A$$CAR sponsors coming to Charlotte? (1 Viewer)

NHRAMike

Nitro Member
During a conversation I was having with a co-worker today, he had mentioned that he heard a rumor that Bruton Smith was going to be inviting some of the A$$CAR sponsors to the NHRA event at his new track in Charlotte. Has anyone else heard something about this? (this seems to go hand in hand with the other Bruton Smith stories elsewhere)

During a conversation I was having with a co-worker today, he had mentioned that he heard a rumor that Bruton Smith was going to be inviting some of the A$$CAR sponsors to the NHRA event at his new track in Charlotte. Has anyone else heard something about this? (this seems to go hand in hand with the other Bruton Smith stories elsewhere)

If so... I'll be there too!;)

Why should they bother, when NHRA fans call the other cars they sponsor A$$CAR? (or NASCRAP)

You don't invite someone into your house, and then PI$$ on their shoes at the front door.

Well, I don't anyway.

From DRO's Burk's Blast:

Also, during a recent press conference in Charlotte the SMI management team let it be known that the press conference coming to announce the official opening of the new Charlotte dragstrip would include representatives of almost all of the NASCAR teams and their sponsors. I have asked myself why SMI would make a full-court press to get the NASCAR teams and sponsors to that kind of function. Perhaps to announce a new opportunity for those race teams and sponsors? What better group to announce the new NHRA in front of? What a way to kick off the NHRA second-half season!

Totally right.

You really think the sponsors care what a certain group of people think of the sport? I highly doubt it. They are still getting the publicity for their company, whether it be good or bad. You arent bad mouthing the sponsors' products just the sport that some dont like and the sponsors know before they sign a deal that some people may not be interested in the sport.

I say welcome the sponsors to Charlotte. NHRA drivers could use all the sponsorship help they can and hopefully it will help to bring new blood back to the sport.

stopped briefly yesterday to say hi to crew of dave connolly's;
they were displaying up here in duluth.........fella' i was talking to
said the team can't wait for the charlotte race........
i think there's a lot of weight riding on that event; definitely THE
time for racers and sanctioning body to put their best foot forward.
wish i could be there.

Why should they bother, when NHRA fans call the other cars they sponsor A$$CAR? (or NASCRAP)

You don't invite someone into your house, and then PI$$ on their shoes at the front door.

Well, I don't anyway.
Very well said Greg, I read the title of this thread and thought to myself, this sounds like it was written by a 12 year old..................:rolleyes:

You really think the sponsors care what a certain group of people think of the sport? I highly doubt it. They are still getting the publicity for their company, whether it be good or bad. You arent bad mouthing the sponsors' products just the sport that some dont like and the sponsors know before they sign a deal that some people may not be interested in the sport.

When the group of people are the fans of the sport they're looking into, I'd say it'd be likely Garnering publicity for their product is far different than the potential customer going out and actually purchasing the product, which is the ultimate goal of a sponsorship. In this economy, and with the difficulty of getting a sponsor to begin with, any red flag is another deterrent for a company to spend their money elsewhere - maybe NASCAR, maybe not at all. I have no problem with the opinion, I think alot of things suck. But, there's a difference in being not interested in something, and being completely over negative about it. You don't think any potential major sponsor doesn't put out all their feelers on what they're going to put they're money into? I would be damn certain those people have interns and minions to do the research, which, beyond market research would probably include a thorough scouring of the internet. Fans are the ultimate representatives of any sport. And while it's a terrible stereotype, brawling European soccer fans come to mind. I'd like to think that NHRA fans hold themselves to a higher level of intelligence and respect than this.

I think Bruton Smith has elevated NHRA to a new level, that being said I do NOT want to see him purchase NHRA! Randy Goodwin posted an excellent post on another thread stating that just about every sportsman level of Drag racing could dissappear should BS take over the NHRA. Bruton is a business man first, and anything not showing any kind of profit would be subject to elimination.

Does that mean I'm happy with the Compton/Light fiasco? Hell No, but I think there are people currently within NHRA who could do a much better job representing all levels of this sport and yet do a MUCH better job marketing it as well!:rolleyes:

If Bruton is bringing NASCAR sponsors to an event, it is to line HIS pockets NOT NHRAs or their teams. O Bruton is a business man FIRST AND FOREMOST ... and he is just working his contacts from the NASCAR side of the fence to get track and event sponsorships. The ZMax deal come right out of his own pocket ... so you can bet he will replace it with a paying sponsor ASAP. Smart move by Bruton, bring them out to the inaugural event, let everyone tell them how it is the future of drag racing, let them see the big crowd and sign them on the line that is dotted for next year. I expect to see something like this:

Lowe's Carolina Dragstrip at Charlotte Motor Speedway
-or-
Office Depot Carolina Nationals
-or-
Bank of America presents the NHRA Carolina Nationals

or something of the like ....

