Licensing on NHRA prepared tracks (A. Force) (1 Viewer)

I guess I am out numbered by 'FANS' of this sport rather than matters concerning Nitro----hence NITROMATER.
My point is that I would like to see how these offsprings would handle themselves on a loose track.
I would love to have pedal-fest w/ anyone of these offsprings.
Most of these offsprings do not even know if they are over-center w/ the clutch pedal or to put it on the high-side to slip it into reverse if the idle is to high...and that list could get thick. That is why you will see most newbies w/ headset communication devices. So the real mechanics can walk them thru everything.
I worked/tuned a car for ten years before making passes so I knew exactly what was going on.
I have respect for most of these tuners in the regards they do this nonsense year after year but not much as changed on the mechanics side.
And for the leakers...if they did not show up who would your favorite driver compete against.
I always root for the underdog or less qualified car. They need the win more than any of us can realize.
I for one am tired of the same players...its looking like NASCAR...even the new point system.
As for A. Force catching fire that was mis-reported.
They have instructed her to never pedal the car according to K. McCarthy of Johns team due to her not knowing the mechanical aspects of the car, kind of like the girl from Nascar....just my take...now fire away.
She's already pedaled a FC!! And pulled it off. Austin told Force "Well you always wanted a boy..she just grew a set!!" (paraphrasing)

That was during testing and I'm not looking it up..don't have time right now.

Don't you think Ashley will know absolutely what she needs to be successful..and KNOW what she's doing? Do you really think John would let Ashley race if she wasn't capable in all aspects?

I don't believe you are disrepecting anybody, Terry. But Ashley is being groomed properly in the art.

("I'm so proud of my son Ashley

John Force was on hand Monday when his daughter Ashley made four test passes in her custom-built Ford Mustang Funny Car. Although the buzz coming out of that session was Ashley's 4.93 at 315 mph -- her quickest and fastest run yet -- that wasn't the pass that impressed her dad.

"She ran a 5.21 the third time down and the car was an animal," Force said. "It started smoking the tires and she pedaled it real quick and when it hooked back up it carried the front end about a foot off the ground for a good long time. That was exciting. That told me she can handle these cars. Anyone can drive them when they go A-to-B on a string. It takes a driver to handle them when things start to go wrong. She handled it. I was pumped.

"Then ol' [crew chief Austin] Coil drove by me and said, 'Well, you've always wanted a boy. Now you have one because she just grew a set.' " )

I guess they did smoke the tires once.

Last edited:
c'mon you guys have all seen how crazy he gets when she is driving

do you think there is even a remote possibility that he would put her in a car if there was a chance she would hurt herself??

i can tell you right now the answer is no, just like it would be for any parent!

Terry,
Tell us how you feel about Morgan Lucas' introduction to the sport? Same criticism? How about Rod Fuller? I could go on with Brandon Bernstein, J.R. Todd, Eric Medlen, Robert Hight, Hillary Will, etc for a while but it seems you either forgot them or chose not to be so concerned for their introductions to the nitro seats? Or you saying that because she's not been a mechanic for decades, she's at a complete disadvantage? I'm confused.

I'll be interested to know if you have the same concerns for so many others upon their step into the Nitro Ranks on NHRA top shelf tracks?

I think John clearly has a concern for her safety but disagree it's at the expense of performance and I thoroughly disagree with the philosophy that you need to be on marginal tracks to license? Firstly it's nearly impossible to achieve the speed/e.t. necessary to obtain a fuel license and secondly (and more importantly) who in the heck would risk their own kid's safety at those speeds for the purpose of training? They'll get enough practice on the tracks prepped for national events when the crew chiefs prep their cars for the top qualifying performances, lane choices, round wins. They all do!

Terry, I understand the point your trying to make. T.J. cut his teeth racing a TAD on tracks like Union Grove, Martin, Cordova and Kil Kare at 9pm-12am, in the cold, dew coming in and bad lighting. But we weren't in any hurry to license him at those tracks when it came to the nitro car.

He'll be the first to tell you that was a very valuable experience to have when he started driving a top fuel dragster. He'll also tell you the nitro car poses some problems that you could not have learned about driving a TAD, but he still couldn't imagine making the step without the alky experience.

