OK Maters! Whos Going To Richmand! (1 Viewer)

Welcome to reality.....

And would you believe this is my first National Event since OCIR '81...

Me too, can't wait. Been looking forward to this since I found out nhra was coming back. I will be there saturday and sunday.

I'll be there, and it is also my first NHRA race (I've been to 1 local race). I too have been looking forward to the race since the announcement. One of my daughters is bummed she can't go. When my brother and I got tickets months ago she wasn't interested, but now since she started watching Driving Force she has been asking to come along. Maybe next year.

Brett

OK gang, we'll try again for some 'Mater meetings next weekend. I just couldn't bring myself to leave the dry warmth of the RV to walk around to the pits in the rain, but we'll be back next weekend looking for better weather.

Murdock.

OK gang, we'll try again for some 'Mater meetings next weekend. I just couldn't bring myself to leave the dry warmth of the RV to walk around to the pits in the rain, but we'll be back next weekend looking for better weather.

Murdock.

Sound good to me. Maybe we'll get there without an hour and a half detour next time:rolleyes:

Dave... normally up 460... but saturday morning was rerouted, down to emporia, I think Kelly R said at winsor... Believe her and Roland were a couple of hours behind me, when I came through on 460 at 7am, was flooded bad in several places... cars washed off the road, ect... so when I left the track, I went home via richmond

Welcome to reality.....

And would you believe this is my first National Event since OCIR '81...

Karl,

Where were you for 25 yrs? In a time capsule? Most nitro fans can't give it up for that long. What brought you back, besides a somewhat closeby race in Virginia? I too used to live out West, and may have attended that 1981 race at OCIR you mentioned. I know I attended a couple races there, and the last time would have been around that timeframe. I guess they closed the track a few years after that. It was the ultimate place to go in its day!

Thanks Murdock ...

for asking about me ? NOT... Just kidding you man..I camped this past week-end in Grayson County ...no rain until 2:00 a.m Sunday ..I won't be at Richmond , the wife and kids will not allow that ..You guys have fun...Whats this about a bowling tourney, these guys know you're a pro ? :D

Hey Kelly, which way do you come into the track from VB?

Murdock.

Like Karl posted, 460. I saw on the noon news that Franklin was flooded again, so a detour up 58 is out of the question this weekend. It was looking kinda bad Sat. when we went thru there. It's a double-edged sword at this point. Guess we're gonna have to toss a coin. I64 to I95 may be the better bet this time. I just don't like the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. It's always the same: "Let's all drive 90mph until we get to the tunnel, then panic, stop, and resume travelling at 25mph" Maybe VDOT should post those big white signs with black numbers, what are they called? This way everyone would know to drive at a constant speed of, oh, say 55mph or so. You would think highway engineers would be able to rate these highways and pass along such important safety information.:rolleyes:

for asking about me ? NOT... Just kidding you man..I camped this past week-end in Grayson County ...no rain until 2:00 a.m Sunday ..I won't be at Richmond , the wife and kids will not allow that ..You guys have fun...Whats this about a bowling tourney, these guys know you're a pro ? :D

Hey, Hammer, I was hoping that you would pop up at a 'Mater meeting with us! Come on down this weekend and join us for Part 2. Some of the neighbors saw us pulling back in on Saturday with the travel trailer and thought that we had been at Rocky Knob, and were thinking about how cold we would have been. Naw, we were just cold and wet at the drag races!

Shhhhh about the bowling! I have to use every angle that I can to get a little advantage! ;)

Murdock.

