Satellite Radio (1 Viewer)

We'll find out soon - XM and Sirius have announced a merger plan - requires government action to waive current laws and regulations since it creates a satellite radio monopoly, but their argument is that they are competing with things like podcasts and digital radio.

Calling it a monopoly is interesting in this case. How many "little guys" would be kept out of the satellite radio business? I know that Hugh Panero put together something like $2 billion to get XM off the ground.

For what it's worth, I'm an XM guy. The unit I have is portable and I use it at the shop, at home, and in my car. It plugs into the Stereo where you would plug in an I-Pod. Or you can run it through a cassette deck or just set an FM station and listen that way. The point is that I take it with me when I travel and can use it in any car with a radio. It's about the size of a walkman. I would guess that Sirius has something similar but then I'm not on Sirius, I'm on XM

Tuesday evening, 8:15 eastern channel 144 Joe Costello's Power Shift

Alan

P.S. Who is this Howard guy?

For what it's worth, I'm an XM guy. The unit I have is portable and I use it at the shop, at home, and in my car. It plugs into the Stereo where you would plug in an I-Pod. Or you can run it through a cassette deck or just set an FM station and listen that way. The point is that I take it with me when I travel and can use it in any car with a radio. It's about the size of a walkman. I would guess that Sirius has something similar but then I'm not on Sirius, I'm on XM

Tuesday evening, 8:15 eastern channel 144 Joe Costello's Power Shift

Alan

P.S. Who is this Howard guy?

Alan, Any chance they will do a middle of the night replay for those of us who work REALLY stupid hours?(1:00am to 1:00pm)

Heard tonight that the merger is a done deal. I'm betting both XM and Sirius will find a way to charge every subscriber to get the combined broadcasts!

Well, from what little I've heard of a few Sirius units, I hope their classic rock influence bleeds over to the XM side.

I wonder if they'd continue to maintain all their satellites? XM has four, nicknamed "Rock", "Roll", "Rythm", and "Blues." One hangs in the lobby of their D.C. headquarters. Pretty breathtaking conversation piece.

Last edited:
Here's an e-mail I received this morning from XM:

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
CEO, XM Satellite Radio

Forward Looking Statements
This letter contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the benefits of the business combination transaction involving Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., including potential synergies and cost savings and the timing thereof, future financial and operating results, the combined company's plans, objectives, expectations and intentions with respect to future operations, products and services; and other statements identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "plan," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "will," "should," "may," or words of similar meaning. Such forward-looking statements are based upon the current beliefs and expectations of SIRIUS' and XM's management and are inherently subject to significant business, economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies, many of which are difficult to predict and generally beyond the control of SIRIUS and XM. Actual results may differ materially from the results anticipated in these forward-looking statements.

The following factors, among others, could cause actual results to differ materially from the anticipated results or other expectations expressed in the forward-looking statement: general business and economic conditions; the performance of financial markets and interest rates; the ability to obtain governmental approvals of the transaction on a timely basis; the failure of SIRIUS and XM shareholders to approve the transaction; the failure to realize synergies and cost-savings from the transaction or delay in realization thereof; the businesses of SIRIUS and XM may not be combined successfully, or such combination may take longer, be more difficult, time-consuming or costly to accomplish than expected; and operating costs and business disruption following the merger, including adverse effects on employee retention and on our business relationships with third parties, including manufacturers of radios, retailers, automakers and programming providers. Additional factors that could cause SIRIUS' and XM's results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements can be found in SIRIUS' and XM's Annual Reports on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2005, and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended March 31, 2006, June 30, 2006 and September 30, 2006 which are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") and available at the SEC's Internet site U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (Home Page) The information set forth herein speaks only as of the date hereof, and Sirius and XM disclaim any intention or obligation to update any forward looking statements as a result of developments occurring after the date of this press release.

Important Additional Information Will be Filed with the SEC This communication is being made in respect of the proposed business combination involving SIRIUS and XM. In connection with the proposed transaction, SIRIUS plans to file with the SEC a Registration Statement on Form S-4 containing a Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus and each of SIRIUS and XM plan to file with the SEC other documents regarding the proposed transaction. The definitive Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus will be mailed to stockholders of SIRIUS and XM. INVESTORS AND SECURITY HOLDERS OF SIRIUS AND XM ARE URGED TO READ THE JOINT PROXY STATEMENT/PROSPECTUS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS FILED WITH THE SEC CAREFULLY IN THEIR ENTIRETY WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION.