To John's credit, he has brought Ashley along slowly in the nitro car. I still say the TAFC would've been a much better test than the a/fuel dragster. Someday we'll see if the proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:
Bobby....you mentioned alot of young drivers in your last post on this subject and w/ the exception of H. Will, all of those drivers paid their dues wrenching and getting to know the mechanics side of the car.

H.Will had her licensed yanked from her after she passed Vandergriff in the other lane and w/ the help of her finance dept (K.Black) they (R. Alley/NHRA) gave it back to her and have kept a close eye on her.
I know a few pilots who are very concerned about running next to her.

I have respect for everyone who smacks the loud pedal I was just curious to the response on this subject.
And once again I will defend myself in saying "I think she is average on an A+ prepared track" but put her up against a crafty independent on a track like Union Grove Raceway and my money is on the independent every time.

Tell us how you feel about Morgan Lucas' introduction to the sport? Same criticism? How about Rod Fuller? I could go on with Brandon Bernstein, J.R. Todd, Eric Medlen, Robert Hight, Hillary Will, etc

How about Del Worsham. Wasn't his first ride ever in a race car a Fuel FC?

Charles....once again you are mentioning pilots that can build an entire fuel car w/out any assistance.

Wow...Force really has alot of FAN support, I don't get it.

And let's not forget Whit (how many ways can you crash and burn) Blazemore...
I understand the only concern left with Ashley is having a car in the other lane... the added 'Distraction' as it were... sorry I missed Monday testing at Richmond, understood they were going to work on that...

Now, what I want to see, is the first time she lines up against Papa John, she puts the Gate Job from He** on him... or he bulbs against her... man, his 'lil girl is gonna mess with his mind...:D and not even try to do it:eek:

For Robert, licensing is not only to run a certain % of current records it is also to see how you handle yourself out there on unexpected situations.
I had my license signed off w/out running low e.t.'s due to being in control, while never lifting and not hitting anything...like it used to be.
Have you ever seen A. force go up in smoke testing? John would be furious to have his daughter look unproffessional.
I say throw a bunch of weight on the arms and let's see if she has fun or aborts early.

What the heck you talking about? I don't know what kind of license you're talking about. Maybe Go Cart.

NHRA wants progressively faster (MPH) and quicker (ET) runs at various distances. THEY ALSO WANT CLEAN RUNS. Nobody in their right mind wants to see someone in trouble or run on a slick track.

I can't even imagine where you came up with this. Maybe in a dream. I'll tell you one thing, you're offending our intelligence.

Here's an update:

There are a few simple steps to obtaining an NHRA competitions license: First, you will need an NHRA physical examination. Family doctors or walk-in clinics can provide this. Secondly, you must pass a blindfold test in your race car- knowing where all controls and switches are without looking for them. Finally, you will need to make a total of six runs and have those runs witnessed by two drivers who are currently licensed in the class for which you are applying (or a faster class). During the session, a new driver is required to make one half-pass and three moderate runs. Then two full runs are required. All full runs must produce ET's representative of the category applied for. Original time slips from all six runs must be attached to the license application. All test runs must be single (non competition) runs. Further details on the NHRA licensing procedure are printed on the NHRA license application.

How do you comply with the last two runs while skating around the track? Last but not least, you do not have a license. You could not have provided the time slips required by the NHRA because you said they were slow runs.

I hate bullsh-t!

Last edited:
What the heck you talking about? I don't know what kind of license you're talking about. Maybe Go Cart.

NHRA wants progressively faster (MPH) and quicker (ET) runs at various distances. THEY ALSO WANT CLEAN RUNS. Nobody in their right mind wants to see someone in trouble or run on a slick track.

I can't even imagine where you came up with this. Maybe in a dream. I'll tell you one thing, you're offending our intelligence.

Here's an update:

There are a few simple steps to obtaining an NHRA competitions license: First, you will need an NHRA physical examination. Family doctors or walk-in clinics can provide this. Secondly, you must pass a blindfold test in your race car- knowing where all controls and switches are without looking for them. Finally, you will need to make a total of six runs and have those runs witnessed by two drivers who are currently licensed in the class for which you are applying (or a faster class). During the session, a new driver is required to make one half-pass and three moderate runs. Then two full runs are required. All full runs must produce ET's representative of the category applied for. Original time slips from all six runs must be attached to the license application. All test runs must be single (non competition) runs. Further details on the NHRA licensing procedure are printed on the NHRA license application.

