Satellite Radio (1 Viewer)

Ron you are exactly right.
Having it for even a short amount of time ruins you for regular radio .
For us traveling types it might have already saved our lives by not having to fish for a new CD every 30 minutes.
Thats another consideration.

I've been toying with the idea of getting Satellite Radio(I'm a truck driver & spend alot of time listening to radio or CD's) What service are you using & why do you like it? Also are there any NHRA shows on it?

My best friend is a long-haul driver/trainer for Covenant. The way he solved the "which sat. radio do I get?" problem was by getting both! He claims he listens to both about equally throughout the year.

Kelly, ask any shareholder how much they've been paid in dividends

Even the website posted had this to say:

"Both Sirius and XM are growing rapidly, but losing money as they aim to improve their technology and sign on top-shelf entertainment, from the largest U.S. sports leagues to celebrities like Stern, Oprah Winfrey and Martha Stewart.

Sirius and XM shares have also shed more than 40 percent of their value in the last year, compared with a 10 percent rise in the Standard & Poor's 500 Index, with investor concerns ranging from the ability to meet new subscriber targets to a weak retail sector."

I know XM's stock isn't set up to pay dividends in the first place because I've owned it before.

What'd Sirius give Howard? Something like $500 million?

I bumped into a driver once who not only said he had both services, but that he was able to get them both to work through the same antenna.

Dittos what Larry said. I had three trucks at one time and I always jokingly apologized to new drivers, telling them I was going to "ruin" them by providing satellite radios, that they'd never be able to drive without them again. I think it's pretty much true. Kinda hard to go back to the outhouse once you've had indoor plumbing. :D Larry pilots barges, so he's just like us.

Just my opinion, but I like SIRIUS better. Sirius has NFL and NHL -- the only thing XM has on them is that XM has baseball.

XM, Sirius rise on merger speculation

Above is a link to a Jan. 12 story in Business Week that says the two systems may merge.

I like Howard Stern. You can purchase SIRIUS and simply not listen to Howard if you don't like him -- there are so many other good stations on SIRIUS.

I've decided on XM.Now the next question...What recevier are you using?
I'm kinda leaning toward the Audiovox xpress.

Sirius and XM Radio to merge? Shares of satellite radio operators XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. rose Friday, on speculation that the companies might merge or combine in another way. "We believe a 50/50 enterprise value split or perhaps a slight premium to XM shareholders may be warranted in a merger scenario," Stifel Nicolaus analyst Kit Spring said in a Thursday client note, keeping a "Buy" rating on XM shares. RBC Capital Markets analyst Ryan Vineyard in a Friday note to investors said a combination would generate long-term value for shareholders, given slow retail channel growth. Advertising, office, retail incentives and other synergies total between $5 billion to $6 billion, he wrote. Vineyard believes XM would need to be the acquirer, since it has 7.6 million subscribers to Sirius's 6 million.(Business Week), so..what does this mean for NASCAR Radio, which is now on Sirius? no idea, but looks like total speculation at this point.(1-12-2007)

I have XM which I like a lot. I purchased the Pioneer Inno receiver which works well for me. I like it because its portable, it can record about 50 hours(I think) of XM content for playback which comes in handy if you get in an area where reception on the portable unit is a problem. I haven't had a problem with getting good reception in the car though with the external attenna.

I've decided on XM.Now the next question...What recevier are you using?
I'm kinda leaning toward the Audiovox xpress.

Um, whatever came with the car..LOL! I'll assume it's made by XM? I honestly have no idea. My car came with the premium sound system which included the 6 CD changer, MP3 capabilities, XM satellite radio and the 7 speakers.

I don't think they even sell the old Sony plug and plays that we've got anymore. I'd go with one of the more economical ones that will just transmit the signal to a station that you can pick up on your radio.

Well I neded up with a Audiovox Xpress & XM
I kinda like the audiovox because it has a rotary knob for tuning & a remote control so my fat little fingers can tune & drive with 11,500 gals of gasoline all at the same time.:cool:

Re: Satellite Radio merger not likely

The "merger premium" for XM and Sirius is evaporating.
Inside Radio reported on January 11 that - based on FCC Chairman Martin's comments at the Citigroup conference - he "probably wouldn't officiate at a marriage" between the only two licensed satcasters. Today the Chairman said it even more clearly - that the current FCC rules wouldn't permit a merger. That report from Bloomberg and others got investors hitting the "sell" button on "XMSR" and "SIRI."

They have both been in trouble for reporting exaggerated subscriber numbers by counting radios in un sold cars on dealers lots.

After spending 16+ years in radio, I say find the service you like the most and go for it. I wish it was around when I was driving a truck.

I think regardless of what service you have, you will be happy with the end product. I know I am with Sirius.

HOWEVER? U.S. Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin said on Thursday a rule that bars XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. from merging could be altered, if requested. Martin, speaking to Reuters on the sidelines of a conference in New York, said he was not aware of any request to change the rule on satellite radio licensing ownership, which currently prohibits one entity from owning both licenses. "The commission looks at anything that is presented to it (and) all of the commission's rules are open to be changed," Martin said. He declined to comment on the specifics of any potential satellite radio merger.(Yahoo/Reuters)...so in otherwords...clear as mud.(1-19-2007)

That's interesting stuff Mike. I'd bet that if faced with the prospect of neither company being profitable and perhaps both going away, and viewing a merger as a potential "save", they'd approve it in a heartbeat.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back