Investors and security holders will be able to obtain free copies of the Registration Statement and the Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus (when available) and other documents filed with the SEC by SIRIUS and XM through the web site maintained by the SEC at U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (Home Page). Free copies of the Registration Statement and the Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus (when available) and other documents filed with the SEC can also be obtained by directing a request to Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., 1221 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020, Attention: Investor Relations or by directing a request to XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., 1500 Eckington Place, NE Washington, DC 20002, Attention: Investor Relations.

SIRIUS, XM and their respective directors and executive officers and other persons may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies in respect of the proposed transaction. Information regarding SIRIUS' directors and executive officers is available in its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2005, which was filed with the SEC on March 13, 2006, and its proxy statement for its 2006 annual meeting of stockholders, which was filed with the SEC on April 21, 2006, and information regarding XM's directors and executive officers is available in XM's Annual Report on Form 10-K, for the year ended December 31, 2005, which was filed with the SEC on March 3, 2006 and its proxy statement for its 2006 annual meeting of shareholders, which was filed with the SEC on April 25, 2006. Other information regarding the participants in the proxy solicitation and a description of their direct and indirect interests, by security holdings or otherwise, will be contained in the Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus and other relevant materials to be filed with the SEC when they become available.

You'll notice that the "lawyer and regulatory talk" at the bottom of the letter is as long as the letter itself, just a foretaste of the legal and regulatory hurdles the two companies will have to overcome in order to pull the merger off.

You'll notice that the "lawyer and regulatory talk" at the bottom of the letter is as long as the letter itself, just a foretaste of the legal and regulatory hurdles the two companies will have to overcome in order to pull the merger off.

The only think missing was that side effects might include headaches, nausea, loose stools, cramps, or an erection lasthing more then 4 hours. :D

I just know that XM's classic rock stations have gotten softer and softer, on average. I heard a Sirius unit a time or two and heard songs I haven't heard in a long time, and that shouldn't happen when I'm listening to XM almost daily.

One thing that ticks me off about XM. They advertise about not having commercials on their music channels. They have commericals, alright. They have commericials for XM, what I'm already paying for!!!! AARRGGHH!!! They don't have OUTSIDE commercials.

Anyways, used to be when I'd be listening to their commercial for Top Tracks on 46 (when I'm LISTENING TO Top Tracks on 46! AARRGGHH!!!), the announcer/Sonny Fox would say something like "You could look at your reciever to see what's playing, but you probably won't have to." Well, they don't say that anymore. Now they often play the most obscure $&*#@!!!. Then they started Big Tracks on 49. Same thing. In the beginning it was harder classic rock. Now it seems like when it's not Bruce Springsteen, it's John "not Cougar" Mellencamp.

Music on XM

Last edited:
This is the note I received from Sirius. It's very similar to the XM note.

February 19, 2007

To: SIRIUS Subscribers

Today is a very exciting day for SIRIUS customers. As you may have heard,
SIRIUS Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are merging to form the nation's
premier audio entertainment provider.

This combination of our two offerings will benefit you - our loyal listeners.
As a single company, we'll provide superior programming to you every day with
the best of both SIRIUS and XM. Currently, XM and SIRIUS broadcast a wide range
of commercial-free music channels, exclusive sports coverage, news, talk, and
entertainment programming. Howard Stern. Oprah and Friends. The NFL. MLB.
NBA. ESPN. CNBC. Fox News. Additionally, the combined company will be able
to improve existing services such as real-time traffic information and rear-seat
video as well as introduce new ones.

After shareholder and regulatory approvals, we anticipate that the combination
will be finalized by the end of 2007. Until then, both companies will continue
to operate independently. We will continue to provide you with the
uninterrupted service - as well as the outstanding customer support - that you
have come to expect and enjoy from SIRIUS. We do not anticipate any changes in
your service during the merger process, however, please call our customer care
team on 1- 888-539-7474 should you have any questions.

We look forward to the many benefits this combination will offer and continuing
to make your listening experience an enjoyable one - offering more of the Very
Best Radio on Radio.

Stay tuned,

Mel Karmazin, CEO

Forward Looking Statements
This letter contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the
Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but
are not limited to, statements about the benefits of the business combination
transaction involving Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio
Holdings Inc., including potential synergies and cost savings and the timing
thereof, future financial and operating results, the combined company's plans,
objectives, expectations and intentions with respect to future operations,
products and services; and other statements identified by words such as
"anticipate," "believe," "plan," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "will,"
"should," "may," or words of similar meaning. Such forward-looking statements
are based upon the current beliefs and expectations of SIRIUS' and XM's
management and are inherently subject to significant business, economic and
competitive uncertainties and contingencies, many of which are difficult to
predict and generally beyond the control of SIRIUS and XM. Actual results may
differ materially from the results anticipated in these forward-looking
statements.

