NHRA Physical - anyone else having this issue? (1 Viewer)

Big Daddy

Nitro Member
Have a friend in Washington state who had a heart attack and had to get a stent put in.

Well he is all good now and went back to get cleared for his NHRA license and was denied, but not why you think

Here is his post on his FB page
"Discrimination today at St Anthonys cardiology, had to make an appointment to get the cardiologist to sign off for my NHRA license renewal due to the stent I had done in April, he says I'm in great health but will not give me the authorization due to his belief that drag racing is dangerous and he believes NOBODY should do it...
There will be some phone calls in the morning talking about how Franciscan is a 0 tolerance non discriminatory organization since they receive federal assistance..."

Has anyone else ran into drag race hating Doctors out there like this

Yup. Went to re-licence Emmett for his Jr licence a few years ago, and the doctor asked if it was a sports physical, which it was. She asked for what sport and he told her it was for the Junior Drag Racing League (she had all the paperwork as well to sign off on). She did the full exam, including some things I'd never seen in a sports physical before, pronounced him good but then said she wouldn't give her stamp of approval because she felt drag racing was an unsafe practice for a child (he was 16 at the time, and had been racing for 8 years at that point).

I was pissed! I asked to get another opinion, but she was the only M.D. on staff- everyone else was a N.P. and NHRA required a doc to give the ok. We ended up going to another M.D., where he did another full exam and signed off with no reservations.

Yup. Went to re-licence Emmett for his Jr licence a few years ago, and the doctor asked if it was a sports physical, which it was. She asked for what sport and he told her it was for the Junior Drag Racing League (she had all the paperwork as well to sign off on). She did the full exam, including some things I'd never seen in a sports physical before, pronounced him good but then said she wouldn't give her stamp of approval because she felt drag racing was an unsafe practice for a child (he was 16 at the time, and had been racing for 8 years at that point).

I was pissed! I asked to get another opinion, but she was the only M.D. on staff- everyone else was a N.P. and NHRA required a doc to give the ok. We ended up going to another M.D., where he did another full exam and signed off with no reservations.

16?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Wow, I hate these people.

Reminds me of a good friend of mine who had to have a basic checkup for a life insurance application several years ago. During conversation it comes up that he is a fan of NASCAR. Doc submits all the forms as needed, life insurance comes back an denies him,....when he looked into why...evidently in his post exam notes doc felt there was a strong chance this guy could become addicted to alcohol since NASCAR fans tend to be over consumers at times...typical nanny BS.

What the hell is next? When kids get into Boy Scouts and they need a sports physical for summer camp or a two weeks adventure, are they going to deny them that experience based on little Johnny has the possibility of getting hurt hiking or rock climbing? :mad:

What the hell is next? When kids get into Boy Scouts and they need a sports physical for summer camp or a two weeks adventure, are they going to deny them that experience based on little Johnny has the possibility of getting hurt hiking or rock climbing? :mad:
...or a devoutly religious doctor that denies based on the fact that there are no restrictions in Scouting based on sexual orientation.

I have heard of NHRA denying you a license, even if you have a valid physical and doctor's release if you are on blood thinners. Local Super Gas driver went thru that a few years ago.

Simple solution as stated, go to a different doctor.

Rick
The only bad thing about that is now you have to pay for two physicals and I am sure they aren't cheap. It would help if a person knew ahead of time which doc wa the drag race hating doc so you can go to another without wasting yhour time and your money.

the next President we vote for better be one that supports abolishing Obamacare....if you think doctors could have reservations about drag racing, wait until the government holds all the cards to your healthcare

"Drag racing? Isn't that dangerous to you and the environment? And what about those large sodas and pizza? Access denied".....

The only bad thing about that is now you have to pay for two physicals and I am sure they aren't cheap. It would help if a person knew ahead of time which doc wa the drag race hating doc so you can go to another without wasting yhour time and your money.
Exactly what I was thinking. Your insurance company says "Oh well, that was your physical for the year..."

Also be careful that the type of Physical NHRA requires qualifies under your plan as a physical. My experience...when I was looking to get my Private Pilot was that even though I was required to have an FAA medical card....since it was considered a lower class flight physical it did not qualify and I had to pay out of pocket...and it was no more of a routine than the NHRA physical. Ya know...do you know your name, can you see my 3 fingers, can you hear ok, blah blah blah

What is ANNIES LIST.

I think this is about a litigious country like ours and a doctor trying to protect his/her practice from a potential law suit. They'll say it's for numerous reasons, but the main one is fear of a law suit. I don't blame them. It would be like a doctor having to okay you for freeway driving, then you cause a lethal accident, and the lawyers all find out the doctor signed-off on you. Guess who they're going to go after.

The answer is, make a better physical that covers everything, and then not ask the doctor if they think it's okay. Just check the boxes doc.

It would be like a doctor having to okay you for freeway driving, then you cause a lethal accident, and the lawyers all find out the doctor signed-off on you. Guess who they're going to go after.

Yup. The thresholds of the malpractice insurance doctors carry is crazy high (I think it is 1 million minimum in Nevada), so it is relatively easy to get a six figure settlement without ever going to court.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back