Rumor - New NHRA Venue for 2021 (1 Viewer)

I don't see how late April works on the schedule. The new spring west coast swing ends 4/25 in Phoenix. Putting it right after Phoenix would mean 4 in a row. If you skipped a week and put it before Charlotte you would have two three in a rows with only a week in between. You guys know way more than I do about the possible tracks but appears the date won't work.

However, based on this comment in another thread (that I didn't seen when I first posted) from Bob Doerrer: " NHRA has moved the Phoenix Lucas race scheduled for May until October & the rumor is that the Winternationals will not happen in April as scheduled. With California under lockdown again who knows what will happen? " maybe there will be room in the calendar...

I don't see how late April works on the schedule. The new spring west coast swing ends 4/25 in Phoenix. Putting it right after Phoenix would mean 4 in a row. If you skipped a week and put it before Charlotte you would have two three in a rows with only a week in between. You guys know way more than I do about the possible tracks but appears the date won't work.

However, based on this comment in another thread (that I didn't seen when I first posted) from Bob Doerrer: " NHRA has moved the Phoenix Lucas race scheduled for May until October & the rumor is that the Winternationals will not happen in April as scheduled. With California under lockdown again who knows what will happen? " maybe there will be room in the calendar...
Yeah, don't be so sure about Pomona or Phoenix happening. That may be part of the equation here.

If Tulsa holds 10,000 then Martin has easily that many seats.
I think the point I'm more so trying to make is, there aren't many tracks with the infrastructure and access to handle an event with that many people and that many race teams. Just on the terrible access and lack of space Martin has, it would be tough.

I think the point I'm more so trying to make is, there aren't many tracks with the infrastructure and access to handle an event with that many people and that many race teams. Just on the terrible access and lack of space Martin has, it would be tough.
I'd agree with you on the access part. It is a total pain getting in and out of there.

Hmmmm..... SGMP could take the place of Atlanta, altho am thinking it would have to be updated a bit for a national event. That is a great track, lots of Pro Mod races there. Bradenton could be a good choice. Weather would be good in April. Famoso... would love to see a Nat'l event there. But the crowds would have to come from LA & maybe Norcal. But it could take the place of Pomona, if Pomona was closed. Just my speculation. Now am really curious as to what the new site will be.
Personally, I think SGMP and Bradenton are too close to Gainesville. I'm betting on some place more than a 3 or 4 hour drive from another national event.
Where that might be, I don't know, just guessing, but if I wanted to expand my territory, I would look at some place away from where I'm at.

Maryland or Martin? I've never been to either, but they look like they can hold close to that?

I went to Maryland in the IHRA days (2007?) and that place is no where near big enough. There was not enough room in the pits for the IHRA pros, no way you could double all of the fields for NHRA pros, plus hospitality, etc. I have never been to Martin, I am hoping to rectify that sometime soon. I have never been to Tulsa either, but looking at that Google Earth image, it would be tight, but doable.

I am curious as to what the hold up is to getting Bristol on the schedule. Doesn't seem to be a problem with any other Bruton Smith track ... so what is going on at Bristol?

Last edited:
Here's the most recent shot of the huge parking pad that Mike Kern showed a few posts back. This shot is from May, 2020, and it appears to be a big-rig holding yard, or something of the like. Looks big enough to house most of the necessary infrastructure, and/or spectator parking that would be required for a National Event. Doesn't appear to be part of Tulsa Raceway Park, but looks under-used, and likely leasable. Looks like the track has plenty of room for temporary grandstands. I'm sure someone will fill me in on whether or not the track and the truck-yard could be connected for access.
tulsa.JPG

National Trail is moving the grandstands back in..........
I thought about that when I read this. Not sure what Bader would think of this. I know back when I was there a lot in the spring the spectator side was a swamp. Location wise it certainly could make a good alternate if there is a cancelled event.

What about Cordova? That's a historic track, though late April could be a bit tricky. Not sure how many seats the place has.

How secure is the lease at Tulsa? It seems I remember a problem just a few years back and there was real concern the track was not going to survive.

What about Cordova? That's a historic track, though late April could be a bit tricky. Not sure how many seats the place has.
Cordova, Martin & Budds Creek are all IHRA tracks.

Also at any of those tracks, where are you going to pit 32 nitro teams?

I've been to both, I doubt they (honestly) seat 10,000. Also I believe either track doesn't have enough land. May 1st would be way to early to host a race at either track.
April in Michigan makes it a no go. In addition Martin has a entrance and exit problem. Pit area would be lacking for the pro rigs. With that said I would like to see it there.

When the Homestead Speedway was designed, there wer plans for a 1/4 mile dragstrip. It never happened. NIMBY.

A few years ago when me and my dad were at an event at PBIR we got to talking about homestead speedway with one of the vendors. He told us that Homestead Miami speedway wanted to build a dragstrip that could hold a national event but it was not only the residents that complained but also the powers that be at Gainseville were worried about it taking away business from them. I sure wouldn't mind not having to drive 5 hours to get my nitro fix. The other problem is that.... it would be in Miami. Too many places where you pretty much have to wear a bulletproof vest just to walk outside.

Cordova is my local track. Even if it were still NHRA, that wouldn't happen. Not enough seating, not enough prime pit space, the secondary pit space is quite sandy and has mostly unpaved access roads, and the shutdown is short and fairly bumpy. It would need a good infrastructural overhaul to be up to national event standards. It's kind of a pity because up on the hill by the 1000' mark is one of my favorite places to watch out of all tracks.

I am curious as to what the hold up is to getting Bristol on the schedule. Doesn't seem to be a problem with any other Bruton Smith track ... so what is going on at Bristol?

I read they are waiting to see if they can run the event over the fathers day weekend and that is the reason for the hold up of it being listed on the schedule.

No one has mentioned Atco. Is that because it's not big enough? (I've no idea -- never seen the place.)

It would make geographical sense following the loss of Englishtown.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back