NHRA TAFC A-fuel update (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
NHRA announces updates to the Injected Nitro Funny Car rules for 2023​
After lengthy discussions with Racers, the SRAC, the Top Alcohol Rules Committee and the Rules Review Panel; NHRA has made the following changes to the A/Fuel Funny Car combination for 2023:

• 2300 lb minimum weight; 5.35 lb/cubic inch
  • Maximum 90% nitromethane
  • Maximum 2” rear wicker

Thoughts? How long it take for this combination to run in the low 5.40s?

I think the trick will be getting the car off the line and the first 100 ft. It's my understanding that aero-mods won't take affect until about 80 mph. A clutch managemnt system?

Will this require a new chassis? Someone told me that the rules won't allow you to just switch to a nitro combination with an alcohol certified chassis. They also said that it's not going to be cheaper to run as some have said.

After lengthy discussions with Racers, the SRAC, the Top Alcohol Rules Committee and the Rules Review Panel; NHRA has made the following changes to the A/Fuel Funny Car combination for 2023:

• Maximum 2” rear wicker

Ehh...maybe, once there's actually some out there running and they get sorted out. The dragsters run 5.20s but they have a 175 pound weight advantage and they're allowed (I believe) 95% nitro.

I just don't see any real incentive to campaign a TA/FC, which is a class I enjoy but the fans walk off after the fuel stuff runs. NHRA doesn't pay diddley crap to TA/FC racers; they're cheaper than fuel cars to campaign but they're damn sure not cheap, sponsors are hard to find and you just gotta be well heeled and have a love for the class to even consider it. I like the idea of injected nitro but I don't see it saving this class.

• Maximum 2” rear wicker

90% is better than 85% but it will make little difference, still will not be competitive, 95% may get a few cars out..............................at 95% Boggs and Bartone will be out and then you'll know how well they can run. I'm still saying 100% and no fuel coolers.......think about a 3.00 gear and the mph..............still saying nothing sounds better than an injected motor on 100% t the starting line on the high side, badass

Not so much in the Big Show, But when the word Nitro pops up it may help the Lucas Oil series. These things are way more impressive when they are not over shadowed by GODZILLA.
Do the Lucas Oil Series cars have to have a Points minimum to run in the big show anymore?

I think adding EFI is pretty cool.

But, I hate that they keep talking about the Nostalgia bodies NOW being allowed. This is only a change for National events. For as long as I can remember, this has been allowed at Reginal or Divisional events, when they did those.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back