Richard Hogan Relieved of His Duties (1 Viewer)

It's always pleasant with me.But if you have something to say,then say it instead of offering "what you might say". Backpedaling and attempting to be tactful is a waste of time.

As far as the Federal government goes,it real clear we have some uninformed people.Why not offer your condolences and other wise cracks to the many government employees overseas that are protecting your right to post here.Or better yet to the families of the almost 4000 we've lost.

BTW,I'm on vacation until Friday.:p If you'd all like,PM me when I get back,the thread has been derailed enough,or we can continue here.

Last edited:
Jim,
Who knows who is right or wrong, but we do know how it was done....

"Do the right thing"
It's usually a lot harder to do when you have the luxury of money. Money usually makes one feel above and beyond people of lesser matarial worth.
My opinion never changed with the "other" guy who defaulted on his sponsorships at the beginning of the year.. The reason was clearly explained in his egomaniac, self satisfying, whacked out tirade that doesn't reflect a man of higher intelligence.

In the Lucas case, history will be a judge.
It seems that the Lucas's have had a history of a revolving door. Why? who knows, but their practice have directly translated to their successes in TF. A team with every avenue of potential success, and has earned absolutely none.

I also think history has taught us that while two people may not get along personally, given the chance and a common goal, they learn to grow together, respect one anothers differences, and success eventually grows out of that chemistry.
Success is like a seed that needs to be tended to.
The "real" foundation of the plant is it's roots, not the flower. It takes time, patience, and a little fertilizer to eventually bloom. It's not the sunny day that creates strength, but rather the storms that strengthen the roots. The Lucas's seem to be wanting instant success without allowing the rooting growing process to take place.
That is their choice, and their on track record shows their results.

It's always pleasant with me.But if you have something to say,then say it instead of offering "what you might say". Backpedaling and attempting to be tactful is a waste of time.

As far as the Federal government goes,it real clear we have some uninformed people.Why not offer your condolences and other wise cracks to the many government employees overseas that are protecting your right to post here.Or better yet to the families of the almost 4000 we've lost.

BTW,I'm on vacation until Friday.:p If you'd all like,PM me when I get back,the thread has been derailed enough,or we can continue here.

It is a slap in the face to all of our troops and their families to lump them in with the other "government employees"

Jay

So where's that Lucas press release that was supposed to be released? Isn't there a crew chief on car number two? The whole operation is suspect to me after the Melanie debacle last year.

Jim,

"Do the right thing"
It's usually a lot harder to do when you have the luxury of money. Money usually makes one feel above and beyond people of lesser matarial worth.
My opinion never changed with the "other" guy who defaulted on his sponsorships at the beginning of the year.. The reason was clearly explained in his egomaniac, self satisfying, whacked out tirade that doesn't reflect a man of higher intelligence.

It seems that the Lucas's have had a history of a revolving door. Why? who knows, but their practice have directly translated to their successes in TF. A team with every avenue of potential success, and has earned absolutely none.

I also think history has taught us that while two people may not get along personally, given the chance and a common goal, they learn to grow together, respect one anothers differences, and success eventually grows out of that chemistry.
The "real" foundation of the plant is it's roots, not the flower. It takes time, patience, and a little fertilizer to eventually bloom. It's not the sunny day that creates strength, but rather the storms that strengthen the roots. The Lucas's seem to be wanting instant success without allowing the rooting growing process to take place.

This is a perfect post . Very well said . Very true . I tried to explain the same thing the last time someone got fired over there .

So there you have it , money cant buy you happiness . Or success . It has to be earned , something I believe is lacking by a young man whos got daddys wallet . Forrest is obviously a brilliant man , but I bet you he earned it , and it wasnt handed to him .

I wish they would just settle in with a great crew chief , have some patience , and let it happen . They have had some of the best minds in racing and ended up letting them go .

Oh well , us keyboard idiots dont know anything . I am thankful for all the money they spend on our sport .

As far as the Federal government goes,it real clear we have some uninformed people.

Because, I didn't think you were one of them?

Why not offer your condolences and other wise cracks to the many government employees overseas that are protecting your right to post here.

Because, I was certain that you'd see that we were joking? My apologies for being wrong on both counts.

Jim,

"Do the right thing"

Another post against those nasty "rich" employers. What a surprise. We're just lucky to have you inform us what money "usually" does to people.

I could say that people who have a bias against wealthy people also "usually" have certain "inherent" stereotypes that they will try to convince others that those nasty "rich" people have. That sh*t works both ways, doesn't it? You're more obvious than I think you realize. You're just as stereotypical as the accusations that you consistently make.

Money is NOT a requirement to be an a$$hole. The rich don't have a lock on that! The talent is just more easily noticed when they do, IMO! It's the second generation and after that you have to watch. Again, IMO.

