Steve Chrisman, Grant Downing VS John Force's scooter (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
Would have been a lot more interesting to see more on these two teams, but John's scooter needed a lot of airtime, I suppose.

Steve Chrisman ran a 3.99 first round which was a great run for the team.

Grant Downing is one of the top chassis builders but during his first round race rather than hearing about the pizza company that helped him we got all caught up on the mileage Force had on his scooter. Grant had some folks helping him out besides Worsham and a plug for his sponsors would have been nice when it was his turn up to bat.

By the way, the scooter DNQ'd.

While some of the regulars who aren't racing this year are away looking for sponsors I would like to see the TV guys give some TV time to those who actually showed up to race.

Just my 2 cents.

RG

Preach on brother Randy.

Steve ran a personal best today. It was a damn great run.
I keep waiting for a segment showing how Steve's car is different from the rest of the top fuelers. When that info comes to light, it will make today's numbers much more impressive to the uninformed. (hopefully)
Keep on keeping on, Steve and crew!!!

I wanted a segment on the Strasburg team last week (Denver) but alas, none to be found.
We need more Terry Haddock and Bill Miller too.

p.s. good luck Randy at the Sonoma divisional!!!

You might also notice that when they do show a car that has not bought marketing time with ESPN or NHRA that the names on the sides of the car are seldom visible. When I first noticed this, I thought it might be coincidental, but the more I watched, the more I became convinced that it is planned. And I think you will notice the lack of driver interviews with these teams also.

This goes for full time cars as well as the part timers.

you have to win races to be on tv. john has how many championships? how many round wins do chrisman and downing have? how many cars did they outqualify to make the show? personal bests are fantastic, but i would imagine a lot more fans (especially casual fans) would be more interested in john's scooter mileage than chrisman's personal best....sad as it seems to "the hardcore fan."

troy buff got some face time, right? simple as winning a race or two....

it's all about mean green, at least Sunday morning we got to see some body art, which helped some of the same ole crap, i agree need to see more than
the scooter and the cat, any air time for the unknow helps any future possiblities, but as my infamous crew chief always points out nobody gives a crap:confused:

The Goofy Goober :D

it's all about mean green, at least Sunday morning we got to see some body art, which helped some of the same ole crap, i agree need to see more than
the scooter and the cat, any air time for the unknow helps any future possiblities, but as my infamous crew chief always points out nobody gives a crap:confused:

The Goofy Goober :D

Oh, come on now, don't be knockin' Simba:p On A serious note, though, I think it is pretty damn amazing that she can bring a cat out in crowds like she does. They usually are not sociable animals. I know my cat would go ballistic!! Even though he is a big fan of Simba's!:D

I know I may ruffle a few feathers, but who cares. Instead of reporting on the scooter, they should be reporting on Ashley's driving and how if it doesn't improve she will have no chance at a title. She has a car capable of winning the championship, but the driver is lacking especially in reaction times. I don't think I have seen a driver in one year lose on a hole shot so many times in the fuel category. How may times has Tony Pedregon beat her on a hole shot this year? Her old man was never known as a great leaver, but when the trophy was on the line he would always rise to the occasion and cut a light good enough to win even though he had a big performance advantage.

I know I may ruffle a few feathers, but who cares. Instead of reporting on the scooter, they should be reporting on Ashley's driving and how if it doesn't improve she will have no chance at a title. She has a car capable of winning the championship, but the driver is lacking especially in reaction times. I don't think I have seen a driver in one year lose on a hole shot so many times in the fuel category. How may times has Tony Pedregon beat her on a hole shot this year? Her old man was never known as a great leaver, but when the trophy was on the line he would always rise to the occasion and cut a light good enough to win even though he had a big performance advantage.

Paul, I am the first one to get on Ashley about her rt's and have done so several times but yesterday she improved. She had a .081 and a .98. Not saying she still cant improve b/c she can but most importantly she needs to atleast keep them below .100. Not everyone is otherworldy like Tony P puting them down in the 20's to 50's all the time.

Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing,Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, Sweep the western swing, maybe PP could wait until the third race to repeat the phrase ad nauseum.

Was that not the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen? No wonder NHRA has to pay for airtime. I literally turned it off. I don't know what the hell they're trying to get across... but they're doing an injustice to the roots of the sport. Is this Mafia controlled?

Oh god, another expert on fuel driving. Please, give me a break!!! Let's see, I have heard opinions from such drivers as "The Snake", "Fast Jack", I know ya'll will blast me for this but I can't remember the guy's name,I think something King, that they had on the show, commented on her good driving and the way she has come along in the sport. And I know there are others. So I guess you can join Tony in the "I know it all" club!!!!:rolleyes: Cut the girl some slack she is doin' just fine. Oh, and I will ask you too, where is your fuel funny car time slip? I asked Tony the same thing and had a few people say," Oh, don't go there, Lynn"! But I have yet to see any time slips from him, either!!!:D;) Soooooooooooo????????

