Rumor - New NHRA Venue for 2021 (1 Viewer)

Just throwing it out there but what about GALOT, I know it is unlikely due to Charlotte and Virginia both being close in date but it is a world class facility, with many of the amenities of the nicest tracks already on the circuit with 9,000 seats that can be expanded. Timing wise it is the same distance as Bristol to Charlotte and Charlotte to Atlanta while only slightly closer than Charlotte to Dinwiddie by 15 minutes. In the southern part of the USA where weather will allow racing that time of year.
Isn’t it currently set up as an 1/8th mile track? It does look nice though.

Atco can seat maybe 6,000 spectators. The Jersyy weather is highly unpredictable in late April and there is zero chance the governor would allow a gathering of any significant size by April

Thank you. And if Atco is being sold, that would knock that thought on the head anyway.

Out of interest, how would Atco compare to Epping? I went to Epping last year and it wasn't exactly Z-Max.

Wasn't Galot an old track that was re-built as an 1/8 mile? Could have been 1/4 mile back in the day. Would be $$$$$ to make it 1/4 mile.

National Trail extension from Bing Maps:

1608304638087.png

Thank you. And if Atco is being sold, that would knock that thought on the head anyway.

Out of interest, how would Atco compare to Epping? I went to Epping last year and it wasn't exactly Z-Max.
Atco's a really nice place with paved pit parking for a smaller national (i.e., Fuel and sportsmen). Where they suffer is spectator parking and shutdown area/turn offs.

Atco's a really nice place with paved pit parking for a smaller national (i.e., Fuel and sportsmen). Where they suffer is spectator parking and shutdown area/turn offs.
There's been more than a few times cars have ended up in the swampy pines at Atco.

Atco also suffers from inadequate restroom facilities. The existing restrooms are not very good and I have been there when the septic system backed up.

Isn’t it currently set up as an 1/8th mile track? It does look nice though.
Wasn't Galot an old track that was re-built as an 1/8 mile? Could have been 1/4 mile back in the day. Would be $$$$$ to make it 1/4 mile.
It currently runs as a 1000' track for most divisional classes. The only ones that run 1/8 are those with performance indexes that haven't been translated (comp, stock, and super stock). I don't know how long their shutdown is in 1000' mode, but it seems to handle TS and TD fine enough.

Hmmmm..... SGMP could take the place of Atlanta, altho am thinking it would have to be updated a bit for a national event. That is a great track, lots of Pro Mod races there. Bradenton could be a good choice. Weather would be good in April. Famoso... would love to see a Nat'l event there. But the crowds would have to come from LA & maybe Norcal. But it could take the place of Pomona, if Pomona was closed. Just my speculation. Now am really curious as to what the new site will be.

That track would need to be seriously upgraded to host a National event.

Homestead is far removed from Miami and a totally different world. PS: I live here, Miami ain't bad. :)

Yeah, that's why the local news is doninated by reports of "Two men got into an argument, one pulled out a gun and shot the other."

As for this topic, it would be cool to see Tulsa getting a shot (no pun intended) at a national. Would have always liked to see PBIR getting a chance but that ship has sailed.

Yeah, that's why the local news is doninated by reports of "Two men got into an argument, one pulled out a gun and shot the other."

As for this topic, it would be cool to see Tulsa getting a shot (no pun intended) at a national. Would have always liked to see PBIR getting a chance but that ship has sailed.

Again, I live here and don't have a problem. PBIR isn't big enough to host a big event. It's in the middle of a swamp.

As I noted earlier in this thread, I’m curious how long the current lease on the track property is good for. In 2011 it appeared the track was going to be closed.
Per the attached article, in 2011 a multi-year lease was signed. But the article does not say how long the lease was to run.

National Trail extension from Bing Maps:

View attachment 7098

Wow Pete. Nice find. I was told by an NHRA official just a few years ago that they didn't run Nationals there anymore bc it was too short. But my son mentioned that the alcohol cars are now running speeds that you would think would be dangerous there today (they have had regional events there for awhile). The big extension shown in this map demonstrates how. That's a considerable improvement. I wonder if NHRA did that before they sold the track ?

Seems like an event at National Trail would be redundant, to me the only reason to add an event would be to go into a market that's new to the tour. JMO

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back