You say "history" will be the judge WHILE you're judging! You're the one who determines what has and hasn't been "earned"? (Same as my judging you for what you say or do. The difference is I will say that I'm doing it) Okay, thanks for my afternoon laugh. :D

Last edited:
Jim,

"Do the right thing"

What he said^^^^^
I couldn't have typed my opinions better myself. Thanks, George, for the honest and straightforward post.

When making omelettes you've got to break some eggs. That doesn't make the Lucas family A-Holes, nor does it make Hogan a victim. It is obvious the Lucas's have all the go-fast goodies but they aren't getting the results. If there was indeed a personality conflict, why wait any longer to get it sorted when there are no results to speak of?

Hogan is well qualified, he won't be out of a job long.

The Lucas family hasn't gotten to where they are without having to make some tough decisions and stick by their guns, this is just another instance of that resolve. There is still time for them to find someone and "gel" and make the Countdown. It sucks that they have to keep hiring and firing in their quest, but many other teams have done it over the years and had it eventually come around for them. Besides, Morgan and Forrest only have to be right once when they hire a crew chief ... and then they will be the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't let the relatively small sampling of drag racing fans that post to this board fool you into thinking that they are represenative of ALL fans opinions Morgan and come around and post more often.

The Lucas family are great people and are doing everything they can to excel at a very hard sport. People getting along and doing the right thing is difficult with 1 team and when you add a second team it becomes 4 times harder.

Richard knows how to run a team and is very talanted so no one is really to blame here. Blame really should not be passed around because my view of the change is that it is not anyones fault, it is just a change based on going in another direction. Richard and the team members will land on their feet with positive results for everyone.

Morgan is doing a good job, he is learning that business is not always fun but if you keep working hard at it you will make it a great business. The Lucas family has invested in NHRA and we should focus on that and not on the little changes that go on in the sport.

Everyone will forget all of thiis soon so all of the parties should just move forward and enjoy Houston next week.

I will say this! I think we need more government holidays. I came down I-95 through NYC at 5 PM yesterday and practically FLEW!!! :D

boy I hear ya ron. On those holidays when the highways in NJ are empty and Im breezing along at 80 mph on my way to a jobsite I think to myself. Hey maybe the end of the world or thermonuclear destruction aint such a bad thing after all!!! :D

I have worked for many years as a manager and executive of one of the largest companies in the country. My specialty has been building teams, and since leaving in 2000, I have focussed my consulting efforts on helping small and medium sized business leaders to recruit, build and manage teams of people. I offer this as background for the following comments.

Many teams in racing seem to miss the fundamental point of most teams: that "projects" (e.g. winning a championship) are about cooperative human effort, and not the money, time, or other resources you throw at them. All successful projects have some common elements such as a clear vision of the outcome, frequent and open communication, talented people in the right roles, and so on. Not all successful teams come to success with the exact same mix or the same style, but every one of them is dependent on the people to get them done.

Building an excellent team is tough, and is rarely done without "breaking some eggs" as another poster put it. Chemistry does play a role, although it is often overstated. I've found that most "chemistry" issues are really communication problems in disguise. Some people say too much or in the wrong way, others say too little or lash out passive aggressively. I've found that fixing most teams is at least 50% fixing the way people communicate.

I do not know Lucas Racing as a team (although I'd be glad to help), and certainly we here don't know enough to speculate on exactly what happened. But I do know things that support both sides of this situation: a) as a team leader, you have to frequently "cut your losses" and move out people who aren't working, and to do it quickly. However, b) you also have to make changes in a way that is open, honest, and respectful for all concerned or you risk long-term team health issues.

I certainly wish Lucas Racing all the success in the world, but I remind they (and everyone here) that treating others with respect, honesty, and frankness goes a long way to building teams that work well.

Chris Williams
http://clwill.com

I have worked for many years as a manager and executive of one of the largest companies in the country. My specialty has been building teams, and since leaving in 2000, I have focussed my consulting efforts on helping small and medium sized business leaders to recruit, build and manage teams of people. I offer this as background for the following comments.

Many teams in racing seem to miss the fundamental point of most teams: that "projects" (e.g. winning a championship) are about cooperative human effort, and not the money, time, or other resources you throw at them. All successful projects have some common elements such as a clear vision of the outcome, frequent and open communication, talented people in the right roles, and so on. Not all successful teams come to success with the exact same mix or the same style, but every one of them is dependent on the people to get them done.

Building an excellent team is tough, and is rarely done without "breaking some eggs" as another poster put it. Chemistry does play a role, although it is often overstated. I've found that most "chemistry" issues are really communication problems in disguise. Some people say too much or in the wrong way, others say too little or lash out passive aggressively. I've found that fixing most teams is at least 50% fixing the way people communicate.

I do not know Lucas Racing as a team (although I'd be glad to help), and certainly we here don't know enough to speculate on exactly what happened. But I do know things that support both sides of this situation: a) as a team leader, you have to frequently "cut your losses" and move out people who aren't working, and to do it quickly. However, b) you also have to make changes in a way that is open, honest, and respectful for all concerned or you risk long-term team health issues.

