Steve Chrisman (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
I'm glad to see Steve get some airtime, and also to see him become more competitive. The reason that I started this thread, is that was I correct in hearing during his interview that last year he spent $85K and took in $92K? If so, that's awesome. I heard him describe the tune-up he uses, which as an example, allows him to get over 40 runs on a crank, vs. 6-8 for the big guns. Why is NHRA spending time and money trying to find a combo to slow the cars and save money? Looks to me like they should talk to Steve. I know nothing is quite that simple, but you get my drift. I would gladly see 30 Steves out there running not quite as fast, than a few Steves trying to keep up with a few big dog teams.

I'm glad to see Steve get some airtime, and also to see him become more competitive. The reason that I started this thread, is that was I correct in hearing during his interview that last year he spent $85K and took in $92K? If so, that's awesome. I heard him describe the tune-up he uses, which as an example, allows him to get over 40 runs on a crank, vs. 6-8 for the big guns. Why isn't NHRA spending time and money trying to find a combo to slow the cars and save money? Looks to me like they should talk to Steve. I know nothing is quite that simple, but you get my drift. I would gladly see 30 Steves out there running not quite as fast, than a few Steves trying to keep up with a few big dog teams.

EXACTLY my contention / opinion also... we don't need any of the cars to go so fast for such great expense (in life and equipment).

Slow the damn cars down and get more people involved again!!

Larry Fulton

I agree, this is good stuff. Teams could afford NOT to qualify sometimes. It would be awesome to see 25 nitro teams show up to qualify.

I'm glad to see Steve get some airtime, and also to see him become more competitive. The reason that I started this thread, is that was I correct in hearing during his interview that last year he spent $85K and took in $92K? If so, that's awesome. I heard him describe the tune-up he uses, which as an example, allows him to get over 40 runs on a crank, vs. 6-8 for the big guns. Why is NHRA spending time and money trying to find a combo to slow the cars and save money? Looks to me like they should talk to Steve. I know nothing is quite that simple, but you get my drift. I would gladly see 30 Steves out there running not quite as fast, than a few Steves trying to keep up with a few big dog teams.

Kevin Meredyk doesn't want to spend Big Vinny's beer $$ on parts attrition, they like to save it for lunch at Fritz's

Vinnie's beer money...I'm more concerned about my own beer money. Besides this entire theory is to wacked out for people to grasp.

MeredykRhoades '12

Vinnie's beer money...I'm more concerned about my own beer money. Besides this entire theory is to wacked out for people to grasp.

MeredykRhoades '12

Ah yes, but if anyone can pull this wacked out racing theory off....it's you and Capt. Steve big dog!

Great win last week pimp....

If it hasn't been reported before -What a great line Steve came up with over the PA after beating Al Anabi.

"My dad owned a gas station, Dixon's car owner owns a COUNTRY!" or words to that effect.

Even trumped the Snake's "I've beaten rich guys before, but never a country" after World Finals

Steve Chrisman for VP on the Bill Miller for Pres ticket!

Is Chrismans combination just not as hard on parts or is he intentionally not running it hard? If someone with lots of money came along and ran an identical combination would they be hard on parts like they are now. Or does Chrisman's combination just naturally easier on the parts?

he runs his car soft way softer, less rpms likely less pump, the parts he has on his car are not that much different, he races within his means. Something that Terry Haddock should be doing, to sacrifice so much (in Terrys case) is just not productive or healthy.
Dean

Is Chrismans combination just not as hard on parts or is he intentionally not running it hard? If someone with lots of money came along and ran an identical combination would they be hard on parts like they are now. Or does Chrisman's combination just naturally easier on the parts?

It sounds like he runs it pretty soft. When he was talking about controlling the number of RPMs at the hit it made good sense. He could turn it up if he wanted too.

It was also interesting that he has a lock up now, I didn't think he had one when he started running the car.

I can understand what drives these guys. They must sit in that drivers seat and dream "Its indy greatest race last round of qualifying they are on the bump spot them bam they go out and set number one qualifier then they go the rounds and through holeshots and shear luck and then wow they win that wally". That would drive anybody to keep trying.

I think he touched on the lock-up clutch on TV. He has one but it still isn't the same as the most of the other guys, I'm not sure what the difference is. He obviously has all good parts, the biggest thing, as mentioned, seems to be the RPMs he's running. I was also thinking, manufacturers may not be happy if fuel teams stopped eating so many parts, BUT, there would be a LOT more teams racing.

Steve has it on survival mode. This is what he wants to do. Rather than playing golf he'd rather line up up against Cory Mac or Schumacher on Sunday.

By survival mode, I mean he knows his budget and runs his car hard but within his budget. He pays his bills on time, doesn't have people looking for him, keeps the guy in the other lane honest and is having fun.

Imagine going to work on Monday and one of your co-workers asks "How as your weekend?" You reply by saying "Pretty good. Took out Dixon first round."

RG

I met Steve in Vegas around 3 years ago, nice guy! I asked him about his tune-up, costs, etc... Like RG said he races his budget, but he is also not concerned about Round wins either. Racing to have fun and racing to win are two different things!

Racing to have fun and racing to win are two different things!

EXACTLY.

This is why Steve's tuneup will not save anyone any money besides Steve. He is using a lot of the same parts as everyone else, and the guys with the budgets will put it on kill to win. Steve won't (and kudos to him).

Last edited:
I think he touched on the lock-up clutch on TV. He has one but it still isn't the same as the most of the other guys, I'm not sure what the difference is.

It's probably a standard clutch with it's primary levers, and a set of lock up levers that come in all at once, with no progression inbetween.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back