Licensing on NHRA prepared tracks (A. Force) (1 Viewer)

TJ

Nitro Member
Has anyone been paying attention to the quick success of Ashley Force on a NHRA prepared tracks?
If you watch the show on A&E you wil notice Dad (John) is scared for her.
She has no idea what it is like to license on a slippery track.
I licensed in a BB/FC @ LACR (Palmdale) on a cold windy day and was not enjoying the car trying to cross lanes but I did limp it down there w/ Gary Densham and Dale Pulde as witnesses and they both signed my license.
Both of those men felt anyone going for a F/C license should make passes on a slippery track.
I did not like the car trying to crash every pass but was reassured that if I ever make it a NHRA prepared track I could practically one-hand the butterfly
steering wheel.
I think she is doing good but know John Force is nervous about putting her in race mode w/ the big boys.
And FORD is all over him to get her in the drivers seat as she would sell alot more Mustangs than Medlen or Hight.
She reminds me a little of the Don Gay jr incidents. He licensed pretty quick and seemed like a player until he went up in smoke, smacked the wall and was knocked out w/ concussion and never returned.....

While that is sorta true, most people when they get there licenses these days do it the day after a national event. I think she will do just fine. Everybody's in the same boat. Its not like she's going to be running anything but an NHRA prepared track anyways. I dont think your going to see her running her car in Backwoods, GA at No Guardrail Raceway.

I guess my point is I am tired of watching these kids being handled w/ baby gloves. Very precious situation to make sure these certain individuals are handled in the most important manner.
Times have changed w/ this sport in regards to paying your dues.
I have been on a plane w/ the Force family and the way they acted towards the crew was ridiculous. They acted like high ranking government officials, except for John, who has had to work hard. The girls haven't a clue of the sweat and stress required to who even payed for their airplane flight.

As Dale Armstrong said "Those cars are not that difficult to make successful as long if you are willing to give it 100% of your time"

I guess my point is I am tired of watching these kids being handled w/ baby gloves. Very precious situation to make sure these certain individuals are handled in the most important manner.
I have been on a plane w/ the Force family and the way they acted towards the crew was ridiculous. They acted like high ranking government officials, except for John, who has had to work hard. The girls haven't a clue of the sweat and stress required to who even payed for their airplane flight.

As Dale Armstrong said "Those cars are not that difficult to make successful as long if you are willing to give it 100% of your time"

Well.... The Force girls have grown up rich. I love the reality show but cringe at their behavior sometimes. However, I have daughters and sometimes cringe at THEIR behavior!! ;)

As for Ashley... Her father is drag racing royalty. He has earned every bit of it and is trying to pass as much on to her as he can. I think she has already proven herself as a driver and now just needs to move up. She does have the luxury of not having to go to marginal tracks and get laps there. She is lucky in that respect but, hey, she is John Force's daughter!!! I think she will do fine in the nitro ranks. She will have the best that money can buy and who could possibly be a better teacher than John Force?

It's hard to tell if dislike for the Forces rules the day
or
amnesia about the gazillion passes Ashley has made on a myriad of track surfaces in S/C & A/F prior to her seat time on Monday-only tracks (which are absolutely not prepped like the prior day) in a F/C.

It's hard to tell if dislike for the Forces rules the day
or
amnesia about the gazillion passes Ashley has made on a myriad of track surfaces in S/C & A/F prior to her seat time on Monday-only tracks (which are absolutely not prepped like the prior day) in a F/C.
I know that an A/F dragster is not the animal that a Nitro Funny car is, but she has raced alot of Divisional Events on marginal tracks. Ashley is very passionate about racing and has it in her heart. B & C don't seem to have the true desire, but Ashley sure does.

Sour Grapes perhaps..........................:eek:

i know what your saying terry, unfortunatly the world of nitro racing has grown smaller with deserving drivers and plentiful with rich ones. it is a cold hard fact. as a kid all i dreamed about was driving a fuel funny car. you always think that if you become a skilled driver that your talents will take you places. unfortunatly talent seems to only be 40% of the requirement now a days. money and lots of it is the major requirement. you have a better chance of landing in a pro seat if you are born into the family or have a rich friend to give you a million dollars to buy a seat in a top notch ride. it sucks but that is the way it is.

Boy you sure gathered alot from being on the same plane as the forces!! Let's see ashley has been driving for 2-3 years I think she is more than capable to handle whatever John put's her in. Last time I checked Robert and Eric both started out in a funny car and they made mistakes also its gonna happen. I guess we just dont see your point holding water. If you watched his show you would know that Courtney and Brittney really could care less if they race. If John wants to spend his money on his kids to race so be it. I wish I could do the same. I just think bashing the family is a little uncalled for we got rid of alot of bashers a while back, no need to start over again!!!!!!!

I've never heard of licensing runs on a slick track. Fact is if the track is slick you shouldn't run. It's called 'staying safe'. I would have to hear Gary Densham say that to believe it.

Boy you sure gathered alot from being on the same plane as the forces!! Let's see ashley has been driving for 2-3 years I think she is more than capable to handle whatever John put's her in. Last time I checked Robert and Eric both started out in a funny car and they made mistakes also its gonna happen. I guess we just dont see your point holding water. If you watched his show you would know that Courtney and Brittney really could care less if they race. If John wants to spend his money on his kids to race so be it. I wish I could do the same. I just think bashing the family is a little uncalled for we got rid of alot of bashers a while back, no need to start over again!!!!!!!
excelletnt post!!!!!! just another team $humacher fan bashing team force- dont worry:D i agree totally with you, eric and robert had NO driving experience before getting into the funny car. i think there doing alright! ashely will do fine, she will have ups and downs like anyone, she grew up around the sport and has been driving for 3 years now. and yes john does look scared, why not, its his little girl in there. any dad would be scared. GO ASHLEY!

