TF Chassis Update (1 Viewer)

DG

Nitro Member
Interesting! I saw this on NHRARACER.COM this morning:
Top Fuel SFI 2.3 Chassis Specification Update​
The current version of SFI specification 2.3, designated by SFI as Specification 2.3U dated effective May 7, 2021 (hereinafter “2.3U”), provides in part as follows on page 24, section VI, “TUBING SPECIFICATIONS – FRONT HALF”:

Tubing Minimum
Maximum Bay Length
1.25 x .065”​
34”​

At present, NHRA plans to amend the NHRA Rulebook for 2024 to provide that 2.3U will apply except that the “Tubing Minimum” for the front half top and bottom frame rails will be 1.25 x .058”.

SFI and the SFI Chassis Advisory Committee are continuing their review of 2.3U. For now, teams are being advised that they can purchase the necessary .058” raw material needed for the start of the 2024 season, but should not build any front halves for Top Fuel cars until further notification is published by the NHRA.

Maybe it will also mandate a different maximum bay length,shorter by by 3 or 4 inches,as they may not have got that hammered out yet with what will jive with the thinner wall tubing ?

Absolutly nothing wrong with .058 when several other factors are considered.......... I have several 50 year old front engine chassis out there still running along with dozens of 20-35 year old mid engine cars all over the planet still going strong without ever being front halved all with 1-1/4" x .058 wall ! But, as some know......I'm one of four "invalidated" guys with 160 years experience that are no longer available to share common sense !

The current spec per the rules allows .049" wall. The 2.3U spec, not yet a rule, was slated to go to .065" wall. They are backing down some and going to .058" but are also still finalizing the spec before it becomes rule. At least that's the way I understand it.

Absolutly nothing wrong with .058 when several other factors are considered.......... I have several 50 year old front engine chassis out there still running along with dozens of 20-35 year old mid engine cars all over the planet still going strong without ever being front halved all with 1-1/4" x .058 wall ! But, as some know......I'm one of four "invalidated" guys with 160 years experience that are no longer available to share common sense !
Bob
You always built great cars. Yes many are still out there. COMMON SENSE NOW 🤣
Sutton🤠

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back