The following factors, among others, could cause actual results to differ
materially from the anticipated results or other expectations expressed in the
forward-looking statement: general business and economic conditions; the
performance of financial markets and interest rates; the ability to obtain
governmental approvals of the transaction on a timely basis; the failure of
SIRIUS and XM shareholders to approve the transaction; the failure to realize
synergies and cost-savings from the transaction or delay in realization thereof;
the businesses of SIRIUS and XM may not be combined successfully, or such
combination may take longer, be more difficult, time-consuming or costly to
accomplish than expected; and operating costs and business disruption following
the merger, including adverse effects on employee retention and on our business
relationships with third parties, including manufacturers of radios, retailers,
automakers and programming providers. Additional factors that could cause
SIRIUS' and XM's results to differ materially from those described in the
forward-looking statements can be found in SIRIUS' and XM's Annual Reports on
Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2005, and Quarterly Reports on Form
10-Q for the quarters ended March 31, 2006, June 30, 2006 and September 30, 2006
which are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") and
available at the SEC's Internet site U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (Home Page) The information set
forth herein speaks only as of the date hereof, and Sirius and XM disclaim any
intention or obligation to update any forward looking statements as a result of
developments occurring after the date of this press release.

Important Additional Information Will be Filed with the SEC
This communication is being made in respect of the proposed business combination
involving SIRIUS and XM. In connection with the proposed transaction, SIRIUS
plans to file with the SEC a Registration Statement on Form S-4 containing a
Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus and each of SIRIUS and XM plan to file with the
SEC other documents regarding the proposed transaction. The definitive Joint
Proxy Statement/Prospectus will be mailed to stockholders of SIRIUS and XM.
INVESTORS AND SECURITY HOLDERS OF SIRIUS AND XM ARE URGED TO READ THE JOINT
PROXY STATEMENT/PROSPECTUS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS FILED WITH THE SEC CAREFULLY IN
THEIR ENTIRETY WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION.

Investors and security holders will be able to obtain free copies of the
Registration Statement and the Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus (when available)
and other documents filed with the SEC by SIRIUS and XM through the web site
maintained by the SEC at U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (Home Page). Free copies of the Registration Statement
and the Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus (when available) and other documents
filed with the SEC can also be obtained by directing a request to Sirius
Satellite Radio Inc., 1221 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020,
Attention: Investor Relations or by directing a request to XM Satellite Radio
Holdings Inc., 1500 Eckington Place, NE Washington, DC 20002, Attention:
Investor Relations.

SIRIUS, XM and their respective directors and executive officers and other
persons may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies in
respect of the proposed transaction. Information regarding SIRIUS' directors
and executive officers is available in its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the
year ended December 31, 2005, which was filed with the SEC on March 13, 2006,
and its proxy statement for its 2006 annual meeting of stockholders, which was
filed with the SEC on April 21, 2006, and information regarding XM's directors
and executive officers is available in XM's Annual Report on Form 10-K, for the
year ended December 31, 2005, which was filed with the SEC on March 3, 2006 and
its proxy statement for its 2006 annual meeting of shareholders, which was filed
with the SEC on April 25, 2006. Other information regarding the participants in
the proxy solicitation and a description of their direct and indirect interests,
by security holdings or otherwise, will be contained in the Joint Proxy
Statement/Prospectus and other relevant materials to be filed with the SEC when
they become available.

Well a hurdle is an understatement .
There are exactly two sat music companies , that's 1 and 2 .
The merger makes it one entity which means a monopoly which means legally it can't be done so here comes the lawyers and here comes the campaign contributions loaded with grease.
I want the service to continue either way but If their are only two of them they can't legally merge creating a monopoly.
The company I work for deals with this stuff every time they buy out a competitor and it works as a percentage of the market.
We are only aloud to hold 49% of the market. Period.

I currently have Sirius in my house, truck, garage and office at work, and it is always on Octain 20! With the merger and all, the question isn't which one anymore, but which one will be come the parent, and what will happen to the programming? Some one in here said we might have to pay to get "all" of the channels, so my questions is, will we have to upgrade the equipment to handle "all" the channels, because if so, now we are paying more monthly and paying for new receivers, on top of our current ones are useless or handicapped.

I know XM has added channels since I bought my old Sony plug and play receiver. All of a sudden there'll just be a channel that wasn't there before.

I just hope they don't mess with my evening and late night talk shows. Great when you're driving with nothing else to do and you can actually LEARN something.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back