Official Lost Wages Comments (1 Viewer)

With conditions 10 to 15 degrees hotter today than the previous 2 days, many of the Fuel cars - and many of the P-S cars - are having a hard time getting down the track. I guess some of the Crew Chiefs left their hot-weather tune-up notes at home this weekend.

Congrats to Tony Stewart on his first win in TA/D. Yes, he is driving a very good race car, but man - for a newcomer - he is really sharp on the tree. Dejoria could really take some lessons from him with her R/T that was several days late in the 2nd Rd of Funny Car.

It was a very good race.
Four wide racing is something else. But, for me anyway, once is enough.
However, The Strip is an amazing facility.
The highlight of the weekend for me was meeting Kenny Youngblood. He was responsible for coming up with the Invader bitch for Glenn Solano’s Invader funny car.
When Youngblood saw my Invader cap he asked how I knew Glenn.
Plus, I met Doug Davenport. He knew Glenn when he (Glenn) raced in California.
Youngblood and Davenport signed my Invader cap.
It’s time to retire the cap.

Tony is the attention NHRA needs right now. Nice infusion of excitement and 'newness' for fans. He mentioned getting better at the tree at the Las Vegas event last year (his first) and he was consistently in the 060's then. He pretty much cut those lights in half this weekend. He's been in two extremely close finals so far, virtually dead heats. Awesome. Just shows that he's a competitor.

Great racing all weekend, very exciting. More downtime during a 4-wide event for sure. Track prep takes longer.

TAD is becoming top fuel like in the amount of cars that can win. Meyer's cars, McPhillips cars, are kept honest by the blown cars of Cowie, Severance, and most recently Vetter. Gordon is tough to be in TAFC, still waiting for an injected nitro entry.

Dejoria needs to do something about those lights. Try deep staging, something. It was interesting to hear Brittany say she started doing better when she stopped thinking about it.

Chad Green 4th in points, wow. Erica 12th wow-er. Cuadra is so close to winning.

Last edited:
It was a very good race.
Four wide racing is something else. But, for me anyway, once is enough.
However, The Strip is an amazing facility.
The highlight of the weekend for me was meeting Kenny Youngblood. He was responsible for coming up with the Invader bitch for Glenn Solano’s Invader funny car.
When Youngblood saw my Invader cap he asked how I knew Glenn.
Plus, I met Doug Davenport. He knew Glenn when he (Glenn) raced in California.
Youngblood and Davenport signed my Invader cap.
It’s time to retire the cap.
So very cool Ted. May the Invader Bitch live on forever!

20230417_075452-jpg.12431

The Invader Bitch hat pin, just 1 of 1,194 drag racing hat pins I have in my collection.

1450800_1432322540322812_19.jpg

AA/FC "The Invader" Look closely the invader bitch on the side of Corvette body
nitro flopper. As the story goes the bitch liked when the kids hung out with her
in the pits, the adultes not so much. Rival funny car team's new to stay away
from the bitch!

Attachments

• 20230417_075452.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 440
Last edited:
As always Jim, I’m amazed by the pictures you manage to find.
I’ve got a total of one hat pin and it’s the Invader bitch. Unfortunately the pin portion fell off. The hat pin is in my safe at home.

As always Jim, I’m amazed by the pictures you manage to find.
I’ve got a total of one hat pin and it’s the Invader bitch. Unfortunately the pin portion fell off. The hat pin is in my safe at home.
It's my 1500 plus magazines, plus the internet. I got the pin 1982 when Mike came to Seattle for a booked in show.
The picture below is the car from 1982 that I saw. I believe that was the last invader flopper ever? If I remember he
only had 3 pins left. I should have bought all 3, it was $2.00. The pin is rare. I've only seen it on eBay once.
10 years ago. It went for $50.00 I keep a log on my pins.

invader_3.jpg

This is the Invader after the body was repaired when it got launched into the Tulsa sky in 2015. We managed to piece it back together.
But, Glenn went with the flat black paint.
fullsizeoutput_818.jpeg

Proud of my former driver Eily Stafford for being asked by Mike Salinas to makes some test passes in Jasmine's TA/D today and earned her license. She posted on her Facebook page it was all spontaneous yesterday when Mike asked her and she said yes. I had to borrow Mike’s fire suit and Jasmine’s spare helmet and gear. The results, was her career best 5.36 at 277 mph and the fastest run of the class all weekend!

Some kids still have dreams.

I saw the Invader Mustang run at then Firebird. Thought it was so cool that an Invader was still running. Well remember the first one.

Have seen Eily driving at the Heritage races. think it's cool she got her T/AD license. Pretty stout pass. 5.36 - 277.

It's my 1500 plus magazines, plus the internet. I got the pin 1982 when Mike came to Seattle for a booked in show.
The picture below is the car from 1982 that I saw. I believe that was the last invader flopper ever? If I remember he
only had 3 pins left. I should have bought all 3, it was $2.00. The pin is rare. I've only seen it on eBay once.
10 years ago. It went for $50.00 I keep a log on my pins.

invader_3.jpg
I loved it when Van Sant ran this car at the 1987 World Finals as a "Buick" (note windshield lettering in my attached picture). I have kind of forgotten exactly what prompted that (maybe Bernstein's Batmobile?), but I think Mike was not too happy with the NHRA and the body rules.

Lyle Greenberg

Attachments

• ScanImage024.jpg
    ScanImage024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Congratulations to Tony on his first TAD win, but I have to salute Todd Bruce, from Horace, ND, driving Clif Bakx owned and tuned "The Bull" from Manitoba, on his Runner-Up finish by .0003. Bruce had low e.t. of eliminations at 5.249

View attachment 12432
Those guys with The Bull made several test runs while I was at the Texas Motorplex for Funny Car Chaos a few weeks back. They worked hard and clearly learned some stuff!

Lyle Greenberg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back