The 3.99 by Chrisman was pretty awesome. I would sure hope at the Sonoma event, they will talk to him about it, and also discuss what is different on his car then all the other cars, and tell folks why it was so impressive. I think they still run the clutch with no management, and I think they have a different fuel system too, but not quite sure.

I agree with how annoying the Force show has gotten on NHRA. Who knows though, with the direction things are going, it might someday be a 8 car JFR field. Think about it.. if his two upcoming daughters get FC's, thats a JFR team of 6 not far down the road. Unless John retires.

But with the amount of coverage that JFR gets, I bet theyre lined up to throw money his way, while some others that are showing up for the passion of the sport (not saying JFR is not passionate) have a tough time getting a sponsor, because its pretty tough getting a sponsor on board with a team no one has ever even heard of.

Side note.. I am under the impression that AAA kinda screwed Gary Densham. AAA went with Gary D to JFR for that one year. Then Gary left JFR, but AAA stayed with JFR. Today Gary D. has no sponsor, but AAA still a big part of JFR. Win situation for AAA, lose situation for Gary D. Is that how it went down? I'd love to see Gary D out there more often.

Last edited:
If you are referring to my boy Tony Smith. Then your comments are comical! Tony is the man. And believe me, he knows what he's talking about!

Randy, I knew someone had to be pulling their hair out besides me watching the scooter coverage. Look, I'm a long-time Force fan, but come on, to give that scooter so much airtime throughout the weekend, pleeeeeease... And they topped it off with Force's girls decorating Neff's trailer in Feng Shui fashion. There are SO many great stories waiting to be covered, and they just refuse to do it. Ya wanna know why people watch Pinks? Because it's unpredictable and has a ton of variety. I am a diehard follower of the big show, but it get's really repetative. I love when Troy Buff goes rounds because I get to see BME's bad arse looking fueler! Seriously, NHRA owes it to the part-timers who are putting forth the effort to fill in the gaps to give their drivers and sponsors some airtime. Guys like Haddock, Chrisman, Downing, etc., these are really interesting racers with great stories to tell, I hope someone wakes up to this.

Oh god, another expert on fuel driving. Please, give me a break!!! Let's see, I have heard opinions from such drivers as "The Snake", "Fast Jack", I know ya'll will blast me for this but I can't remember the guy's name,I think something King, that they had on the show, commented on her good driving and the way she has come along in the sport. And I know there are others. So I guess you can join Tony in the "I know it all" club!!!!:rolleyes: Cut the girl some slack she is doin' just fine. Oh, and I will ask you too, where is your fuel funny car time slip? I asked Tony the same thing and had a few people say," Oh, don't go there, Lynn"! But I have yet to see any time slips from him, either!!!:D;) Soooooooooooo????????

and what makes you an expert in the opposite??? You honestly think that Jack and Snake would criticize her on TV??? Lord knows i am the biggest Ashley fan around but there is room for improvement and she'd be the first to tell you so

and what makes you an expert in the opposite??? You honestly think that Jack and Snake would criticize her on TV??? Lord knows i am the biggest Ashley fan around but there is room for improvement and she'd be the first to tell you so
Well put kid. I could not have said it better.

I will commend Silver Fern Racing though. They were in the Denver pits, with a 25 foot white trailer, a 10 X 10 store-bought white awning covering the powerplant, with new uniforms... and Chuck Worsham. I think Grant will surprise some people.

Last edited:
Here is what a real journalistic enterprise would probably focus on at the race:

1)NHRA is now indebted to a dozen hobby racers around the country to fill their fields.

2)Pro Stock, where once their was talk of 32 car fields, is now seeing a hobby racer or two get a chance to be fodder for GA or Jeg.

3)3.99 from a bunch of guys who REALLY love racing and insist on doing it in a sane and cost effect way.

4)Why can't we have two lanes that are basically equal.

5)Why the economics of the sport preclude talent over funding.

6)The new DSR top fueler was all over the racing media this week. Can't someone grab a camcorder and cruise over to Nitro Alley in Indy and produce a 30 second package?

7)How about a package that compresses a crewman's life over a three race-three week stretch?

8)How about a package about Grant Downing burning the midnight oil to get himself some seat time (I have a three chip camcorder and live an hour away...)

Why are we overexposing "Pretty Boy" Ron Capps? It wouldn't be those dumb game commercials would it? Careful Ron, some of MW's lack of driving talent might rub off.

I don't know much about media, but I am pretty certain tons of people watching interesting and engaging television services sponsors much better than a dozen people watching Force's scooter, Ashley's cat and Ron Capps faking pugilistic talent. (His crew chief and Connie K. would have been MUCH better choices for the lame fighting segment).

Hey Phil, how about a blog on the great fighters of NHRA?

Mark

Last edited:
You know-if they had just 1 less segment about about the scooter (leaving the fans wanting more with only 8) they could have talked more about the "tackle fest". ( I DID hear PP say that--didnt I?)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back