Satellite Radio (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
I've been toying with the idea of getting Satellite Radio(I'm a truck driver & spend alot of time listening to radio or CD's) What service are you using & why do you like it? Also are there any NHRA shows on it?

I've had XM for just about 2 years now. Somebody will come and tell how great Sirus is because they have. One thing for sure is in the future satellite radio is going to change big time as neither one are making any money.

I've had XM for just about 2 years now. Somebody will come and tell how great Sirus is because they have. One thing for sure is in the future satellite radio is going to change big time as neither one are making any money.

I haven't followed it because I don't have either but I thought I heard they are considering merging. Anyone else hear that?

I have Sirius.

I have heard XM's broadcast and prefer what I have.

Sirius is now gaining on XM as far as total subscribers and also is now reporting turning an actual profit.

My bet would be on Sirius as far as longevity between the two.

I have also listened to interviews with Scelzi and Capps on 'Bubba the love Sponge's' show. And no, no NHRA yet but NASCAR is coming to Sirius and that COULD lead to a channel for other types of motorsports if it does well.

Hey, just my .02.

REX

They are both losing money like crazy so the better do something.
A guy at work has it and he can stream it on the 'net, it's very cool.

I think that they MIGHT merge but I'll bet money that they go the way of cable tv with different packages and the more you spend the more premium stations you get.:cool:

You can bet the NASCAR coverage will be dedicated to NASCAR 24/7, "no room at the inn" for NHRA or any other motorsport series.

Sirius' big surge was due to Howard Stern - since he's not my daily listening cup of tea, my MP3 player takes care of my music needs and is a lot cheaper.

I have XM in all three cars and can listen on-line too, It was already installed in my trailblazer so I did the three month free trial, I love it, I have never had a CD in the player, don't need it. they have whatever music you want 24/7 no commercials, coast to coast. I've never had Sirius but I would imagine it's the same, XM had NASCAR but I never listened to it so I wont miss it, the comedy channels are pretty good too. It's great for travelling because you never have to search for a radio station or a CD, I've put 35,000 miles on my trailblazer this year so it's nice to have.

Well I'm fixin to find out and will report on the results cause my new pilot has sirius and I have XM.
Our own Alan Reinhart has a segment on Joe Costello's show every Tuesday on XM 143 at 6.00 PM EST.
Joe is a super comp. Drag Racer and with the loss of Nascar to Sirius I hope more drag racing news comes my way.
A John Force interview started it off and Capps and Seltzi have both contributed interviews.
I hope one or the other stays in business as I have 4 Units two of them mine.
I just got a XM Roadie which will play in my vette or in my truck and my brother has some neat XM radio headphones which I plan on stealing every chance I get.
He got some kind of Antenna thingie you put on an outside window and the headphones work inside so he can use them while exercising.
New equipment may give them a boost and I doubt you can find fault with the programing .
Like everything else it costs but too late I travel most of the time and I am hooked.
Like Kenny says you don't need no stinkin CD's any more and where ever you go you know where to find what you want to listen to.

I've been toying with the idea of getting Satellite Radio(I'm a truck driver & spend alot of time listening to radio or CD's) What service are you using & why do you like it? Also are there any NHRA shows on it?
I have a Xact Sirius unit. I am presently using the FM transmitter mode which isn't working out that well. They way it works is you preset a station that has no broadcasting on it and then set the same station in your Sirius/XM unit. The unit transmits to the dead/unused channel. Living in San Diego there are few channels that aren't being used so occasionally a station bleeds over and interups the FM transmission. There are 2 wasy to get around this problem. Some new cars have an auxillary jack that you can hard wire diectly to the satellite radio reciever (or Ipod). This is the preferred method but not all cars have a jack. The other way is to use a device that tees in between your antenna and your radio. These work good too. Overall, I like Sirius. I lose the signal going under large overpasses causing gaps in reception that kinda pisses me off when I am listening to an interview. I think that you can try the Sirius streaming feature on a trial at Sirius.com They don't stream every channel but you can see the whole list of what they offer. Hope this helps.

I have Sirius and love it! I listen to Howard in the morning and Bubba in the afternoon. When those two aren't on I listen Octane 20, the hard rock channel. It came with my Charger and I have become a huge fan of satellite radio. You can't beat commercial free music stations that are dedicated to your favorite type of music. I love it so much I bought an XACT unit for my house.

I have XM in my vehicles since the new GM vehicles come with it and I love it. I also disapprove of Howard Stern which is an excellent reason for a guy like me to not support Sirius. I understand not everyone shares my values and agree to disagree with those who love his smut.
As has been said, you can get about anything and you get it anywhere so it's quite an improvement over local radio or the limitations of carying CDs with you.

My co-worker has XM at work (boombox). I got a Sirius reciever for my car as a christmas present. I prefer Sirius over XM and I could care less for Stern. Sirius has "blue Collar comedy channel" that will make anyone laugh. Sirius programming seems to have less "B" sides also. NASCAR is a plus too!

Mike, this will be my 21st year driving and satellite radio is the best thing I've EVER put in a truck.

Think about it. Who DOESN'T have cable or satellite TV at home nowadays, paying at least $50-60 plus a month for it? And, when do they get to see it? AFTER they get home.

For pennies a day, you've got entertainment all day long AT WORK! I can all but guarantee you whichever one you go with, you're going to be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

A regular radio in a truck is ridiculous. If you do find a good station, you've got it for how long depending on what side of a town you're on? Thirty minutes? An hour? Then you're hunting again. Baloney. I push a button, I know what's going to be there. I see that the majority of trucks still don't have sat radio antennas on them and it boggles my mind.

I've had XM for several years. I will say that I've been around a couple of Sirius units momentarily here and there. Don't know if it was just timing, but I wonder if their classic rock might be better. XM has three classic rock stations, and two of them seem to have undergone a tremendous "softening." I do like their old time radio station (#164). Ride around late at night listening to old pre-TV radio versions of The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, Dragnet, The Shadow, etc. Cool stuff. They've got both, adult and cleaned up comedy stations. Pretty much every darned kind of music you could imagine. VERY good talk radio programs on #165.

My other half liked it so much when she'd go with me that she's got one in the mini van now. Don't know about Sirius and I can't remember by how much, but with XM a second unit on the same account is a lot cheaper per month. I've also got an antenna and cradle in my RV and dually. Whenever I take either anywhere, I just pop the receiver out of the truck and pop it into whatever vechicle I'm going to be driving.

Oh yeah, don't buy into the baloney that you have to have a "special" (read "money") antenna for a truck. I've had a regular car antenna cable tied to my mirror bracket (cause there's almost nothing on the outside of a truck for the magnet to stick to) for years. On my RV, I used my bandsaw to cut out a piece of 1/8" steel the same size as the antenna's bottom surface, then used A-B epoxy to glue it to the roof to give the magnet something to stick to. That way I can still take it off when I sell it.

Last edited:
I love my XM. It came with my HHR free for 3 months and I said I would never pay for satellite radio. Well, I lied. Just renewed the subscription for year 2. ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back