Rumors from Complus (1 Viewer)

We know Rt. 66 is off and there's other tracks that might go under, it will be interesting to see the schedule. I pray the vaccine works and we can go back to normal living.

Change is inevitable and right the NHRA is experiencing a great deal of change and there are more questions than answers.
There is a lot of speculation about the future of drag racing and just how much it might change in the coming years.

Between the sponsorship problems, coronavirus, and smaller fields and not being able to have spectators I am not sure I would want to have the problems the NHRA is now facing.

Only time will tell how it all turns out within the coming years.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

Pomona is not really part of my SoCal drag racing scene. I race my super pro dragster at Fontana, Irwindale(pay attention in the shutdown area and Barona. Many of my competitors run at Fomosa. I did take a class from Jack Beckman at Pomona many years ago. It was cool to run down the track where my dad and I watched the Hawaiian get into Brackett Field airspace 50 years ago. The track does not have a regular racing program per se.

Pragmatically, it really makes more sense for the NHRA to move into Lucas Oil Raceway in Clermont, In. They can leave the museum. Its pretty cool to have it 40min. from my house.

Pomona is not really part of my SoCal drag racing scene.

Pragmatically, it really makes more sense for the NHRA to move into Lucas Oil Raceway in Clermont, In. They can leave the museum. Its pretty cool to have it 40min. from my house.

Agree - Indy would be closer to the customer.

Ya know, that makes sense. Movie it all to Indy, including the museum. I would really hate to lose Pomona, just cuz of the history. But, nothing lasts forever, especially drag strips. I don't wanna count how many tracks "I used to go to" that are gone. Also thinking how Calif gov't is not real receptive to auto racing, so maybe be a good thing to move NHRA to Indy.

The point I was trying to make, is that after losing it's biggest DMA market when Englishtown closed, if they can't race at Pomona there goes the LA market, another big loss. Add to that the Chicago track is closing, there goes the NHRA's three largest markets. I see the big issue as there's not a lot of tracks left than can host a full-tilt-boogie NHRA event close to major markets. NHRA has to change their business model in order to ride this Covid deal out. If I was the Czar of NHRA I'd cut the schedule down from 24 races to maybe 12 with tracks only getting one race a year, I'd make the nitro racers part of the equity by issuing charters similar to what NASCAR did to make their investment in the sport more valuable. I've got a million other ideas to save the sport I've loved and made a living in for 47 years so if the NHRA want's to bring me on as a consultant they know how to get ahold of me....LOL

What with the covid, I really wonder what tracks will be racing next year for Nat'l events. I'm thinking that Seattle is iffy, Sonoma is ??, Pomona is "no". Vegas is?? What tracks seem to be viable for 2021? Gainesville, Texas Motorplex, Houston..... Man this is so up in the air. Just my 2 cents but the states with Dem gov's seems to be the ones least likely to have motor racing (Calif, Washington State, etc). Even with smaller crowds, the spectators bring $ into the area. Wonder how much lost revenue for Pomona area, as example. Am so glad I don't have to make the schedule for 2021......

The Spanish Flu lingered on for 3 years. Unless a reliable vaccine get approved and quickly deployed we are in this for awhile. Any schedule should be written in pencil.

That could have been an exciting place to live. Maude, make sure we wake up early tomorrow, in case something comes into the yard...... :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back