New Rules Pertaining to Crossing the Center Line (1 Viewer)

26 years ago this coming race, first car over 300mph to the 1/4. now cars are doing that in the 1/8.......you think some racers mite hit the wall?, cross the centerline?, hit their opponent and/or their wall too?......ummm, yeah, it's gonna' happen. ch*ts gonna' blow up, oil is going to go everywhere, parts will fly thru the air, foam blocks will need to be cleaned up......same width track. cars same speed in half the distance. something's got to give......so i'm not really up on round points. does a win with a centerline cross between 1000' and 1320' (deduct 5, 10, or 15 points) still net more points than lifting and losing the round?.....the centerline should be considered a wall. all the way to 1320'. touch it and you're done. period. you get no time if in Q. you lose on sunday.

each round is 20 points, But you are DQ'd so it does not matter.

I can't believe the NHRA changed rules that could negatively affect John Force. The header angle rule was changed basically for him so he could keep it in his lane. TJjr. was right on that too.

I also have never understood the center-line rule that you can be DQ'd for hitting a cone but not crossing the line, but are fine with 2 or 3 feet of the car over the line as long as the tire doesn't go completely over the line. Make it consistent: anything goes over the line and it's a DQ.
Agree with this theory Brent. Top Fuel would be fairly easy since the 4 tires are likely the only thing that can cross the boundary. However, you could never rely on human vision to confirm that level of detail like the header slightly over the line, or the rear quarter on a funny car body by a few inches. You would definitely need some reliable technology to look straight down the line at (let's say) a foot off the ground.

Someone referenced treating the line like a wall, touch it and your out.

All these fines with oil downs and now this youd think they would increase the purse LOL

Agree with this theory Brent. Top Fuel would be fairly easy since the 4 tires are likely the only thing that can cross the boundary. However, you could never rely on human vision to confirm that level of detail like the header slightly over the line, or the rear quarter on a funny car body by a few inches. You would definitely need some reliable technology to look straight down the line at (let's say) a foot off the ground.

Someone referenced treating the line like a wall, touch it and your out.

center wall...............could be a short wall

Who was it that got hit on the return road by a car coming off the track, Eddie Hill?

Yes. Gordon Mineo hit the front of Eddie Hill's nuclear bananna and his tow back to the pits car in 1993 at National Trail. Gordon's car somehow got fuel back into the system and took off again similar to what happened to Melanie Troxell's deal at the finals a few years back

Yes. Gordon Mineo hit the front of Eddie Hill's nuclear bananna and his tow back to the pits car in 1993 at National Trail. Gordon's car somehow got fuel back into the system and took off again similar to what happened to Melanie Troxell's deal at the finals a few years back
I was there when that happened,i remember seeing eddie hill and some of his crew on brice rd at bob evans after the incident,think fuzzy carter was injured then

So what if the track DID have a wall instead of the centerline stripe? Could be concrete like the outer walls are now & would run all the way to 1/4 mile. Yeah, $$ to build it, but....

A wall in between would double track prep time and likely any incident would turn into a nasty brain rattling pinball machine ride I wouldn't want to be on.

I don't know the actual answer to this question, but look at it this way. How many cars do you see cross the centerline vs hitting the wall? Don't you think a driver is willing to take a bigger risk that they might catch it with knowing they have a full lane next to them and maybe just maybe they might miss the line and that foam block? Now put that same driver going out of the groove the other way towards the wall.. they are lifting a whole lot quicker because that wall doesn't move nor is it a little foam block. You can at least make them think twice about "going for it" with penalties like these.

A wall in between would double track prep time and likely any incident would turn into a nasty brain rattling pinball machine ride I wouldn't want to be on.

I don't know the actual answer to this question, but look at it this way. How many cars do you see cross the centerline vs hitting the wall? Don't you think a driver is willing to take a bigger risk that they might catch it with knowing they have a full lane next to them and maybe just maybe they might miss the line and that foam block? Now put that same driver going out of the groove the other way towards the wall.. they are lifting a whole lot quicker because that wall doesn't move nor is it a little foam block. You can at least make them think twice about "going for it" with penalties like these.

One...... John crossed 3 times in 2 races..............and hit Jonnie so he is 1 for 3. Then you have that time in Dallas where he took out Kenny.................and............

One...... John crossed 3 times in 2 races..............and hit Jonnie so he is 1 for 3. Then you have that time in Dallas where he took out Kenny.................and............

Pretty sure you can't count Dallas as "driver error".

So what if the track DID have a wall instead of the centerline stripe? Could be concrete like the outer walls are now & would run all the way to 1/4 mile. Yeah, $$ to build it, but....

Center wall wouldn't work with break out classes, cant see the other car in relation to the stripe.

Pretty sure you can't count Dallas as "driver error".
Exactly. When the car snaps in half at the driver seat and everything in front of the driver including the steering wheel goes a different direction it's pretty hard to control the outcome.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back