Like Karl posted, 460. I saw on the noon news that Franklin was flooded again, so a detour up 58 is out of the question this weekend. It was looking kinda bad Sat. when we went thru there. It's a double-edged sword at this point. Guess we're gonna have to toss a coin. I64 to I95 may be the better bet this time. I just don't like the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. It's always the same: "Let's all drive 90mph until we get to the tunnel, then panic, stop, and resume travelling at 25mph" Maybe VDOT should post those big white signs with black numbers, what are they called? This way everyone would know to drive at a constant speed of, oh, say 55mph or so. You would think highway engineers would be able to rate these highways and pass along such important safety information.:rolleyes:

The reason that I asked is that if you could come in to the area from the south of the race track, from Dinwiddie, traffic seems to be somewhat better than from the north, from Petersburg/Richmond. Route 703 cuts across from 95 to 85 into Dinwiddie, then north on 1 to the track. 460 to Petersburg seems to be a more direct route if traffic is not too bad. You might want to get a good Va. map and see what you think.

Murdock.

Karl,

Where were you for 25 yrs? In a time capsule? Most nitro fans can't give it up for that long. What brought you back, besides a somewhat closeby race in Virginia? I too used to live out West, and may have attended that 1981 race at OCIR you mentioned. I know I attended a couple races there, and the last time would have been around that timeframe. I guess they closed the track a few years after that. It was the ultimate place to go in its day!

Seriously... gophered on an alky flop out here for a couple of years in the early, to mid 80's... then it became all about raising three great kids, got into bowling leauge a couple of nights a week, Air Shows, had a few friends running late models at langley, lots of custom car shows, sold alot of House of Kolor paint in the early 90's, PTA meetings, school stuff with the kids, late 90's, got involved with on-line drag racing, SHRA WHRA, ONSCRA, running on line match racing stuff, using Burnout, PCE, then finally NIRA software... watched everything drag racing relatede on the tube I could find... nope, never left the sport, just wasn't active.... knew who was doing what, where almost as soon as it happened....

Hey, Hammer, I was hoping that you would pop up at a 'Mater meeting with us!
Shhhhh about the bowling! I have to use every angle that I can to get a little advantage! ;)

Murdock.

David... whatcha doing talking to someone named Hammer? Yeah, I just might bring my weapons of hate and pin distruction next weekend... real wood or synthic? (is there a house left that has wood decks?);)

David... whatcha doing talking to someone named Hammer? Yeah, I just might bring my weapons of hate and pin distruction next weekend... real wood or synthic? (is there a house left that has wood decks?);)

Oh, yeah, Karl, our 46 year old house here in Danville just got the royal treatment, sanded, refinished, new gutters, new flat gutters, some new pin decks. There is a reason for all of this work; our house has been closed since mid-February. The previous owner let the property go down so bad that the city finally condemned the building. New owners took over in late August and have been thrashing like mad to get the center open. New roof, new plumbing, new paint, new carpet, lot of electrical work, a TON of A-2 machine work, and we are ready to certify on Saturday. Except I'll be in Dinwiddie! Oh, well, there will be plenty of others to take the measurments. I've got more pressing issues!!:D

Murdock.

Thanks Murdock...

Got Scouts this week-end ( Friday Night ) plus I was hoping to catch UVA / Maryland in Charlottesville .Depends on the family and what we are doing Hopefully next year I will work Richmond in .You guys have fun.Back when the NHRA first came there (Dinwiddie ) 1995, I believe , I made the first thee years in a row..Tell John I enjoy the TV series . :D

Does anyone know if 460 is open? I heard Tuesday that it was closed. I'll be dropping my nephew off in Great Bridge Friday morning and would rather avoid the HRBT. Thanks.

Brett

Does anyone know if 460 is open? I heard Tuesday that it was closed. I'll be dropping my nephew off in Great Bridge Friday morning and would rather avoid the HRBT. Thanks.

Brett

Still closed at Ivor according to noon news Thursday, as is 58 near Franklin. Sorry. I feel your pain about HRBT. Expect delays at the exit for Patrick Henry Mall, too.

Brett

Oops. I forgot to mention that you could take I664 off of I64 east. It'll take you thru the Monitor Merrimac tunnel and puts you out at Suffolk/ Western Branch(apologies to you nephew, I know the kids from GB don't like WB). Just watch for construction at Battlefield Blvd exit.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back