Another Unemployed TF Driver (1 Viewer)

Re: Another Unemplyed TF Driver

Didn't Foley screw some girl out of driving that car in early 2010?

More to that story also. I don't think Doug is 100% to blame.

I would guess 1 of 2 things

Dote is parking

A different driver is bringing $$$$

Or any other number of reasons a TF teams gets a shake up I guess.

Don't know the whole story but this is what I was told....

Doug stole that ride by pretending to be there to sign the update to her license when in reality he was there to secretly offer more money for the ride.

He's a good guy but that was a bit low, if that's how it went down.

Don't know the whole story but this is what I was told....

Doug stole that ride by pretending to be there to sign the update to her license when in reality he was there to secretly offer more money for the ride.

He's a good guy but that was a bit low, if that's how it went down.

You guys were told wrong. The car was bought from Foley, his crew was running the car for Dote, and he was there to help the driver as well as manage the team.

Driver showed up unprepared to the point of not having a driving suit or the proper paperwork. Was not going to be able to drive the car at that test session, so how was a license going to be obtained? Other things supposedly took place prior to that time that contributed to her ouster.

Doug drove the car in a test run so as not to make the trip totally useless. Afterwards the two teams merged to enable them to attend additional events during the year.

Since it's inception, there have been some problems. The separation has been coming, and the press release is to notify everyone of that fact for legal reasons.

There is no reason to throw Doug under a bus, nor Dote either for that matter. Sometimes teams disban or go different directions for private reasons.

never let the truth get in the way of a good story;)

I saw their hauler about 20 miles from Bristol monday. Guess there was a change of plans.

Driver showed up unprepared to the point of not having a driving suit or the proper paperwork. Was not going to be able to drive the car at that test session, so how was a license going to be obtained? Other things supposedly took place prior to that time that contributed to her ouster.

Don't know who told you this, but this is a LIE! :mad:

Driver herself told me she bought everything with her. In fact, Foley gave her her driving suit back to her as she was leaving the premises that day.

For Pete's sake where is the civility here? I know Doug very well and I can tell you he's a straight shooter. Race teams part company and park cars for all kinds of reasons but it usually revolves around the all mighty dollar. By the way, Dexter is put his team back on the market. I was really hoping that Cory Mac and Dexter could go on for a long term program. But let's face it, NHRA pro racing is just to expensive in an economy like this one.

AGAIN, LET'S FIND AWAY TO MAKE IT MORE ECONOMICAL. NHRA was on that track but seemed to abandon the idea. I guess as long as they get a full field they have no incentive to fix the problem. I'd rather see a bunch of independents running in the high fours to low fives back on the quarter mile than a select few running in the threes at 1000 feet. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

I agree Rich. I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I think the pro show needs an overhaul. The nitro cars are amazing, they are running numbers that only a true rocket car could run at one time. At the same time, the show has become very vanilla. I am as diehard as they come, but even I am getting bored with the same handful of drivers taking turns winning. I love it when the independents join the mix through the year, but let's face it, they end up being there to fill out the fields. I would have no problem with taking a step back in the tune-up to create a car that can safely run say a 5.0 @ 300 in the 1/4 mile, and with the parts available now, imagine the longevity the engines would experience. You would have more parked cars being un-parked, and who knows, maybe we'd get back to the point of 32 TF cars @ Indy! I know nothing stays the same, and you can't go back in time, but I do think this cost issue is not being addressed, and likely won't until the NHRA consistently fails to fill fields.

At the same time, the show has become very vanilla. I am as diehard as they come, but even I am getting bored with the same handful of drivers taking turns winning. I love it when the independents join the mix through the year, but let's face it, they end up being there to fill out the fields.

I'd say there are 5 top fuel cars and 5 funny cars that have a good shot at winning every time they pull in the gate. Go back 25 years and see if that number has changed much.

So... 1986 it is.

Top Fuel-

Don Garlits
Joe Amato
Darrell Gwynn
Dick Lahaie

The rest- field fillers. Yeah Dan Pastorini snuck a win in there, but other then that the 4 guys at the top were about it.

