NHRA not prepping tracks? (1 Viewer)

Jay

Nitro Member
Has anyone herd that NHRA is not prepping tracks or maybe just not as good or using the wrong compound? And they know what they are doing like they do not want they track to be too good. I have been helping a guy with a car and he knows a few people on pro teams thats what he has been told. The word lawsuit has even been brought up. Thanks in advance.

Talks like that have been around all year. They really came up during the race at Joliet. There was lots of discussion on this board about it.

Connie Kalitta addressed this in his talk with Bobby Bennet. I can't find the story, but it had something to do with the track prep person from last year using too much VHT. The new one is using the proper amount. It has helped with the tire chunking issue since they have read the directions!

I don't recall Garlits, or Shirley, or Kalitta, or Snake, or any other hardcore racer in the past ever b/chtin' about track prep, quick trees, bad clocks, "level playing field" (whatever that means...) or anything else. Not sayin' it never happened, but when they lost, or didn't qualify well, they took responsibility for the outcome. And marched on.

Ya qualify well, ya get lane choice first round. Alternating lanes during quals. Everybody gets shots in both lanes. Qualify better, you get the better lane. Doesn't automatically guarantee a win first round. Run good, you win. Run badly, you lose. Pretty damn simple. Like the sport itself.

Just tired of all the complaining, I guess. Both from some of todays fans, and even a few of todays racers.

Sometimes, things aren't fair. Sometimes things aren't the way you would like them to be.

Life itself ain't fair. Never has been, never will be.

Sorry for the rant.

Flame away... :D

Bravo Scott...............................I tell my kid that all the time!

Suzie's explanation makes a lot of sense too, thanks.

The new Director of Fuel racing has been stingy with the glue all year. I believe they reduced it because of the tire issues, but the tracks were a lot stickier last year. Just my $.02.

The track in Kennedale, TX voted by DRA (DRag Racer's Association) has the best starting line in the country.

And how do you sue somebody for the track not being prepped good. It's either you make your adjustments or you just dont make that race next year!!

At Joliet this year it was very Warm around 85-90. Saturday's Early Pro session it was a Smokefest, Sunday's First round it was just as Hot yet most cars got down the track. A Top 5 FC driver told me that Rt. 66 track crews prepped the Track Sunday morning. With Dallas coming up it's suppose to be around 90 degrees all 3 days! Let's see if it's a Friday night qualifying weekend again!

Isn't that track all concrete...........
I thinkit is and will probably hold up better to heat than the asphalt :)

If you mean the 'Plex, yeah, it's all concrete.

If I'm not mistaken, the Motorplex was the first (and maybe only?) track to be poured in one unbroken slab. It represented quite the design problem back in the early 80's.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember something about that as well..."post tension" cables or something like that

...that Rt. 66 track crews prepped the Track Sunday morning. ...
Right there says it all!

The NHRA "gurus" think the same prepping operations will net the same results at every track... and that is B.S.!

We've seen time and time again at Las Vegas... NHRA preps the track and you could go ice skating, the LVMS crew works their magic and you could turn the earth.

Ok from the stand point of making big power tracks can always be better if they aren’t build power somewhere else in the track but Cody I want to see the DRA launch in Kennedale I know in my fuel altered I have just about ate the wall more times on that track than on any other one and trust me the switch between concrete to asphalt there’s a little bump to it but as long as you hit it right you will bounce away from the wall. I have a video of me running in the grass by the wall from the lack of vht what’s worse was that was the tracks biggest race BHRA. For sticky track around dallas/ fort worth I would go to Denton; the new owner this year has a car and will do whatever it takes to get the fast cars down the track, as in, not my fuel altered, but one of the other guys running a 3.7 at 203 this past weekend but then again no tracks perfect you just got to use more clutch and lean on the fuel curve in different places.

and no cody i aint taking a shoot at you weather so far has been really good here about 20 mins from ennis just hopefully it aint as freaking humid as it was today this weekend well see yall at the track

If you mean the 'Plex, yeah, it's all concrete.

If I'm not mistaken, the Motorplex was the first (and maybe only?) track to be poured in one unbroken slab. It represented quite the design problem back in the early 80's.

I believe Thunder Valley here in Oklahoma is also a continuous pour. Didn't Denton do that also when they re-surfaced 4 or 5 years ago?

Now that you mention it, I think I remember something about that as well..."post tension" cables or something like that

Tensioned cables in concrete make it much stronger. Concrete piles can be driven 100' or more into the ground using that method. I'm sure it makes for a better racetrack.

Right there says it all!

The NHRA "gurus" think the same prepping operations will net the same results at every track... and that is B.S.!

We've seen time and time again at Las Vegas... NHRA preps the track and you could go ice skating, the LVMS crew works their magic and you could turn the earth.

NHRA vs local crews controversy appeared at LVMS a couple of years ago.
There are two issues in place here. 1. LVMS crew uses only used drag slicks to drag the track with the "Gannon" - I've heard that other tracks use whatever used tire is available. Some knowlegable racers think this may make a difference. 2. Mixing and storing traction compound. This stuff is thinned with alcohol and I have heard that some ugly things can happen if a premixed barrel is allowed to sit (clogged nozzles and pumps, uneven application). Should NHRA personnel consult with local track crews who provide consistent tracion throughout a season? Yes.
Is this ever going to happen? Probably not!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back