It will still be good for NHRA by proxy, as they would be potential sponsors that would not be at an NHRA event otherwise.

If Bruton is bringing NASCAR sponsors to an event, it is to line HIS pockets NOT NHRAs or their teams. O Bruton is a business man FIRST AND FOREMOST ...

We have a winner..... sort of....lol.... IF Bruton is interested in buying the NHRA.. the best way to scope out for potential PROFITS is to get sponsors lined up first.... Envite them out.. impress them.. and ask.. if we had control of this circus.. would you like to be part of it?..... if you get alot of yes'... you buy it and run......

The one thing that concnerns me.. is what i have been told by some of the Company reps when talked to about sponsorships... Several companys don't agree with the numbers given out on attendance and ratings and the limited amount of actual growth.... what is needed by a top team doesn't fit the companys peramiters.... ( Which might also explain why Bruton has stated that he didn't feel the price was right as offered to him... ..so to speak)

but the up side... for the sportsman racers.. some companys feel that the money needed by a Sportsman team is decent for exposure to the Attending crowd at all NHRA events....basicly sportsman teams that represent themselves well at the track in aperance and performance..might pick up a few much needed funds..

Re: NASCAR sponsors coming to Charlotte?

Bruton is a business man. If he buys the NHRA, he wants it healthy. He knows that it is the sponsor dollars that make NASCAR what it is. And all of us know that the best way to win a fan over to NHRA drag racing is to get them to a live event. It looks like he is bringing the boys with the $$$ to do just that.

Do I think he will probably turn an NHRA national event into a pro only weekend? A really good possibility. But if you look at the trickle down effect in NASCAR, the nationwide series does very well with ownership, sponsorship and support from the big show. Maybe this is a way for the sportsman racers to get their own show without being the stepchildren they have been for ages. I am not saying I am in 100% support, but he will go forward. That is for sure. And when forward is spoken, there are benefits and downsides. To think that anything goes forward without downsides is absolutely insane. The cry around here has been bigger and better for many moons. Time to see what that will entail.

If Bruton is bringing NASCAR sponsors to an event, it is to line HIS pockets NOT NHRAs or their teams. O Bruton is a business man FIRST AND FOREMOST ... and he is just working his contacts from the NASCAR side of the fence to get track and event sponsorships. The ZMax deal come right out of his own pocket ... so you can bet he will replace it with a paying sponsor ASAP. Smart move by Bruton, bring them out to the inaugural event, let everyone tell them how it is the future of drag racing, let them see the big crowd and sign them on the line that is dotted for next year. I expect to see something like this:

Lowe's Carolina Dragstrip at Charlotte Motor Speedway
-or-
Office Depot Carolina Nationals
-or-
Bank of America presents the NHRA Carolina Nationals

or something of the like ....

It will still be good for NHRA by proxy, as they would be potential sponsors that would not be at an NHRA event otherwise.

I was wondering after the big contest to name the drag strip why they settled on zmax,but after learning a little about zmax I understand now. I'll still take Indy's old school vibe over the corporate deal.

Define "Sponsor representative", if the car chief from the 9 is there does that count as a Budweiser rep? I know many NASCAR guys that will be there because it's in their back yard. Just as fans go to the race when it's in your hometown so will these guys. I have friends at Evernham that come to the Bristol race and will be at Charlotte, because it's handy.

Alan

Re: NASCAR sponsors coming to Charlotte?

Bruton is a business man. If he buys the NHRA, he wants it healthy. He knows that it is the sponsor dollars that make NASCAR what it is. And all of us know that the best way to win a fan over to NHRA drag racing is to get them to a live event. It looks like he is bringing the boys with the $$$ to do just that.

Do I think he will probably turn an NHRA national event into a pro only weekend? A really good possibility. But if you look at the trickle down effect in NASCAR, the nationwide series does very well with ownership, sponsorship and support from the big show. Maybe this is a way for the sportsman racers to get their own show without being the stepchildren they have been for ages. I am not saying I am in 100% support, but he will go forward. That is for sure. And when forward is spoken, there are benefits and downsides. To think that anything goes forward without downsides is absolutely insane. The cry around here has been bigger and better for many moons. Time to see what that will entail.

I agree with Buzz, I think it would be the best thing to ever happen to the NHRA if Bruton were to purchase it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back