Rumor - New NHRA Venue for 2021 (1 Viewer)

A few years ago when me and my dad were at an event at PBIR we got to talking about homestead speedway with one of the vendors. He told us that Homestead Miami speedway wanted to build a dragstrip that could hold a national event but it was not only the residents that complained but also the powers that be at Gainseville were worried about it taking away business from them. I sure wouldn't mind not having to drive 5 hours to get my nitro fix. The other problem is that.... it would be in Miami. Too many places where you pretty much have to wear a bulletproof vest just to walk outside.

Homestead is far removed from Miami and a totally different world. PS: I live here, Miami ain't bad. :)

Saw a few mentions of SGMP and Bradenton. SGMP has quite a small capacity for spectators, though the track surface and braking area are fantastic. The pits are a good size too and it is close enough to Atlanta to draw on that market. No corporate suites (the bones are there to make them if needed though) and a very small tower. It would need a lot of temporary infrastructure such as grandstands and spots for NHRA officials, media etc.
Bradenton has a great track surface but it's an older venue, showing its age in areas.

And as for Miami, it's a huge and diverse city. A lot of fun to visit.

Saw a few mentions of SGMP and Bradenton. SGMP has quite a small capacity for spectators, though the track surface and braking area are fantastic. The pits are a good size too and it is close enough to Atlanta to draw on that market. No corporate suites (the bones are there to make them if needed though) and a very small tower. It would need a lot of temporary infrastructure such as grandstands and spots for NHRA officials, media etc.
Bradenton has a great track surface but it's an older venue, showing its age in areas.

And as for Miami, it's a huge and diverse city. A lot of fun to visit.

SGMP too far outa town. Same goes for Bradenton. Someone mentione National Trail. Yes, and Ohio can handle 2 national meets. :)

No one has mentioned Atco. Is that because it's not big enough? (I've no idea -- never seen the place.)

It would make geographical sense following the loss of Englishtown.
Atco can seat maybe 6,000 spectators. The Jersyy weather is highly unpredictable in late April and there is zero chance the governor would allow a gathering of any significant size by April

They use to have it extended across Refugee road into the farmers field. I would assume something like that could be worked out again.
I remember stories of fuel cars being held for ransom when they went across the road ended up in someones front yard.

I remember stories of fuel cars being held for ransom when they went across the road ended up in someones front yard.
That’s funny. Don’t think I remember hearing that. Would have loved to see someone try that with Mr. Kalitta and a few others, lol.

This decision if indeed made should be interesting. What market if it happens?

New York
Detroit
Milwaukee

It seems the West coast is well represented, There are no national events in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, New Mexico, the Dakotas, big sky country and other areas. This has been a fun thinking thread.

TopFuel@Lions

This decision if indeed made should be interesting. What market if it happens?

New York
Detroit
Milwaukee

It seems the West coast is well represented, There are no national events in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, New Mexico, the Dakotas, big sky country and other areas. This has been a fun thinking thread.

TopFuel@Lions
Lost all of our tracks here on Long Island (New York). Any remaining tracks are upstate NY and could not handle a national event nor have a rich history as per the rumor.

why does there need to be another national event? 22 races scheduled. add one if bristol happens. does it really need to be 24?

why does there need to be another national event? 22 races scheduled. add one if bristol happens. does it really need to be 24?
I was thinking the same especially what we have gone through this year. But what if it is only a 2021 replacement for an existing race. With NHRA moving the March meet today, I’m thinking Pomona will not happen on the early April date and adding a race in Tulsa after Phoenix could work.

Bring back the Cajun Nationals....I wish......last time I went by State Capitol Dragway it didn't look like it could handle a division race. Baton Rouge is only 2 hours from me. Memphis would work for me too.

Bring back the Cajun Nationals....I wish......last time I went by State Capitol Dragway it didn't look like it could handle a division race. Baton Rouge is only 2 hours from me. Memphis would work for me too.
M.I.R. still in my mind sounds possible , but take a change of affiliation------same with Martin

I remember pop hot rod meets as a kid at Martin. Would live a national event Michigan but Martin isn't big enough. It's a nice track but limited access to enter/exit and pro pit space would be a few major issues. I usually go a couple times a year a d they have no problem pulling fans for show events. They'd need to add on to so a NHRA level national event

Just throwing it out there but what about GALOT, I know it is unlikely due to Charlotte and Virginia both being close in date but it is a world class facility, with many of the amenities of the nicest tracks already on the circuit with 9,000 seats that can be expanded. Timing wise it is the same distance as Bristol to Charlotte and Charlotte to Atlanta while only slightly closer than Charlotte to Dinwiddie by 15 minutes. In the southern part of the USA where weather will allow racing that time of year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back