Funny Car-
Kenny Bernstein
Billy Meyer
Mark Oswald
Mongoo$e had a good year if I remember right

Other then that???

Fast Forward 10 years 1996

Top Fuel

Blaine Johnson
Kenny Bernstein
Scott Kalitta
Cory Mac
Amato and Hill were in there some, but not always a threat to win

Funny Car

John Force
Tony Pedregon
Cruz Pedregon
Al Hoffman
Chuck Etchells

Not much has changed as far as a small group of cars that always seem to win, and it's always been that way. :confused:

Last edited:

Don't know who told you this, but this is a LIE! :mad:

Driver herself told me she bought everything with her. In fact, Foley gave her her driving suit back to her as she was leaving the premises that day.

Just because "the driver" told you this doesn't mean it is true. :rolleyes:

Lets also remember in the good old days--a driver had ample opportunity to have his car earn him a living. National events weren't ever about making your money back--"SUNDAY SUNDAY!" 8 funny cars! shows were. Are there still those chances out there? If a Zizzo or Foley WON a national, would the purse cover expenses? (Jungle Jim famously said the reason he didnt run NHRA races was there was no money in it) We need more "night of fire" type shows-give the idependents a place to earn+ learn. HOPING you get into the field is a tuff way to make a living. I dont know what 17th qualifier pays-but I bet it aint much. :(

Unfortunately, the current nitro fields are almost like a 16 car booked in match race show. Sure they run qualifying sessions, but if there's only 16 entries, all they're doing is setting up the ladder. Gone is the drama of watching 20 or more fuel cars trying to make the show. I agree it's time for the NHRA to do something to bring the cost of fuel racing back to the realm of reality. If things keep going the way they are, it'll be nothing more than the equivelant of a monster truck show, and before you know it we'll be seeing different drivers driving well known cars, like the multiple drivers that show up in trucks like Gravedigger etc.

Disclaimer: I have no inside (or much of any) knowledge on this or very many other subjects....BUT......

When I see this kind of story , I always wonder if there was ever any real money to make a deal.
I mean, did Foley ever get paid?
Did the Dote's have any real money or we're they predicating their entire deal on some mythical sponsor coming on board?

It never fails to surprise me to see Press Releases before one see's any money change hands.

I don't think ANYBODY should be thrown-under-the-bus until some verifiable details emerge.

You guys were told wrong. The car was bought from Foley, his crew was running the car for Dote, and he was there to help the driver as well as manage the team.

Doug drove the car in a test run so as not to make the trip totally useless. Afterwards the two teams merged to enable them to attend additional events during the year.

Since it's inception, there have been some problems. The separation has been coming, and the press release is to notify everyone of that fact for legal reasons.

There is no reason to throw Doug under a bus, nor Dote either for that matter. Sometimes teams disban or go different directions for private reasons.

Lets also remember in the good old days--a driver had ample opportunity to have his car earn him a living. National events weren't ever about making your money back--"SUNDAY SUNDAY!" 8 funny cars! shows were. Are there still those chances out there? If a Zizzo or Foley WON a national, would the purse cover expenses? (Jungle Jim famously said the reason he didnt run NHRA races was there was no money in it) We need more "night of fire" type shows-give the idependents a place to earn+ learn. HOPING you get into the field is a tuff way to make a living. I dont know what 17th qualifier pays-but I bet it aint much. :(

Unfortunately, until the NHRA changes the testing rules, that won't happen because any races outside of the "Big Show" count as testing days.

Jessie absolutely did not have a suit, that I know first-hand.
Jim Gunther;271136]Disclaimer: I have no inside (or much of any) knowledge on this or very many other subjects....BUT......

And I can guarantee 110% that finances were never, are not now, and will never be an issue for Dote Racing, which is alive and well. Foley was paid very well. I'm not throwing anyone under a bus or anything else. Facts are facts.
When I see this kind of story , I always wonder if there was ever any real money to make a deal.
I mean, did Foley ever get paid?
Did the Dote's have any real money or we're they predicating their entire deal on some mythical sponsor coming on board?

It never fails to surprise me to see Press Releases before one see's any money change hands.

I don't think ANYBODY should be thrown-under-the-bus until some verifiable details emerge.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back