Rumor - New NHRA Venue for 2021 (1 Viewer)

As I noted earlier in this thread, I’m curious how long the current lease on the track property is good for. In 2011 it appeared the track was going to be closed.
Per the attached article, in 2011 a multi-year lease was signed. But the article does not say how long the lease was to run.
The track was sold to be developed as a rock quarry. Unfortunately when the buyer was busy assessing what was under the top soil in terms of value, they forgot to look skyward ..... the quarry is in Class C controlled airspace from the Ground to 4700 MSL .... you technically can't throw a rock in the air without asking the FAA's permission. And after buying it, the rock developer learned that, had a "no way, no how" discussion with the FAA" and quickly leased it back. I think that paved storage area is owned by Todd/Kieth but I'm not certain they could easily clean it out for a couple of weeks.

The track was sold to be developed as a rock quarry. Unfortunately when the buyer was busy assessing what was under the top soil in terms of value, they forgot to look skyward ..... the quarry is in Class C controlled airspace from the Ground to 4700 MSL .... you technically can't throw a rock in the air without asking the FAA's permission. And after buying it, the rock developer learned that, had a "no way, no how" discussion with the FAA" and quickly leased it back. I think that paved storage area is owned by Todd/Kieth but I'm not certain they could easily clean it out for a couple of weeks.
Jeff, thanks for that update. Interesting information about the quarry.
Hopefully that track can hang in for a long time. It’s already over 50 years old.
It’s plenty long for all the big show cars. But, there’s just not an over abundance of paved pit area.

Well, here you go, ATCO.
1608504610846.png

SAVE ATTCO
Monday, December 21, 2020; 7 pm EST
https://zoom.us.j/8021658857
Meeting ID: 802 165 8857
Password: 474199
or
Call 1-929-205-6099
Meeting ID: 802 165 8857
Password: 474199
The public meeting is being conducted via Zoom due to the pandemic. The links are above; if you do not have zoom, I have also listed the phone number with meeting ID and password to call in.
The application, maps, documents are believed to be available from the Waterford Township Municipal Building via their Planning and Zoning Administration.
If you are to call in/zoom for the meeting, I am asking for complete respect to the committee members of Waterford Township, owner(s) of the track (past, present, and future) and Insurance Auto Auctions, as well as all members of this group, including admin and moderators of this page. We have all worked long and hard to get to this point and this is what it all comes down to. We may not agree with what is going on, but we need to be civil, respectful, and professional. Calling in screaming and ranting isn't going to do anyone any favors.
Commenting is turned off for this post. Any questions can be directed to the admin of this page via private message. You may also make a post which will be directed to all admins for approval. Posts will be approved at admin discretion.
Brandon Armstrong
Harold J Caron
Brian McBri
Greg Ericsen
Julie Lyn Kaminskas
Scott Oliver

Wow Pete. Nice find. I was told by an NHRA official just a few years ago that they didn't run Nationals there anymore bc it was too short. But my son mentioned that the alcohol cars are now running speeds that you would think would be dangerous there today (they have had regional events there for awhile). The big extension shown in this map demonstrates how. That's a considerable improvement. I wonder if NHRA did that before they sold the track ?

That extension was done back when the Spring Nationals were still run there. I know it wasn’t there in the 80’s but I believe it was done in the 90’s. As far as the reason they don’t run there anymore I personally think has more to do with the event moving to Norwalk and the NHRA not wanting to spend the money for upkeep. I can’t think of anything significant they did to it while they owned it. Others may know more than me.

I think division 1 is too far North for an April event.

My only guesses and I am not sure they are all qualified are:

SGMP
Bradenton
Auto Club Famoso

I would love to see US131MSP added to the NHRA though!
SGMP and Bradenton are my two guesses.....

Tulsa fits in well with the geographic considering the other 3 events during April are out west.

Wow Pete. Nice find. I was told by an NHRA official just a few years ago that they didn't run Nationals there anymore bc it was too short. But my son mentioned that the alcohol cars are now running speeds that you would think would be dangerous there today (they have had regional events there for awhile). The big extension shown in this map demonstrates how. That's a considerable improvement. I wonder if NHRA did that before they sold the track ?

That extension was done back when the Spring Nationals were still run there. I know it wasn’t there in the 80’s but I believe it was done in the 90’s. As far as the reason they don’t run there anymore I personally think has more to do with the event moving to Norwalk and the NHRA not wanting to spend the money for upkeep. I can’t think of anything significant they did to it while they owned it. Others may know more than me.

I have been in Ohio since 1990 and I remember it being there. There is also a traffic light there to stop traffic every time a fuel car runs. I looked at buying that house several years ago. They moved to Norwalk to try and bring in the crowd from the north for attendance.
Another event at National Trails is no more redundant than running 2 events at the same track.
Ohio is central to 80% of the population.

Tulsa is also in a "Red State", so there aren't likely to be any ridiculous crowd restrictions related to the virus hysteria, at least for 2021.

Last edited:
I have been in Ohio since 1990 and I remember it being there. There is also a traffic light there to stop traffic every time a fuel car runs. I looked at buying that house several years ago. They moved to Norwalk to try and bring in the crowd from the north for attendance.
Another event at National Trails is no more redundant than running 2 events at the same track.
Ohio is central to 80% of the population.
Jody Smart ran off the end before the extension was there. I was thinking it was ‘88 but maybe it was a year earlier than that. If it was put there in the 80’s it had to be toward the end. I think it would be fine having both events also. At the time it was moved I don’t believe they were looking to expand the number of events in this region and it made sense for the reasons you said. The last few years the SpringNationals was at trails it seemed like attendance was down and Norwalk has been packed so I guess it was the right move. I do hope they hold a national event there again someday.

Last edited:
Jody Smart ran off the end before the extension was there. I was thinking it was ‘88 but maybe it was a year earlier than that. If it was put there in the 80’s it had to be toward the end. I think it would be fine having both events also. At the time it was moved I don’t believe they were looking to expand the number of events in this region and it made sense for the reasons you said. The last few years the SpringNationals was at trails it seemed like attendance was down and Norwalk has been packed so I guess it was the right move. I do hope they hold a national event there again someday.

Notwithstanding the fact that Columbus, being the state capitol, is a business area and Norwalk is a tourist area hotel rooms will be less costly. Also, it's the home of Jegs and I believe at the last Spring event held there, Jegs had billboards up all around the city. Jegs needs to speak up.

Notwithstanding the fact that Columbus, being the state capitol, is a business area and Norwalk is a tourist area hotel rooms will be less costly. Also, it's the home of Jegs and I believe at the last Spring event held there, Jegs had billboards up all around the city. Jegs needs to speak up.
I was told by people in the know say N.T. is trying for a national event

I was told by people in the know say N.T. is trying for a national event
I don’t doubt that is the plan considering the type of improvements they have been making. Expanding the seating only makes sense if that’s the plan. The last heavily attended event I was at there was the ADRL over 10 years ago and it was heavily promoted with free tickets. I couldn’t tell you how many casual race fans have told me they haven’t been to a race since they moved the SpringNationals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back