...the radio just might not be big enough for the two of them. You think Scelzi's crazy? I can hardly wait for Thursday because Bubba alone is worth the cost...add Scelzi and it's just INSANE!!!!! Someone needs to whack them both on the nose with a newspaper and yell 'MIND' at them. like puppies!

THAT's funny, Darryl. I believe Gary's been on the Bubba show several times. God bless him! :p ;)

John drove after his hands got all cut up whan a glass trophy he had broke in his hands, I don't see him driving in Richmond, Las Vagas probably.

I've really thought about this..... yes, John is driven more than anyone I've ever seen. He's overcome a lot in his career. But this has been a very tough year for him and JFR. I don't believe he has ever healed from losing Eric. He's seen Ashley be on fire and seen her crash. His was a freaky accident. I believe it is possible that he may rethink some things. Certainly not his commitment to safety improvements since Eric's death. But perhaps his own mortality. Who would blame him?

Just a thought.

Gary is on Bubba's show now. He is saying he would not be shocked to see Force driving in Richmond. The biggest problem that might prevent Force from driving will be with Force's hands he thinks. He just said all the teams are adding braces to the frame around the driver's area because of the chasis failure Force had and there could be a weak area on all FC chassis.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back