NHRA Vs ADRL.... (2 Viewers)

Surely no one really thinks for a moment that the NHRA would throw away a national event in the country's 6th largest market. Especially not in this economy. They're just trying to throw some muscle around. I'm sure that they see the ADRL as somewhat of a threat to them, albeit a minimal threat at this point. I don't see NHRA ever really thinking long-term, but maybe, just maybe they are watching the growth of the ADRL, and see that it has the chance to become a legitimate competitor, not only for participants and spectators, but maybe even track sanctions if they were to ever go that route. It's growing like mad, and eventually they won't have to give away so many free tickets to fill the stands. I think it's safe to say Seth could run supercharged, 100% nitro powered go-karts and they wouldn't pull that national event with no alternative in the area.

Surely no one really thinks for a moment that the NHRA would throw away a national event in the country's 6th largest market. Especially not in this economy. They're just trying to throw some muscle around. I'm sure that they see the ADRL as somewhat of a threat to them, albeit a minimal threat at this point. I don't see NHRA ever really thinking long-term, but maybe, just maybe they are watching the growth of the ADRL, and see that it has the chance to become a legitimate competitor, not only for participants and spectators, but maybe even track sanctions if they were to ever go that route. It's growing like mad, and eventually they won't have to give away so many free tickets to fill the stands. I think it's safe to say Seth could run supercharged, 100% nitro powered go-karts and they wouldn't pull that national event with no alternative in the area.

How can anyone think a series that gives away FREE Tickets can put a dent in NHRA? And no NHRA won't leave Houston anytime soon, but they can really make things tough for the Angel clan, like a King Kong sized fine? But......HRP is in need of Huge Improvements, and the threat of NHRA pulling that race in '10 should have Seth Scared to death, the reciepts from the NHRA Race dwarf anything they will take in for ADRL.

Last edited:
why does stuff like this even become an issue!!??
if this is an insurance/compliance issue - seems kind of silly for any of
participating parties to not be 'up to speed' with regulations.
who's guilty here? maybe no one is!?

What is amazing is NHRA has known for months about ADRL and their accepted level of nitro.
Why now change things?
The horse is already out of the barn.
TOO LATE NHRA.
Counter sue.

Lee
Nitroclovers

The more I think about this, the more I think it is just another publicity stunt staged by Kenny to gain attention. If you read the story, it merely states that the NHRA is demanding that the ADRL follow its nitro percentage rules for the A/Fuel motored cars. Well, they already are doing that. As soon as the NHRA announced the reduction to 94%, the ADRL immediately reduced their allowable percentage. Therefore, as we sit, there is no problem on this subject. However, it does allow Kenny and the ADRL to look like they are standing up to the big bad NHRA. It also makes it look like Houston is saying that they would choose the ADRL over the NHRA, which would never happen. Gotta give Kenny credit, he is a great marketer and has done a great job generating buzz for the ADRL.

How can anyone think a series that gives away FREE Tickets can put a dent in NHRA? And no NHRA won't leave Houston anytime soon, but they can really make things tough for the Angel clan, like a King Kong sized fine? But......HRP is in need of Huge Improvements, and the threat of NHRA pulling that race in '10 should have Seth Scared to death, the reciepts from the NHRA Race dwarf anything they will take in for ADRL.

You sir are wrong. Seth aint scared. Trust me. And here we go again about the damn "free tickets". It was genious. And you know what? I'd rather pay $500 to go out of town and watch an ADRL race than see an NHRA race. For doorslammer fans, there is not a better show on earth than the ADRL. 2 days of non stop, action packed racing. I guarantee you if the ADRL started charging their ticket prices (a whole whopping $30 for 2 days) they would still pack the place. HRP had more people in it last year for the ADRL than I have ever seen. By 3 they had to shut it down and wouldnt let anybody else in. And if giving free tickets means a whole lot of people came and now love the sport, AWESOME. Also, speaking of HRP, they have made some improvements over the winter. And your wrong on the money also.

why does stuff like this even become an issue!!??
if this is an insurance/compliance issue - seems kind of silly for any of
participating parties to not be 'up to speed' with regulations.
who's guilty here? maybe no one is!?

This is kinda what I was wondering. Does NHRA help there member tracks with insurance, either by using NHRA's name for better rates, or if it's all under one umbrella for a volume discount? Then I could see NHRA's issue (wow, did I just kinda defend NHRA? :eek:).

More rambling thoughts…

Could it be an issue of HRP spending more advertising dollars on the ADRL event then the NHRA nationals? I think that article left me asking more questions then it answered. Sometime’s I think the Agent likes to stir the pot... give us more details... the answers are out there if you take the time to find them.

