NHRA not prepping tracks? (1 Viewer)

Right there says it all!

The NHRA "gurus" think the same prepping operations will net the same results at every track... and that is B.S.!

We've seen time and time again at Las Vegas... NHRA preps the track and you could go ice skating, the LVMS crew works their magic and you could turn the earth.

That is funny you say that . I worked a national even recently at the line . It was funny to hear you need to do it like this or that .It was way off of the usual track prep . Funny thing is these guys do it a few times a month we do it 3 days a week every week . The track was better at our test and tune before the national .

Has anyone herd that NHRA is not prepping tracks or maybe just not as good or using the wrong compound? And they know what they are doing like they do not want they track to be too good. I have been helping a guy with a car and he knows a few people on pro teams thats what he has been told. The word lawsuit has even been brought up. Thanks in advance.

NHRA is prepping the track. Problem is that when they see trouble with one lane they could fix it but they don't.

I get tired of watching these events when you can predict the winner by the lane he's running in.

We belive that the VHT application at the Seattle National Open in April caused our crash. The NHRA guy wanted to inspect our car right after the crash. Jeff said fine. Then Jeff asked whats all this &@%& on the tire? The NHRA official turned around and walked away. I have never had a car jump in the other lane like that before it was like driving on ice.

That is funny you say that . I worked a national even recently at the line . It was funny to hear you need to do it like this or that .It was way off of the usual track prep . Funny thing is these guys do it a few times a month we do it 3 days a week every week . The track was better at our test and tune before the national .

Was this event NHRA or IHRA?

It is not about how much traction there is or is not, it is about having the lanes EVEN. If everybody has to deal with a slick track then thats fine because it is EVEN for everybody. Seems to be a reoccouring theme here....

Why is it so important now and not as much much as before? Simple, the amount of $$$$ involved. Also the fact that everybody is touting the need for the "show" then if you have a one lane track, where is the show?

The reality is that tracks do change during a race. That is no big deal it is just part of racing. BUT when you have a track that obviously is developing a one lane race then something needs to be done. As of now NHRA has not done it. Best example is our biggest race of the year, INDY. Sad, so sad what happened and they did nothing.

By the way in case there is a question I have been involved with track prep...

jim

Bobby, I find this Jim Head quote, from your CompPlus article, interesting.

Head admits his comments might not appeal to his tuning comrades, but can’t help but think the racers should shoulder some of the blame.

“Most pedal-fests are created by pedal-fest tuners,” Head said. “I smoke the tires because I smoke the tires usually. It’s really rare when that track makes me smoke the tires. It’s a drag race; we are all trying to run 0 to 390. Some tracks won’t allow you to run 390.”

The Chicago and Englishtown scenarios produced equal results for both lanes.

“I am distraught when the media or anyone talks about differences in lanes,” Head said. “If they gave lane choice to the slower car you would see fast cars still win in the lane not of choice. The reason there is an issue in the first round is all the fast cars take one lane or the other. Fast cars usually beat slow cars.

“It offends me when people talk about race tracks they can’t get down. If I thought there was a chance during a weekend that I would get put in a lane that I couldn’t get down, I wouldn’t do this. Why would I come out here and spend my money if I thought the NHRA would put me on a surface that I couldn’t do anything with.”

Add Jim Head to my previously mentioned list of racers who don't (or didn't) gripe too much about conditions.

You qualify better, you get the better lane (if there is one) first round. You run better first round than your next round opponent did, you get to chose lanes. Maybe one's better, maybe not. But it is what it is.

Ya plays with the hand you're dealt, and adjust accordingly. Some are better than others at doing this.

I agree that the money involved, and sponsor expectations, is driving this issue. These cars have to be set up on the ragged edge, and it's too easy to go over center on the tune-up. I do agree with Head that this is more of a tuning problem than a track prep problem. Having said that, believe me when I say I'm no big fan of the way NHRA does some things.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! ;)

Ok from the stand point of making big power tracks can always be better if they aren’t build power somewhere else in the track but Cody I want to see the DRA launch in Kennedale I know in my fuel altered I have just about ate the wall more times on that track than on any other one and trust me the switch between concrete to asphalt there’s a little bump to it but as long as you hit it right you will bounce away from the wall. I have a video of me running in the grass by the wall from the lack of vht what’s worse was that was the tracks biggest race BHRA. For sticky track around dallas/ fort worth I would go to Denton; the new owner this year has a car and will do whatever it takes to get the fast cars down the track, as in, not my fuel altered, but one of the other guys running a 3.7 at 203 this past weekend but then again no tracks perfect you just got to use more clutch and lean on the fuel curve in different places.

Chris, you drive a fuel altered. They wouldn't go straight if you towed them down the track. I work the starting line @ Kennedale on fridays and I was working that night. Seems other cars had no problems that night. I also drive a dragster there every Saturday night. I ripped off (4) 4.56's @ 151 mph in a row last Saturday with no problems nor do I have any problems every Saturday night. Please show me this bump your talking about some night so we can address it and fix it.
And just for the record we don't use VHT. We use " LC6 " made by V.P. and I garuantee you there was more put down that night than any other night this year.

Sorry to hijack the thread momentarily.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back