I certainly wish Lucas Racing all the success in the world, but I remind they (and everyone here) that treating others with respect, honesty, and frankness goes a long way to building teams that work well.

Chris Williams
http://clwill.com

Well said, but I don't think this guy needs help in that department because he's been there before, and that this is what puzzles me.

This is a great man, Forrest Lucas. I don't know him, and I've never had the priveledge to shake his hand.
A man who built a company from scratch, to what it is today. A man light years ahead with intelligence, respect, guts and class from the other so called "billionaire" who is/was involved in our sport.
This is a man who has obviously made teams of people pull in the same direction for the common goal, and for his company track record is obvious to everybody with a set of eyes..

My guess is that Forrset Lucas, like any father in his position, wants his son to succeed right now, and without failure..
For that, I can understand his impatience. I just hope he can step back and reflect on the many times he may have gotten flattened during his early years, and how working and trusting other people helped him become the man he is today. Hitting the skids, and getting your rear end handed to you by the competition only makes winning with the team that you built that much sweeter.

Morgan on the other hand will always be considered a silver spoon brat of some sort. To which I disagree. It isn't his fault he was born into a this priveledged situation that everyone could be jealous of. His parents obviously love him more than life itself, and can give him the opportunities we all wish we could and would give to our kids.

What Morgan has to do is very simple, and that's work harder than anyone else. Wake up earlier, stay later, show the team members love & respect, sweep floors, and treat everybody with the highest regard, no matter if it's the crew chief or the people at the bottom of his race team's depth charts. For that, they will bleed for him.

Last edited:
After three years of watching these guys tear up money and make excuses, hasn't it struck anyone as odd that with all of the associate sponsor money they pour into KBR, Snake Racing and others, couldn't someone on those teams throw them a bone and set them up with a baseline tune-up. Couldn't they hire Dick-O for a month to establish a solid management structure? Couldn't they find a hard working, smart young crew chief (say....Kevin Poynter) to take those resources and run with it.

Jim J and others are right...we don't know the entire story.

Mark

Here's some items of note:

1. Richard Hogan got fired by Garlits once. Garlits later expressed regret over his decision.

2. Richard's dad was "King" Hogan, who was the number one all out dragster in Florida when Garlits was running his first flathead powered rail job in the early 50's. Garlits has long expressed the utmost respect for Hogan Sr.

-FWIW

90% Jimmy:D

This is a great man, Forrest Lucas. I don't know him, and I've never had the priveledge to shake his hand.
A man who built a company from scratch, to what it is today. A man light years ahead with intelligence, respect, guts and class from the other so called "billionaire" who is/was involved in our sport.
This is a man who has obviously made teams of people pull in the same direction for the common goal, and for his company track record is obvious to everybody with a set of eyes.

Wouldn't it really suck if some character jumped in right here and said something like:

Please, stop this silly cheerleading of yours. You are acting like you have a motive, and looking for some dollars to fall your way. Your brown nosing may be sport to you, but there are some fine people out there who just had a cigar snuffed out on their forehead, and I'm sure it hurts deeply?

Wouldn't that suck when you were just trying to defend a good man's honor?

This is a man who has obviously made teams of people pull in the same direction for the common goal, and for his company track record is obvious to everybody with a set of eyes..

If I might respectfully disagree. Success in business does not mean there is clearly a good leader at the helm. I know this directly from personal experience. I have worked closely with senior executives of several Fortune 500 companies, and success, even business acumen, does not correlate directly to leadership skill.

Many, many business success stories are based more on the situation, the accident of timing, than on building and leading a great team. Simply put, people are in the right place at the right time, and their business takes off. Certainly it takes vision to see the opportunity, but my point is that many big businesses are born not from the skill of the leader, but the enormity of the upside they find themselves in. They simply executed against the opportunity, and ... poof .. they had a monster business on their hands.

Real leadership is tested not on the "going up", almost anyone can steer a ship in fair weather. Rather, the true test of leadership is what happens when the going gets rough. That's when leaders and teams show their true character. I've seen many who rode high on great success become random, irrational, and downright mean when it hits the fan.

Again, I don't have all the data, but I think we've seen in NHRA over the last few months more than one leader of a big, seemingly successful business who has made questionable decisions in the racing arena. No need to name names, but I think we can all draw the lines.

hey all,

I really appreciate your support on this subject.:rolleyes: It means so much to me that you care. There is two sides to every story. The competition plus article was posted before anyone here could even respond. We will have a press release out tonight.

Posted on 3/21. It's 3/24.

Still waiting for that press release...

There you have it! Proof that Lucas Oil is a fluke of business success! Wow! I'm convinced!

Never used the word fluke, never implied fluke. I said that running a big business doesn't mean you're automatically a great leader. Maybe just a heck of visionary -- saw the opportunity and ran with it. Maybe just inherited a business that daddy built. Maybe got a lucky break on the first business deal. Who knows, there are examples of them all in the Fortune 500. Still doesn't mean you know how to build and lead a team when the pooh hits the fan.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back