How do you comply with the last two runs while skating around the track? Last but not least, you do not have a license. You could not have provided the time slips required by the NHRA because you said they were slow runs.

I hate bullsh-t!

Thank you !! To get a licence you MUST run within a certin % of the national record in ET.. (not sure how close you must be)

Here's an update:

I hate bullsh-t!

Most of what you wrote is incorrect for license upgrades. What you are talking about is for those with no current license. Unless the rules have changed recently all you need to do is have a current physical (within the last year) and make two or three runs the last two of which are some percentage of the current record times. There is no requirement you go straight, don't smoke the tires etc. The people signing your license are the ones who evaluate whether your car control during these passes is sufficient.

Thank you !! To get a licence you MUST run within a certin % of the national record in ET.. (not sure how close you must be)

One of the most rediculous posts I've ever read John. Like I said, I hate bullsh-t.

I'm running at Bradenton. 5 day event starts tomorrow. I know you'll be at Englishtown. Good luck to ya.

Most of what you wrote is incorrect for license upgrades. What you are talking about is for those with no current license. Unless the rules have changed recently all you need to do is have a current physical (within the last year) and make two or three runs the last two of which are some percentage of the current record times. There is no requirement you go straight, don't smoke the tires etc. The people signing your license are the ones who evaluate whether your car control during these passes is sufficient.

Ron, where was an upgrade mentioned? Damn, I posted the requirements for a license. You say I'm incorrect. You need to contact the NHRA. I did a cut and paste of the requirements. How do you not go straight or sit there spinning and meet the ET requirement?

Last edited:

For some reason 5.10 stick in my mind for a flopper ticket right now... which is about 10% over the national record... but I also thought last winter, someone cross rated with a 5.2...

Bobby....you mentioned alot of young drivers in your last post on this subject and w/ the exception of H. Will, all of those drivers paid their dues wrenching and getting to know the mechanics side of the car.

. . . and so, the debate continues . . .

. . . I'll conceed to your expertise. In fact, if and when my two sons that drive our funny cars now decide to upgrade to Top Fuel Funny, I'll be sure to take them to Palmdale for the correct and proper initiation. It's OK though, since they both "paid their dues" by building and tuning everything they drive, they'll be perfectly safe at 300 there.

I'm going out to agrue with my dog where at least I can come away with a tie.

The requirement to make a pair of representative runs (as spelled out in the rule book) is definitely still in force. I was at ORP at I (the track formerly known as Indianapolis Raceway Park, and don't get me started on that subject) while Jack Backman was doing his crossover runs. He got a good one in on the first shot on Saturday but then got loose on the next couple of attempts so Todd and the boys had to come back on Sunday and make that final quick run. Note that this was for a guy with recent national event T/F seat time.
Have no doubt that Ashley is capable of drivng a funny car either. At the pre U.S. Nationals test she carded a 4.8 lap and the car was definitley not going straight down the middle of the lane. I was standing right behind it and she used up a considerable portion of the lane.
More stuff---Eric Medlen had made a number of laps in Ben Marshall's A/FD before he sat his arse in one of John's cars.
--Ashley gets it. She knows that she is a member of the "Lucky Sperm Club" but she is the real deal. At the Indy test she was hanging out with the rest of the younger fuel racers and crew guys--she is just like one of the boys but she looks waaay better.
--If Coil is impressed with Ashley's driving ability (see Vegas quote) so should everyone else be.
--- Sure John is paranoid about Ashley's safety ( just like any other dad would be). His take on the whole deal is that he is very lucky to have survived his early years in a flopper and that he will do everything in his power to look after his little girl. And that comes directly from the man himself.
---As for the comments about the NHRA pulling Hillary Will's ticket to drive, is this fact or another of those "I know someone who knows someone that heard this" story. I don't seem to remember even the most ardent rumour mongers spreading this one around in the real world.

Roo Man

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back