Restrictor Plates? (1 Viewer)

Here's Alexis incrementals in the last qualifying session at Gainesville in March where she ran a 5.446 at 267.91:

"Alexis De Joria's incremental times: 60ft-0.935 sec., 330ft-2.441, 660ft-3.612/211.69 mph, 1,000ft-4.607."

Manzo has run in the 4.50's.

Hope that helps. Apology accepted.

RG

Thanks For the clarification RG... I misread your statement... My Bad and I'll never question an RG statement again :D See, that's what happens when you grow up in Garden Grove in the sixties...

Forgive Me??????

d'kid

Wes,

Testing and driver training are two different things. The restrictor plate is for driver training.

If Ron Capps, just to pick a name, wanted to put the restrictor on his car and make 5 laps that wouldn't be allowed.

When Courtney Force drives her car, it is usually serviced by John's team. Guido, Ron and that group. It is her car, but they are not testing, they are training her. They put in a "stock" setup and she makes laps. But they can't try a new blower, because the restrictor would keep them from learning anything useful, I guess they could run different clutch stuff, but I know for a fact that the timers are set way differently than they are on an unrestricted engine, so what did you learn? There was an NHRA tech official stopping by Alexis' pit after every run to verify that the plate was on there.

The guys weren't pouring over the computer trying to figure out how to pick it up from 60' to the 330' they were servicing it and sending it. Just to get the laps.

And yes, I was there.

Alan

Alan...I think the concept is great. At least NHRA is allowing new driver development. I'll maintain, though, that there is data and lessons to be learned from any trip down a racetrack no matter the situation...or what's on a plate (pun, albeit a bad one). We'll agree to disagree.

The point buried within is that all this mental masturbation surrounding who can test when and who gets penalized for a pass at such and such a track hasn't really leveled the playing field very much.

Alan...I think the concept is great. At least NHRA is allowing new driver development. I'll maintain, though, that there is data and lessons to be learned from any trip down a racetrack no matter the situation...or what's on a plate (pun, albeit a bad one). We'll agree to disagree.

The point buried within is that all this mental masturbation surrounding who can test when and who gets penalized for a pass at such and such a track hasn't really leveled the playing field very much.

Wasn't the testing ban put in place due to a potential Nitro shortage years ago? With the rule I think the playing field is actually less level, as the low buck guys (read Terry Haddock) can't run match races to help fund their operation.

I'm not sure there is still a need or a place for the testing rule.

Wasn't the testing ban put in place due to a potential Nitro shortage years ago? With the rule I think the playing field is actually less level, as the low buck guys (read Terry Haddock) can't run match races to help fund their operation.

I'm not sure there is still a need or a place for the testing rule.

I think it hurts the middle of the road, full time guys more myself. Guys that don't have the bigger budgets, but still run the full tour (Wilkerson, the Pedregons, etc) who used to run more match races to help their efforts, but now are limited. Guys like Haddock, Peanut, and other independents aren't really hurt by the testing ban because they don't chase points anyways. They run their cars because it's what they love to do.

Seems like a lot of hassle for "training" a driver...if the data is not important, then share it with everyone else in the F/C pits.

Otherwise, run whatever the hell you want and after every run you get 3 minutes(on a computer that belongs to someone else) to make sure everything is working properly and then the data is deleted.

In my eyes, testing blowers is testing blowers, even with a restrictor plate your going to find out which out of A, B, C or D is the best.

Yeah maybe this is the proper way to get Force's girl trained, but I would find it hard to believe there isn't a little self serving going on.

26 (now 27) posts into this, and not one person has mentioned that we've "accidentally" figured out how to slow these cars down so that we can return to 1/4 mile racing! Put the restrictor plate on at tracks with "marginal" shutdown areas! I'm sorry, I just HAD to say it!:D

Look man......these people are racing. So I don't believe restrictor plate would ultimately slow them down. When the Sanctioning Body took away nitromethane percentage, 320 feet of track, testing sessions, rear wing.... all down the line - you name it, the Genius' that own, tune, service and drive these fantastic machines still still found a way to make them go faster. And let me tell you, the day they don't - I will no longer be a fan of this great sport!

@ Shawn...you HAD to go and ruin it for everyone with all that slow down nitro car talk!! :D

@Tony...great point, dude.

As for the crew. This testing with the plate, can help blend in a person or two into the crew. If they try to do a turnaround in the limited amount of time. It would make good use of time. Do they still break down the engine after each run or are they so backed down that they can get two runs before doing major service.

These cars go down to a block & crank and no clutch after every run. It only takes 10 mins to do it. A restrictor plate or "stock setup" is not going to stop anyone from doing that.

Last edited:
26 (now 27) posts into this, and not one person has mentioned that we've "accidentally" figured out how to slow these cars down so that we can return to 1/4 mile racing! Put the restrictor plate on at tracks with "marginal" shutdown areas! I'm sorry, I just HAD to say it!:D

Even "IF" NHRA considered this, how much performance adjustments would they have to make to T/A FC-Dragster?, Pro Mod? What would be the appeal of 5 sec. Fuel cars if Alky Dragsters run 5.30's? Funny Cars 5.40's??? It would end up costing all of these teams a Pantload of $$$!!!!

Last edited:
I don't know why they just don't take weight away, it would take load off of the motor and be lighter for when they stop. Does anyone else think the idea of stopping a 300mph plus 2300 pound car a bit much.

I don't know why they just don't take weight away, it would take load off of the motor and be lighter for when they stop. Does anyone else think the idea of stopping a 300mph plus 2300 pound car a bit much.

In 2004 Dougie went 3.758 with car that was 250 pounds lighter than the car of today and I would say the parts have evolved since then, so I don't see that happening.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back