Licensing on NHRA prepared tracks (A. Force) (1 Viewer)

Listen - I don't care what track, or tracks, she earned her Fuel Funny Car license on. Nor do I care what day of the week she did it. I don't care who signed off the damn thing either.

And I don't care that she may make some mistakes pedalling the car as she matures as a Funny Car pilot - show me a driver who hasn't made mistakes. Some of the best fuel pilots (Dragster or Funny Car) end up crossing the centerline or brushing the wall every now and then.

And I don't care that her father is who he is and she hasn't had to work her way up from the bottom like others who have gone before her. She's paid her dues in her own way, and most of us wish we could be in her shoes. That's the benefit of being born a Force - good for her.

And lastly, I don't care that some of the other racers don't like the fact that she may be competing in a Funny Car next year. I thought all that silly BS went out after Shirley paved the way, but maybe I'm wrong. Rickie Smith didn't like losing to Erica Enders and I guess (if what I'm hearing on here is accurate), some folks don't want to lose to Ashley in Funny Car.

What I do care about is that when SHE makes the decision to move up to the Floppers, SHE's ready in her own mind - nobody on this board can answer that question, and quite frankly, neither can John. If she feels she's ready and decides to make the move, then I hope she comes out swinging and kicks some ass along the way... If not, then I'll respect her decision and patiently wait till she is ready.

Last edited:
Robert,
re getting a ride, I was trying to make the point that several of the top runners today started with literally nothing. Gary Evans put Whit in the Combis car after Darrell Amberson quit to go back to running his own car. The only money that Whit had was what he had earned as a photographer and the only time that the car brought in any real money (The Winston at Rockingham where Whit qualified and was then bought out of the show to let one of the "stars" in) Combis was there and took the check. That led to Whit and the "Guv" taking the car and going racing themselves with an old dually and a beat up gooseneck trailer. They were definitely the most bucks down team attempting to run national events at the time but they kept at it race after race until they landed the Loctite deal which was still not very much money (but a bunch of product of which I still have some of the excess).
Virgil listed a bunch of other drivers who followed similar scenarios, you just have to want it real bad and give up some creature comforts in most cases.
It is hard to find a fuel team owner that will put a non funded driver in a car nowdays as the costs are astronomical but Larry Dixon, Dave Grubnic and J. R. Todd have all graduated from crewman to shoe by getting out there in some capacity and working hard. It can be done but it takes dedication and sacrifice, there is no free lunch.

Roo Man

Robert,
re getting a ride, I was trying to make the point that several of the top runners today started with literally nothing. Gary Evans put Whit in the Combis car after Darrell Amberson quit to go back to running his own car. The only money that Whit had was what he had earned as a photographer and the only time that the car brought in any real money (The Winston at Rockingham where Whit qualified and was then bought out of the show to let one of the "stars" in) Combis was there and took the check. That led to Whit and the "Guv" taking the car and going racing themselves with an old dually and a beat up gooseneck trailer. They were definitely the most bucks down team attempting to run national events at the time but they kept at it race after race until they landed the Loctite deal which was still not very much money (but a bunch of product of which I still have some of the excess).
Virgil listed a bunch of other drivers who followed similar scenarios, you just have to want it real bad and give up some creature comforts in most cases.
It is hard to find a fuel team owner that will put a non funded driver in a car nowdays as the costs are astronomical but Larry Dixon, Dave Grubnic and J. R. Todd have all graduated from crewman to shoe by getting out there in some capacity and working hard. It can be done but it takes dedication and sacrifice, there is no free lunch.

Roo Man
Sadly Keith I don't think we can do it the old way anymore. Hitting the road with an old dually, gooseneck trailer and a dream.

A lot of the drivers were already in as mechanics. In that respect I guess if you could land a job, any job, with a team that may be one way to get started. Other than that or having some cash I don't have a clue how else a guy could get in.

Sadly Keith I don't think we can do it the old way anymore. Hitting the road with an old dually, gooseneck trailer and a dream.

A lot of the drivers were already in as mechanics. In that respect I guess if you could land a job, any job, with a team that may be one way to get started. Other than that or having some cash I don't have a clue how else a guy could get in.

I attempted to email alot of my heroes and most of my heroes are from the old days of drag racing and the ones that replied siad that working for a team is a great start . Don Garlits exact words was "If you want to have and race a Nitro Funny Car if you have millions of dollars jump right in but since you don't the best thing to do is start working for a team and work your way up".

William...For 200k and a fuel license you can be an instant player.
PM me and I can give you a couple of solid leads for next year.
There are plenty of players who are paying to mash the loud pedal rather than having to finance the entire racing operation.

Oh and a couple of pay to drive pilots are on Virgils list

Jay.....do you remember Garys' son Chad? He mentioned that your father hurt his wrist pretty good w/ the butterfly in that accident. He also said that your mother and father toured the country going to dragstrips?

I do remember Chad. I think he was one of the youngest.

Yeah, my mom didn't go to that race and my dad didn't tell her about the accident. So the next morning he was having trouble tying his shoes and she asked what was wrong. He said, "Oh, I bumped it." She, of course kept digging until he had to tell her. Too funny!!

After they retired and sold their house they went to about 15 races one year. My dad was NEVER a good spectator when he raced but now he loves it. He buys shirts and hats at every event. I am glad to see him enjoy it. Nowadays I usually take hime to the Sonoma event but that is about it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back