To me the biggest question I have is whether NHRA is feeling some jealousy towards ADRL, or if NHRA is trying to cover themselves form a legal/insurance standpoint. This article answers neither of those questions.

You sir are wrong. Seth aint scared. Trust me. And here we go again about the damn "free tickets". It was genious. And you know what? I'd rather pay $500 to go out of town and watch an ADRL race than see an NHRA race. For doorslammer fans, there is not a better show on earth than the ADRL. 2 days of non stop, action packed racing. I guarantee you if the ADRL started charging their ticket prices (a whole whopping $30 for 2 days) they would still pack the place. HRP had more people in it last year for the ADRL than I have ever seen. By 3 they had to shut it down and wouldnt let anybody else in. And if giving free tickets means a whole lot of people came and now love the sport, AWESOME. Also, speaking of HRP, they have made some improvements over the winter. And your wrong on the money also.

Justin If it's that easy, then why doesn't Seth just tell NHRA and Graham Light to stick it, and just run 2 ADRL races a year?? Then you won't have to worry about spending your $$$ on an NHRA race since it's no longer there???

Justin If it's that easy, then why doesn't Seth just tell NHRA and Graham Light to stick it, and just run 2 ADRL races a year?? Then you won't have to worry about spending your $$$ on an NHRA race since it's no longer there???

Incase you cant read or comprehend, you might want to read the article on dro again. It pretty much stated Seth told them to piss off that the race was happening no matter the consequences. Now I dont know if this is that big of an issue this year or if its just an advertising deal for the ADRL or what, but I know that I will be there next week watching the greatest 1/8th mile outlaw pro mod show there is and I will love every minute of it.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to picking ADRL over NHRA Joe. But thats also b/c most people that pick NHRA either have no interest unless its nitro tf/fc or they've never been to an ADRL race.

And I'm all in favor of having 2 ADRL races a year here. That'd make my day.

Could it be an issue of HRP spending more advertising dollars on the ADRL event then the NHRA nationals? I think that article left me asking more questions then it answered. Sometime’s I think the Agent likes to stir the pot... give us more details... the answers are out there if you take the time to find them.

Nate, if you have a question for Agent 1320 on this issue you'll find a response box at the bottom of the page: Agent 1320 she doesn't read Nitromater.

The problem with stories like this is that people outside the problem have no insight into what really happened. The story makes it sound like the first communication was almost a "cease and desist" letter from the NHRA's lawyers, filled with threats.

It could well be that someone from NHRA called to have a chat on the subject, and somewhere in that conversation said "you know, if you're running differently than our rules, it makes it tough to sanction the events, for insurance, fairness, and other reasons". And the person on the other end has now characterized this as a "threat", and then issued a press release on it -- showing the "big, bad NHRA at it's worst". :rolleyes:

We just don't/can't really ever know...

Joe .. i guess you need to ask the NHRA heads what bothers them so much about this series.... Last year.. Angel and his crew stated many times that had better profits from the ADRL event than the NHRA event... maybe that bugs them.. or they think that people will go to the ADRL event and not the NHRA. event.. which is way off... i know after the first ADRL event at Rockingham..... it added to the IHRA event that followed... peopl complain about the "FREE TICKET" deal.. but it brings in people that are drag fans and it brings in people that have never seen a drag race.. if you get 1/10th of thsoe newbies to come back to any event at the strip then it pays off for the NHRA.... if they were smart.. even though no one has ever accused them of being that... they would embrase the ADRL for helping their bottom line by bringing new fans to the sport of drag racing... which puts new butts in the seats that might have been empty in todays times....

Bily

Joe .. i guess you need to ask the NHRA heads what bothers them so much about this series.... Last year.. Angel and his crew stated many times that had better profits from the ADRL event than the NHRA event... maybe that bugs them.. or they think that people will go to the ADRL event and not the NHRA. event.. which is way off... i know after the first ADRL event at Rockingham..... it added to the IHRA event that followed... peopl complain about the "FREE TICKET" deal.. but it brings in people that are drag fans and it brings in people that have never seen a drag race.. if you get 1/10th of thsoe newbies to come back to any event at the strip then it pays off for the NHRA.... if they were smart.. even though no one has ever accused them of being that... they would embrase the ADRL for helping their bottom line by bringing new fans to the sport of drag racing... which puts new butts in the seats that might have been empty in todays times....

Bily

Billy, see Post #28!

Incase you cant read or comprehend, you might want to read the article on dro again. It pretty much stated Seth told them to piss off that the race was happening no matter the consequences. Now I dont know if this is that big of an issue this year or if its just an advertising deal for the ADRL or what, but I know that I will be there next week watching the greatest 1/8th mile outlaw pro mod show there is and I will love every minute of it.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to picking ADRL over NHRA Joe. But thats also b/c most people that pick NHRA either have no interest unless its nitro tf/fc or they've never been to an ADRL race.