Wow...did not expect all of that from everyone. First off I am not a fan of anyone in particular. I have an interest in the mechanical side of blown fuel and alcohol motors along w/ the rest of the combo.
There are a few people here that are in the same boat in regards to the love of the sport and not the people.
If you were to only allow the car owners to only keep one short block in the framerails on Sunday you would not give praise to the current popular tuners.
Those cars are not that difficult to make successful if you always put it on kill.
I have worked on these cars and am always impressed w/ tune-ups that come back clean w/ 15-23% leakdowns.
Its simple to turn the wick up but to have a clean running motor is very difficult.
I am not a basher...just pointing out the other side of things.
Hang around S Pluegers shop he will let you know the truth about the politics of drag racing.
The sport is more consumed w/ looking good to sponsors than to the integrity of the people putting on the show.

BTW....B. Mullins TA/FC were always clean and pretty...

For Robert, licensing is not only to run a certain % of current records it is also to see how you handle yourself out there on unexpected situations.
I had my license signed off w/out running low e.t.'s due to being in control, while never lifting and not hitting anything...like it used to be.
Have you ever seen A. force go up in smoke testing? John would be furious to have his daughter look unproffessional.
I say throw a bunch of weight on the arms and let's see if she has fun or aborts early.

For Robert, licensing is not only to run a certain % of current records it is also to see how you handle yourself out there on unexpected situations.
I had my license signed off w/out running low e.t.'s due to being in control, while never lifting and not hitting anything...like it used to be.
Have you ever seen A. force go up in smoke testing? John would be furious to have his daughter look unproffessional.
I say throw a bunch of weight on the arms and let's see if she has fun or aborts early.

How exactly is smoking the tires being "unprofessional"? If thats the case then all of the pro drivers are socalled "unprofessional". Guess I just missed what you were trying to say there. And by the way, Ashley caught on fire during one test session. And she did an awesome job from what I was told so that gets her my vote. And how are you going to say that AJ, Rahn, Austin, Bernie, Jimmy, Ace, etc etc etc have it easy b/c all they have to do it set it on kill every time. Thats just crazy to say, especially since you know about the cars and tuneups. If they either set the record or blew up every pass then they wouldnt be leading the pts right now and there wouldnt be any people in the stands to see them. And trust me, why do you think the little guys in the sport are known as "leakers" Hint: It isint b/c they make it down the track pass after pass after pass. Though I will say it has gotten alot better in the last year or two. And I know that nobody cares when Force/Shoe/Scelzi/Hight etc blows it up and oils the track trying to run a national record or a big number, but people get pissed when Joe Blow blows up his 4.80 bracket dragster.

I guess I am out numbered by 'FANS' of this sport rather than matters concerning Nitro----hence NITROMATER.
My point is that I would like to see how these offsprings would handle themselves on a loose track.
I would love to have pedal-fest w/ anyone of these offsprings.
Most of these offsprings do not even know if they are over-center w/ the clutch pedal or to put it on the high-side to slip it into reverse if the idle is to high...and that list could get thick. That is why you will see most newbies w/ headset communication devices. So the real mechanics can walk them thru everything.
I worked/tuned a car for ten years before making passes so I knew exactly what was going on.
I have respect for most of these tuners in the regards they do this nonsense year after year but not much as changed on the mechanics side.
And for the leakers...if they did not show up who would your favorite driver compete against.
I always root for the underdog or less qualified car. They need the win more than any of us can realize.
I for one am tired of the same players...its looking like NASCAR...even the new point system.
As for A. Force catching fire that was mis-reported.
They have instructed her to never pedal the car according to K. McCarthy of Johns team due to her not knowing the mechanical aspects of the car, kind of like the girl from Nascar....just my take...now fire away.

I do enjoy the show on A&E...it makes me feel like I am doing a great job raising our children.

Terry, Terry, Terry.....
see, if you say anything other than a compliment about JFR, you are a "hater" and "bashing".
shrug.gif

Experience with any driving situation comes with seat time, not with putting drivers through unsafe conditions. Lets face it, we all have had close calls, and no licensing simulated scenario is going to prepare you for what happens at that instance. Having seat time to know what a "good" pass feels like, and then slowly reeling in to learn exactly where that ragged "edge" is comes with repeated laps... all of which she is doing just fine.

I personally have always erred on the side of caution when moving up the ranks, rather than having that balls-to-the-wall attitude of trying to "prove" something to anyone. I've had a few UN-FUN passes as you've said, and knowing the car got me through them just fine. I don't drive a nitro flopper, but learning something new always involves some learning curves... what benefit does trial-by-fire serve?

i know what your saying terry, unfortunatly the world of nitro racing has grown smaller with deserving drivers and plentiful with rich ones. it is a cold hard fact. as a kid all i dreamed about was driving a fuel funny car. you always think that if you become a skilled driver that your talents will take you places. unfortunatly talent seems to only be 40% of the requirement now a days. money and lots of it is the major requirement. you have a better chance of landing in a pro seat if you are born into the family or have a rich friend to give you a million dollars to buy a seat in a top notch ride. it sucks but that is the way it is.
As they say, money is everthing. Not to mention that total pro rides are probably one of the smallest number in all of motor sports racing except for Fomula 1. Since drag racing doesn't attract much corporate suppport outside of the motor sports venue, you gotta pick up a lot of aluminum cans to play.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back