Prominant FC chassis builder speaks his mind. (1 Viewer)

With all due respect to Grant Downing, Steve Plueger, et al; I believe the reason that more Murf McKinney cars have experienced failures is because there are tremendously more Murf cars being raced. It's the law of averages. If Grant Downing has 2 cars entered in an average qualifing field of say, 20 cars, Plueger has 1, and McKinney has 11 or 12, the opportunity for failure of a McKinney car is a lot higher than any other manufacturer.

Good point Tony! What even more suprising is that Murf's probably been building his cars the same for years and never had a problem till now!

atom_bomb_2.jpg

Randy,
Was that particular device heat treated or non-heat treated?
KS

Randy,
Was that particular device heat treated or non-heat treated?
KS
So everybody still feels the need to trash Murf..even though he has the backing of Force..and particularly John Medlin!! That speaks volumes to me right there.

Seems to me they'll get to the bottom of it, eh. Or is there just bad blood.

So everybody still feels the need to trash Murf..even though he has the backing of Force..and particularly John Medlin!! That speaks volumes to me right there.

Seems to me they'll get to the bottom of it, eh. Or is there just bad blood.

Sorry for kinking your tubing. There is no bad blood between Randy & I.

Sorry for kinking your tubing. There is no bad blood between Randy & I.
Not worried about you kinking my tubing, Kevin.

Just seems silly to have some throw Murf under the bus..when people like John Medlin are behind him. Nobody has more water in the tub than he does over this.

Right now someone needs to pull Murf out from in front of the bus before he gets hit. Maybe stepping aside from SFI or at least receiving some much needed input from other chassis builders, who are not experincing the same failures, would go along ways towards rectifing this problem. I know myself that even after 30 years in business, some of the best advice I receive is from the low man on the totempole. They have a much different view than I do. Knowledge is a very powerfull tool. I don't know everything and asking for help or advice is not a sign of weakness, but the willingness to expand and grow. Your correct, Medlen has lost the most, but does losing the most give you the correct direction and clearest vision to solve this problem. I don't know and would pray that I am never put in that position.
KS

Right now someone needs to pull Murf out from in front of the bus before he gets hit. Maybe stepping aside from SFI or at least receiving some much needed input from other chassis builders, who are not experincing the same failures, would go along ways towards rectifing this problem. I know myself that even after 30 years in business, some of the best advice I receive is from the low man on the totempole. They have a much different view than I do. Knowledge is a very powerfull tool. I don't know everything and asking for help or advice is not a sign of weakness, but the willingness to expand and grow. Your correct, Medlen has lost the most, but does losing the most give you the correct direction and clearest vision to solve this problem. I don't know and would pray that I am never put in that position.
KS

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only people who have posted about Murf being thrown under the bus are people asking why Murf is being thrown under the bus. Should he be?

The blast picture I posted is in reference to Bobby Bennett mentioning an article that is coming out on Competitionplus.com in the next day or two penned by Asher. It will be of great interest to everyone. Trust me. I know.

FYI, to turn my picture post into a "throwing under the bus" comment is quite a stretch.

All I have to say is "hang loose." You will be very enlightened.

Jeddi Knight, over and out.

RG

By the way, I started this thread as an informational response from a chassis builder who builds a lot of cars, including the car that cleaned house at Indy a couple years ago by winning the shootout and then the event itself giving them the substantial double-up bonus.

He doesn't have his "staff" building the cars. He does them the old fashioned way, one at a time on his jig to his standards and spec's. He was nice enough to dispell rumors put out that say "everyone's cars break." Guys like Steve Plueger and others won't comment on a board like this, but privately they will tell you exactly what Grant Downing said.

Thank you, Grant. Thank you for letting everyone on Nitromater inside the head of a talented guy like you who only wants the truth to be heard. Thank you for giving us the inside information on of one of the multi-car teams out there.

We are lucky to have him speak out. If that bothers you, so be it. Please tell me why no other chassis builders have dissagreed with Grant. Want to know why? You should have gone to the CCHR reunion last weekend and asked several of them that very question.

Jon Asher's article will clear a lot of it up for you.

RG

By the way, I started this thread as an informational response from a chassis builder who builds a lot of cars, including the car that cleaned house at Indy a couple years ago by winning the shootout and then the event itself giving them the substantial double-up bonus.

He doesn't have his "staff" building the cars. He does them the old fashioned way, one at a time on his jig to his standards and spec's. He was nice enough to dispell rumors put out that say "everyone's cars break." Guys like Steve Plueger and others won't comment on a board like this, but privately they will tell you exactly what Grant Downing said.

Thank you, Grant. Thank you for letting everyone on Nitromater inside the head of a talented guy like you who only wants the truth to be heard. Thank you for giving us the inside information on of one of the multi-car teams out there.

We are lucky to have him speak out. If that bothers you, so be it. Please tell me why no other chassis builders have dissagreed with Grant. Want to know why? You should have gone to the CCHR reunion last weekend and asked several of them that very question.

Jon Asher's article will clear a lot of it up for you.

RG

I told grant downing that you posted what he said , honestly I believe him

Jon Asher has finished our investigation of the Funny Car chassis issue and we will publish our article this week. We spoke to all the parties involved including those who declined to speak to us on the matter. Getting the story out first wasn't important to us as getting an accurate and comprehensive investigative story.

Stay tuned. This may very well be the strongest article that Jon Asher has penned in 40 years of drag racing journalism.
The end of the week is here and I don't see an article on your site. :confused:

IMHO, part of the problem is that in the past, the chassis specs were done by a committee of prominent chassis builders, along with SFI. Now, it seems, since Murf got a chassis program for his computer, NHRA & SFI rely solely on his word as to what should happen. In some cases, I would think practical application would be superior to a computer program. Perhaps this is one of them. I think it's time for NHRA to include all the chassis builders in the process to come up with the best specs. Murf has built some good cars, but he is not the end all, cure all of the chassis business.

Jon Asher has finished our investigation of the Funny Car chassis issue and we will publish our article this week. We spoke to all the parties involved including those who declined to speak to us on the matter. Getting the story out first wasn't important to us as getting an accurate and comprehensive investigative story.

Stay tuned. This may very well be the strongest article that Jon Asher has penned in 40 years of drag racing journalism.

Can someone direct me to this article? I can't find it. :confused:

Mr. Bennett, Mr.Asher, et.al

Did a quick speed read before coming in this morning, went home at lunch and did a med. read... printed out all 23 pages here at work, for a slow read tonight...

doesn't sound like a straight answer from anyone ... which is why I'm really taking my time with a hard copy tonight along with a note pad...

Thank You
Karl

Mr. Bennett, Mr.Asher, et.al

Did a quick speed read before coming in this morning, went home at lunch and did a med. read... printed out all 23 pages here at work, for a slow read tonight...

doesn't sound like a straight answer from anyone ... which is why I'm really taking my time with a hard copy tonight along with a note pad...

Thank You
Karl
This is exactly what anyone who gives a shit should be doing!! If you don't have more than a few questions of who and why's!! Then I understand that you don't understand, and are just a fan-

PARK THEM NOW!! FIX IT!!

$$$$!!!!! :mad:

Mr.A, Mr.B, especially et.al- I thank you all for "finally" bringing this issue to light- It has been kept on the inside, way too long!!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back