And I'm all in favor of having 2 ADRL races a year here. That'd make my day.

Maybe Seth may dump NHRA after all after this year?

Your right Justin, that is exactly what I was getting at in my post. Sure, they aren't a big threat to NHRA now, but there will be a time when (if they wanted) they could still pack the stands even charging a modest entry. What if the ADRL start offering their own sanctioning, and give sanctioned tracks an event? I'm sure these are probably things the NHRA, may be looking at if their smart. If folks don't think you could make a comparable profit from an ADRL race (even letting the majority of people in for free), then they obviously have no idea how tracks operate.

At ADRL events, they actually stand to make more money by letting people in free, then they do if they charge at the gate. I know that's a concept that is hard to grasp, but when I was running a track for a while, we actually made more money on the nights we charged the least. Knowing what I know now, I would never charge a gate fee at a racetrack again, and I guarantee you will make more money. I think gate fees are the biggest stumbling block to a track's profitability. People get so hung up on it. Spectators don't like paying it, and most track owners feel like they have to make ALL their money there. The ADRL is doing whatever they can to get as many human beings as you can possibly pack into a place, and that is what makes you exponentially more money in the long run. Those people will spend their money on something, make no mistake about it, whether its concessions, t-shirts, or whatever. Then they tell others about this bad ass free race they went to, then those folks attend the next race, who then tell their friends, etc. etc. etc.

Sure putting on an NHRA event will bring in a ton of money, but the outlay is tremendous, especially in labor, advertising, fees, and insurance. Not to mention the NHRA gets a hefty cut as well. I can see how a track would actually do nearly as well, if not even slightly better with an ADRL race.

I think the closest one is:
The more I think about this, the more I think it is just another publicity stunt staged by Kenny to gain attention. If you read the story, it merely states that the NHRA is demanding that the ADRL follow its nitro percentage rules for the A/Fuel motored cars. Well, they already are doing that. As soon as the NHRA announced the reduction to 94%, the ADRL immediately reduced their allowable percentage. Therefore, as we sit, there is no problem on this subject. However, it does allow Kenny and the ADRL to look like they are standing up to the big bad NHRA. It also makes it look like Houston is saying that they would choose the ADRL over the NHRA, which would never happen. Gotta give Kenny credit, he is a great marketer and has done a great job generating buzz for the ADRL.
If you go to the ADRL rules online, you will see the following:
Registered member said:
FUEL: Alcohol, gasoline, methanol and nitromethane allowed. Nitromethane is not allowed with screw-type supercharger. Maximum percentage of nitromethane allowed in centrifugal or roots-type supercharged engines is 50%. Maximum percentage of nitromethane allowed in injected fuel engines is 94%. Anyone planning on utilizing an injected fuel engine with any percentage of nitromethane must first be approved by the ADRL competition department. To apply call (636) 272-2375 and ask for Bubba Corzine.

Looks to me like the ADRL rules are meet NHRA's, which, when they request to be an ASO, they agree to ALL the rules set forth by NHRA.

The thing I'm trying to digest is how someone who says "We have distributed around a million free tickets to this race." makes a better profit than a group who does charge for their tickets?

The thing I'm trying to digest is how someone who says "We have distributed around a million free tickets to this race." makes a better profit than a group who does charge for their tickets?

They way I see it, it's pure genius. Let 'em in for free and they'll have a few extra bucks for a hot dog, coke, t-shirt, etc. That's where the money can be made....

Besides, this year is gonna be FAST! I wish there was an ADRL event closer to the west coast....

They way I see it, it's pure genius. Let 'em in for free and they'll have a few extra bucks for a hot dog, coke, t-shirt, etc. That's where the money can be made....

Besides, this year is gonna be FAST! I wish there was an ADRL event closer to the west coast....

Heard they also charge a bunch for Parking..

ADRLs Motorcycle Program, is also way better than NHRAs.

interesting thought on this. I suppose great for the david and goliath story but dirty on kenny if you're right on this

Ok, guys here's a business model for you:

Charge $30 to get in, and have 5k fans show up: $150k
Each person comes in and spends $25 on food/drink/tshirt: $125k
Dont charge to park or anything like that. You make $275k.

Now, give away tickets:
40,000 fans show up
Its $10 to park regular or $20 to park in the pits, Lets just say 4 people to a car so $10 x 10,000= $100,000
Now you let them in and lets say they spend $50 per person on stuff b/c they didnt ahve to pay to get in: THATS $2 MILLION.

I think you get the point now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back